POLL - PART 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Part 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

It was all a dream
5%
Cooper dies
7%
Annie Blackburn
5%
Harry S. Truman
10%
Laura Palmer
23%
Ray Wise (Leland Palmer or other character)
6%
Judy
14%
Josie Packard
1%
Catherine Martell
1%
Pete Martell
6%
Chet Desmond
2%
Billy
2%
Becky is dead
1%
Someone from TP Sheriff Station dies (specify in comments)
No votes
Cooper retires and lives a happy life with Janey-E
4%
Freddie kills DoppelCoop
2%
Naido is Diane
7%
Candie has Laura's spirit
4%
Other (please specify)
2%

Total votes: 168
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Re: POLL - PART 17 & 18's biggest surprises will be...

Post by Ragnell »

I don't think it will "all be a dream", but I bet we find out that Audrey's dreams are bleeding into reality, or rather, the material world since the dreamworld (the Lodge dimension) is just as real as the waking world in Twin Peaks. When those two girls in the Roadhouse had a discussion of Billy, something was WEIRD there. I bet that's a material world scene, and the two girls were picking up some psychic signal from Audrey. I don't think Billy exists.

In that case, though, when Audrey wakes up we won't see the timeline change or the circumstances change, but we'll see people acting nor--err, only as weird as one normally acts in Twin Peaks.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Gabriel wrote:How did you cope with Inland Empire, Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr then? The only reason for humorously suggesting Audrey is a manipulated dreamer is Lynch's history of blending dreams and reality.
This show isn't those movies. The reality shifting grew organically out of those movies (not as much with "MD" where it was violently and unsuccessfully shoehorned into an existing pilot's stories). With this show, any kind of reality shift, or to say that it was all a dream, would be completely inappropriate given what we've had for the whole run. It would be cheap and lazy.

At most, I'm hoping that Audrey is some kind of abductee of otherworldly forces/aliens, whether it's the Woodsmen or whomever (and the Woodsmen electricity sound accompanied her looking into the mirror). That has a precedent in the series and the book. Dream bleeding and reality manipulation are outside ideas.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

I'm still hoping for a short scene with Harry. Why else mention him so often?

Biggest surprise: Sky Germany will accidentally mess up the episode order again and label Part 18 as 17 and Part 17 as 18. Though that wouldn't really be a surprise...
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:I'm really hoping that after all these years, we'll find out what in the hell "I feel like I know her, but sometimes my arms bend back" meant.
Yeh, that was cringingly literal enough. I don't get why some people need every abstraction to be explained. The line was perfect on its own; its impact is weakened by explanation.
Good lord - "some people need every abstraction to be explained?" :roll:

There is quite a bit in Twin Peaks that is subjective, and I never interpreted that line as being literal - just an opinion. I don't know how a desire to explore or reveal one line from the entire series qualifies me or anyone else as needing "every abstraction explained." If that is the case, I'm not sure what we're all doing here.
Terence
Roadhouse Member

Post by Terence »

Soolsma wrote:
Terence wrote:Why in the hell are the final two parts not just edited together?
Ummmm... they are.?I think it's gonna be the same way that part 1 & 2 were edited together, at least on first airing. After that I've also seen a version of part 1 which ends after Hastings is in jail, with credits rolling over a silent still life shot of the Fireman.

No it has been said many times from other sources & i see it my on TV guide that the final 2 parts are not edited together which as i said they should be.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Hester Prynne wrote:I'm really hoping that after all these years, we'll find out what in the hell "I feel like I know her, but sometimes my arms bend back" meant.
I have an inkling on that one. The Experiment's arms bend backward as she vomits forth her children in Part 8. It made me think that Laura is saying "I think I know who I am sometimes, but then I do something so horrible and it feels like it comes from somewhere else, like someone else is making me act and the person I thought I was isn't making the decisions." Basically, the backwards arms are her being tied, but also a representation of corruption and the Mother of Abominations. "But sometimes my arms bent back" is when the corruption of BOB seeps in and he's trying to possess her. In the context of FWWM, this makes a lot of sense as you watch Laura try and rectify her self-image with these destructive and cruel impulses she acts on.
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

I'm really surprised at how many votes Pete is getting. It would surely be nice a small tribute
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

My predictions for the ending:

Becky is dead and her death will end up saving Shelly and Bobby's relationship. Their grief will bring them close again.

Red will be arrested and locked in a cell next to Chad.

The real Diane is 'hidden' inside Naido. Naido is some kind of 'outside shell' to hide Diane from any danger. The shell will break and Diane will emerge from it like coming out of an egg.

Freddie Sykes will join Coop and together they will fight and defeat the doppelganger.

Cooper will join Laura's tulpa (Judy) and they will deal with whatever is inside Sarah and save her.

The One Armed Man will deliver a new Dougie and Cooper will send him in Janey-E's way.

The Mitchum Brothers will fall in love with TP and buy a property in town.

Cooper and Audrey will reunite and realize they both lost 25 years of their lives, so they'll deal with this together.

Frank will receive a call that Harry is getting better and might be fully recovered any time now (but we won't see him). Frank will smile and say to Harry that there's a surprise for him back in town when he gets back (Cooper).

Julee Cruise will make a playback of Falling at the Roadhouse.

The End.
Ragnell
RR Diner Member

Post by Ragnell »

Bushnell, who has not punched anyone all series, will punch one of the FBI guys in the scene where he reads that message to Gordon.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

It's hard to make predictions for the upcoming 2 episodes, as Audrey's mirror moment sort of placed the reality of everything we've seen so far into doubt. I'm not sure what has really happened and what has been some sort of dream/fantasy. Has the entire show up to this point been a dream, has only The Return been a dream, are the Vegas and South Dakota scenes real and the Twin Peaks scenes a dream, or are some things real and some things imagines, like maybe the Roadhouse sequences?

I'm expecting Cooper and his posse to arrive in Twin Peaks, only to find it be a completely different town than what we've been seeing this entire season. Maybe some roles will be reversed when he arrives:

- Bobby is a creepy drug dealer, and Red is an upstanding sheriff's deputy
- Shelly is having drug freak outs in the woods, and Gerstyn Haywood is an perky (yet precocious) waitress at the RR
- Beverly Paige invents silent drape runners, and Nadine Hurley works as Ben Horne's assistant/lover, while husband Ed Hurley is bedridden with an illness
- Eamon Farren (Richard Horne) and Michael Cera (Wally Brando) could switch characters
- James is a corrupt and morally compromised sheriff's deputy, while Chad is a sensitive musician who sings in a high pitched voice

And there could be other differences, like Norma having sold the Double R to Walter & Associates, and retiring to Pete and Catherine's old house. Maybe Harry Truman would be back on duty in this world, and married to Doris Truman. It would even be funny to see Carl Rodd and Ben Horne swap places, but that might be too much.

I'm sure there would be one or two characters that would remember the other timeline (or dream), like Hawk, Carl Rodd, or even Jerry Horne. Maybe Sarah Palmer still has that odd blackness behind her face here as well.

And this is my prediction for episodes 17 and 18.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Ragnell wrote:
I have an inkling on that one. The Experiment's arms bend backward as she vomits forth her children in Part 8. It made me think that Laura is saying "I think I know who I am sometimes, but then I do something so horrible and it feels like it comes from somewhere else, like someone else is making me act and the person I thought I was isn't making the decisions." Basically, the backwards arms are her being tied, but also a representation of corruption and the Mother of Abominations. "But sometimes my arms bent back" is when the corruption of BOB seeps in and he's trying to possess her. In the context of FWWM, this makes a lot of sense as you watch Laura try and rectify her self-image with these destructive and cruel impulses she acts on.
This is a great interpretation. BTW, I've really enjoyed reading all of your great posts during this series, Ragnell. Thanks for another one!
David Locke
RR Diner Member

Post by David Locke »

Cappy wrote:It's hard to make predictions for the upcoming 2 episodes, as Audrey's mirror moment sort of placed the reality of everything we've seen so far into doubt. I'm not sure what has really happened and what has been some sort of dream/fantasy. Has the entire show up to this point been a dream, has only The Return been a dream, are the Vegas and South Dakota scenes real and the Twin Peaks scenes a dream, or are some things real and some things imagines, like maybe the Roadhouse sequences?

I'm expecting Cooper and his posse to arrive in Twin Peaks, only to find it be a completely different town than what we've been seeing this entire season. Maybe some roles will be reversed when he arrives:

- Shelly is having drug freak outs in the woods, and Gerstyn Haywood is an perky (yet precocious) waitress at the RR
- Beverly Paige invents silent drape runners, and Nadine Hurley works as Ben Horne's assistant/lover, while husband Ed Hurley is bedridden with an illness
- Eamon Farren (Richard Horne) and Michael Cera (Wally Brando) could switch characters
- James is a corrupt and morally compromised sheriff's deputy, while Chad is a sensitive musician who sings in a high pitched voice

And there could be other differences, like Norma having sold the Double R to Walter & Associates, and retiring to Pete and Catherine's old house. Maybe Harry Truman would be back on duty in this world, and married to Doris Truman. It would even be funny to see Carl Rodd and Ben Horne swap places, but that might be too much.

I'm sure there would be one or two characters that would remember the other timeline (or dream), like Hawk, Carl Rodd, or even Jerry Horne. Maybe Sarah Palmer still has that odd blackness behind her face here as well.

Honestly this is the most interesting prediction I've read yet. I'm not sure if I love it or hate it, but nicely done :)
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

However it ends, I kind of hope it ends with all the characters in life-or-death jams like the S1 and S2 finales. Maybe Becky's death is found not to be caused by Steven, and Steven only assumed he did it after finding her body, because he was too high and paranoid. This could lead to a new whodunnit. A new mystery arises, or the old mystery grows, necessitating Cooper staying in Twin Peaks to work the case.

This can be the last season, but I want the mystery to keep going.
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Cappy wrote:It's hard to make predictions for the upcoming 2 episodes, as Audrey's mirror moment sort of placed the reality of everything we've seen so far into doubt. I'm not sure what has really happened and what has been some sort of dream/fantasy. Has the entire show up to this point been a dream, has only The Return been a dream, are the Vegas and South Dakota scenes real and the Twin Peaks scenes a dream, or are some things real and some things imagines, like maybe the Roadhouse sequences?

This sort of thing has already been done both by Mulholland Drive and St. Elsewhere, (and oddly, even the series finale of Rosanne did something like this) and it would open Lynch to a lot of criticism of being out of ideas, I think. I don't think this will happen, though I do find your post interesting to contemplate.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

- Nathan Frizzell inexplicably redubs everyone except Gordon
- the infamous TMZ/spoiler thread scene was the only scene shot that ended up on the cutting-room floor
- the entire two hours takes place on the plane, with Cooper and the Mitchums, fading to credits as they fly over the "Welcome to Twin Peaks" sign
- Tammy enters Miss Twin Peaks and does a contortionist jazz exotica dance