Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Re: Part 16 - No knock, no doorbell (SPOILERS)

Post by IcedOver »

Deep Thought wrote:Lazy plotting, oh har har. That's a joke, right? It's safe to say you are missing something.
So then do you just want to laugh, or enlighten me? And no, it's not a joke.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

@iced over
I'm sure this has been discussed a lot, but humor me as someone who only watched this episode once and didn't much like it. Mr. Cooper said that he received coordinates from three people. One would be Ray, whose coordinates obviously led to the rock. The other would be Jeffries, whose probably led to that as well. However, Diane hadn't yet relayed the coordinates from Ruth's arm, correct? Is this just lazy plotting (not unusual for this show), or am I missing something?
as i understand it, she sent them in an earlier ep., but she sent the wrong ones, or incomplete. Jeffries and Ray sent the right ones, that matched, but for the wrong place, the place where MR C would die. When Diane receives message, she 1) remembers who she is for MR C ( a servant) and so sends right or complete co-ords, and hen goes off to kill everyone but at the same time 2) remembers what she is for other Coop ( her original self) and has to tell everyone what she has done. She couldn't not do it because she is programmed but she is aware she is betraying her ex-mates. Before this '' ALL'' message this conflict was resolved ( in her ) by her sending the incomplete ones to MR C. This is no longer possible when given a direct instruction. Hence she implodes.

that was my understanding anyway. More or less.
Last edited by referendum on Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Thanks "referendum". I wasn't sure if she had actually sent him coordinates or just looked them up on her phone to find that it was Twin Peaks.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

IcedOver wrote:Thanks "referendum". I wasn't sure if she had actually sent him coordinates or just looked them up on her phone to find that it was Twin Peaks.
I'm more interested in where you think the lazy plotting is. If it is typical of the show, as you say, I haven't noticed it.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
FlyingSquirrel
RR Diner Member

Post by FlyingSquirrel »

Snailhead wrote:I don't think this is gonna happen, but it would definitely be quite a shock to have it revealed that we've not been in the real Roadhouse all along - we finally see Julee Cruise perform, and she's totally off key, the building is in disrepair, and the crowd is pitifully small.
I also doubt that, though I wouldn't be surprised if Julee Cruise does turn up in a Roadhouse scene in the last episode. It would seem like the most likely time for her to appear given that they didn't use her in the first Roadhouse scene. (Unless she's retired and/or already known not to be included in the series?)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

gary2381 wrote:Curious how the part ended with Audrey looking into a mirror. It made me think of the first episode of season two where Shelly visits Leo. Leo is in a coma but they have a mirror up close just a few inches from his face.
That's a good observation, and a very creepy shot of Leo. The Audrey scene also reminded me of the first scene of Twin Peaks (Josie looking in a mirror), and the final scene of Twin Peaks (Coop smashing his head into the mirror and laughing). Grappling with and coming to terms with one's reflection (or true self) was a major theme of the initial series, and it continues to be a theme in the new series as well.
DopplerDonut

Post by DopplerDonut »

FlyingSquirrel wrote:
Troubbble wrote:What do we make of the guy who dispatched Hutch and Chantal? Was that "random" and just an exercise in subverting expectations? Felt like maybe more, but I'm at a total loss.
Yeah, I think he's just a jerk with a gun. I'd call it road rage, except he wasn't exactly driving. Curb rage, maybe?
It's a warning to be nicer to accountants :)
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:Small venues that have developed a reputation for having good bands or for helping to get good bands started often have no trouble pulling in big bands.

That people object to this just shows they've never gone to one of these venues before. When I lived in San Diego a small place called the Casbah brought in big acts like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, the Chili Peppers, etc. And these days I'm right down the street from a place in SLC called the Urban Lounge that regularly books big and small bands.

Often I find the people claiming something isn't realistic or is impossible just don't really have any knowledge of what they're talking about. And yet they continue to talk.

This especially applies to critics of The Return.
I'm certainly no critic, I am completely enamored with this show. And I have a lot of knowledge of venues, I played 120 shows a year for 12 years worldwide with a touring rock band.

Wasn't meant to be a criticism, just a possibility
I'm back in style!
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

Fashion Suicide wrote:I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but when Diane receives the ":-) ALL" message in the bar the time on her phone shows 16:31, and later in the hotel room she looks again, and it shows 15:50.

What do you think this means?

Skærmbillede 2017-08-30 kl. 15.24.15 (2).png

Skærmbillede 2017-08-30 kl. 15.24.44 (2).png
I think it's intentional. It takes effort to change the color of the font and that has been done with the "ALL" text at least in the pictures. I think what Lynch is implying here is an over-exaggeration. Now it's good for everyone to think about it, if you feel so. :)

[edit]

The pictures are shown on page 48 the last post.
Last edited by TPDpz on Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think it's entirely possible that DKL doesn't know how cell phones work and thinks the timestamp updates each time the message is loaded or something. Or, he does know how they work but decided it would be cooler if they worked differently.
Deep Thought
RR Diner Member

Post by Deep Thought »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Or, he does know how they work but decided it would be cooler if they worked differently.
Yeah, love this.
There's your roast beef and cheese.
DopplerDonut

Post by DopplerDonut »

I found it interesting, how Albert and Tammy were ready for Diane the Tulpa. Almost as if Albert told Tammy what a tulpa might do under stress ...
djsunyc
RR Diner Member

Post by djsunyc »

i am absolutely dreading next sunday at 10pm when we may never get another episode of twin peaks again...
Elric99
Roadhouse Member

Post by Elric99 »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Panapaok wrote:
Ragnell wrote:
No, that'd make him 9 or 10 months older than Richard.
No. I mean that he was created 25 years ago but he had the same age with Cooper. I don't know, that somehow makes sense to me. I always sucked at math though, so I'm not really sure. :lol:
This is all based on Cooper being 35 at the time so I'm not sure how that makes sense either haha.
Haven't read whole thread, but has anyone mentioned the idea of "hibernation" ala Major Briggs?
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

AgentEcho wrote:I doubt we will get any explicit clarity on what has been real or not at The Roadhouse (other than Audrey's Dance). But I'm definitely questioning the objective reality of James' performance now (it may have been in the future but Renee has never otherwise seemed enamored by him). And I think anyone who has trouble with the credibility of the Roadhouse booking big acts can probably question the objective reality of all those scenes.
Audrey's Dance made me question whether or not James' performance was real, as well. Renee does say "there's something wrong with that guy," in Part 2, so the scene with her crying over his performance seems like quite a leap. It does seem like something James might imagine as a scenario where she falls in love with him. I like James, but maybe in this instance he's just a legend in his own mind.

I don't really know what to think of the Roadhouse scenes as a whole - whether they are real or some sort of projection of different characters' thoughts, dreams, etc. I think there is one shot of the lights outside before the epic sweeping scene where all four lights are lit instead of just the three that are lit whenever there are performances, but I don't know if that has any meaning. I thought maybe it was some sort of code for shady dealings like the light at the top during the original series that warned Jacques to stay away.