Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Deep Thought »

Agent Earle wrote:Hmmm, worth considering when I'll be having my second viewing of MD, I guess. Here's another (rather recent) flick that deals with "the dark side of the dream factory" extensively and feverishly - David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars. What an excellent piece of work!
Thanks for this rec! I had never heard of this movie from one of my favorite directors. Distancing oneself from the current culture has many benefits, but some definite drawbacks. I will be watching this as soon as my Blu Ray arrives.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Deep Thought wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Hmmm, worth considering when I'll be having my second viewing of MD, I guess. Here's another (rather recent) flick that deals with "the dark side of the dream factory" extensively and feverishly - David Cronenberg's Maps to the Stars. What an excellent piece of work!
Thanks for this rec! I had never heard of this movie from one of my favorite directors. Distancing oneself from the current culture has many benefits, but some definite drawbacks. I will be watching this as soon as my Blu Ray arrives.
I must watch it too then!
ExistenZ, Naked Lunch, The Fly, and even the Dead Zone are great !!! Very unsettling movies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
starmand
Roadhouse Member

Post by starmand »

Or my favorite Cronenberg, The Brood. Talk about Tulpas!
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I honestly don't think I've ever watched anything where my feelings on whether it's good or bad have ping-ponged back and forth so dramatically . . . and within the space of a minute of thinking about it. I've reversed course on many movies, but I can't even pick a side on this. Is anybody else having this reaction?

These next two hours have to be pretty much flawless in execution for this to turn out how it should. I'm hoping against hope that they didn't pull out some "it was a dream" bullshit, or a final season of "Lost" deal. The show is going to be judged by how these hours turn out. I was hoping for Part 16 to set it off in the right direction, but aside from just the fact of Cooper being back, it did little to instill confidence that this series is going to go out well.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

IcedOver wrote:I honestly don't think I've ever watched anything where my feelings on whether it's good or bad have ping-ponged back and forth so dramatically . . . and within the space of a minute of thinking about it. I've reversed course on many movies, but I can't even pick a side on this. Is anybody else having this reaction?

These next two hours have to be pretty much flawless in execution for this to turn out how it should. I'm hoping against hope that they didn't pull out some "it was a dream" bullshit, or a final season of "Lost" deal. The show is going to be judged by how these hours turn out. I was hoping for Part 16 to set it off in the right direction, but aside from just the fact of Cooper being back, it did little to instill confidence that this series is going to go out well.
We'll find out that Cooper and Audrey are stranded on an island, which is also a sort of purgatory. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

yaxomoxay wrote:We'll find out that Cooper and Audrey are stranded on an island, which is also a sort of purgatory.
Yes, and before he decides to shove off back to the real world, he'll leave Andy in charge by drinking water with him out of the same cup and saying "Now you are like me."
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

re. Al Strobel.

I wonder if the reason we've heard little in the way of new, very recognisable material from Badalamenti is age related. I know there has been a smattering of new tunes but nothing comparable to first time round.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Deep Thought wrote:
I must watch it too then!
ExistenZ, Naked Lunch, The Fly, and even the Dead Zone are great !!! Very unsettling movies!
The book that inspired it was amazing. Completely different plot, and called Dead Stars by the same screenwriter, Bruce Wagner. It's one of John Waters' favorites, so connect those dots.

Anyone in the BEE digressions in this thread should check out Dead Stars, too. It's insane.
Last edited by sylvia_north on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Too Old to Die Young > TP S03
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

judasbooth wrote:While Blue Velvet may be his most personal, and therefore authentic, work, I beleive that MD was sourced from a similar place. Lynch drew on his experiences as a mature film maker and understood that for every Hollywood success, there are tens of thousands of broken dreams. There have been countless Diane Selwyns and there will be countless more. But apart from classics like Sunset Boulevard and The Player, the dark side of the dream factory is rarely examined in any great detail. MD works for me because it is a a story of human tragedy, not a loose collection of artsy vignettes that add up to less than the sum of their parts... like TPTR.
Bravo! Now, had he not filmed it before, is it a fair question whether the Lynch of today would have filmed the same kind of MD today if he was set to do it? I think that is a fair question, and my answer to it would be no.
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

boske wrote: Bravo! Now, had he not filmed it before, is it a fair question whether the Lynch of today would have filmed the same kind of MD today if he was set to do it? I think that is a fair question, and my answer to it would be no.
He did, it's called TPTR. MD was imagined as an TP spinoff at some point, correct? About Audrey, if I'm not mistaken? I wonder if he recycled any of those old ideas.

And then, ya know, wrote things off the seat of his pants like he did with IE; making it up as he went along- all things from the Unified Field style creativity. IE had no script before shooting, I did not know that until I read DL Swerves
Attachments
screen-shot-2017-08-30-at-12-3.png
screen-shot-2017-08-30-at-12-3.png (226.8 KiB) Viewed 8115 times
Last edited by sylvia_north on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

sylvia_north wrote:
boske wrote: Bravo! Now, had he not filmed it before, is it a fair question whether the Lynch of today would have filmed the same kind of MD today if he was set to do it? I think that is a fair question, and my answer to it would be no.
He did, it's called TPTR. MD was imagined as an TP spinoff at some point, correct? About Audrey, if I'm not mistaken? I wonder if he recycled any of those old ideas.
Yes, that would be the most likely outcome.
sylvia_north wrote: And then, ya know, wrote things off the seat of his pants like he did with IE no script, making it up as he went along and then applied connections later- all things from the Unified Field style creativity.
We will all here definitely have a very lively conversation just after the show has concluded. :D
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

douglasb wrote:I wonder if the reason we've heard little in the way of new, very recognisable material from Badalamenti is age related. I know there has been a smattering of new tunes but nothing comparable to first time round.
Yesterday I found out that even the few new tunes are not from Badalamenti but from a guy named Dean Hurley.

boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

douglasb wrote:re. Al Strobel.

I wonder if the reason we've heard little in the way of new, very recognisable material from Badalamenti is age related. I know there has been a smattering of new tunes but nothing comparable to first time round.
I am not sure about that. He is probably retired, so readjusting to composing might take some time (when I get back from a mere two week vacation it takes a bit to get back into the groove). His two restaurant pieces are really good, but if on average we do not get what we used to get before, it could be attributed to other things (two, which are actually a single one when you look at it, and it all ties to these character development issues we talked about):
  • He has not read the full script either, so it is hard to connect to characters. I mean, how would he write a "Diane's Theme" if there was to be one? Could the conversation go like this: "Well, here is this character Diane, so I can't tell you where she comes from, what happened to her and Cooper, what she does for living now. But hey, she f's off anybody she comes in contact with and drinks a lot, is that enough?"
  • When Lynch describes characters to him, he does not look at that from the same angle that he would have looked at them 25 years ago; Even Laura's theme might have ended up sounding very differently today "Angelo, you are in the woods, there is a girl, she is lonely and afraid, and then there is this sound of electricity buzzing and a vortex forming above her head".
sylvia_north
RR Diner Member

Post by sylvia_north »

Aqwell wrote:Yesterday I found out that even the few new tunes are not from Badalamenti but from a guy named Dean Hurley.
Yep! I've had that album on repeat since I found out about it a couple weeks ago. I think it came up in the soothing noises conversation on this thread, but hasn't been discussed too much on this thread. I noticed one song when Mr C kills Ray and in the part 16 driving scene right away. Hurley has been Lynch's music guy since Neff. The Air is On Fire was also Lynch/Hurley collaboration.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I like what Dean Hurley did, I hope it gets out on CD so I can snatch it.