Introductions

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
Gozu

Re: Introductions

Post by Gozu »

My name is Paul and I'm 34 from Newcastle upon Tyne in England. I have been interesed in anything Lynch related since I was 18 when I caught the last few episodes of Twin Peaks on BBC2 in England.After that I was hooked into everything.I particularly like recent releases like
Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, Inland Empire but also Elephant Man and Eraserhead as well as the shorts.Went to see FWWM half a dozen times at cinema (man did they think I was weird!), and I will always remember the feeling coming away from seeing Mulholland Drive for the
first time at the cinema (amazing!). I find Lynch's work inspiring for my own work and projects even though they are in no way related to film and art, I think its great that he can have such a positive effect through what he does. Oh yeah and before I write too much I also love
Blood of the Poet, Orpheus, Dreams that Money Can Buy and all kindsa stuff like that.Oh and Buffy the Vampire Slayer too!

Good to meet you all, looking forward to discussing everything Lynch!
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Hello, my name is Arne-Ingar, I am 33 years old and am originally from Oslo, Norway. Have been living the last 4+ years in Scotland (UK), and the last year in the city of Glasgow.

I have always had a passion for film and music, which may be part of the reason why I fell in love with the world of Twin Peaks, where they both play an important part. I was 15 when I saw the pilot on the main & for many years (up until the late 80s) only Norwegian TV channel NRK. It was Saturday 17th of November, 1990, and I had already read about the series in the newspaper that day and what I read had triggered my curiosity although rather unfamiliar with David Lynch' earlier work. From the moment the music started playing over the beautiful landscapes I knew this would be special. From that moment I was sold, and I would be more and more intrigued by the series as the episodes kept coming and the plot thickened. It was also the talk at school on Mondays after the weekend as it was sent on Friday and Saturday nights in Norway. It was on everybody's lips. When the last episode aired in June 1991 (in Norway) was a sad day, and I missed the presence of Twin Peaks on Friday nights which I had got so used to.

From that moment on I started checking out David Lynch's other work. I remember I went to see Wild At Heart at the cinema despite not being old enough to see it (I was only 16, and it had an 18 age limit). Caught both Blue Velvet and Industrial Symphony on TV. Even rented Twin Peaks with the European ending from the local video store. I was so thrilled when I found out they were making the prequel film Fire Walk With Me and couldn't wait to see it. I suppose my expectations were sky high, and at first I was therefore a bit disappointed. But still very fascinated with the film. After repeated viewings I liked it more and more and is now among my all-time favourite films. I now think David Lynch was way ahead of time with this movie.

Unfortunately never got to see Lost Highway in the cinema, but watched it when the VHS was released, and it was another film that intrigued me - although not to standard of Twin Peaks, nothing could beat that. But Mulholland Drive which I saw in the cinema in early 2002 came very close. I couldn't stop thinking about it after I saw it the first time, and what it all meant. By this time I started collecting David Lynch's films on DVD and today have more or less all his films/TV series on DVD. Not all of them to my liking and taste, but all of them feels like a piece of art in my opinion. They are unique.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

I'm Richard. I'm 29 and live in Los Angeles and actually work in the film business as a junior exec at a production company. And I have David Lynch and Dale Cooper to thank for it! Not directly really, but I became increasingly curious about TWIN PEAKS when it aired as I was creeped out and intrigued by the commercials and began hearing more and more people talk about it. My parents were fairly protective (wisely) and wouldn't let me watch it as they felt it was too adult and too disturbing, despite my begging and pleading. In '91 the VHS of the international version of the pilot was released, and when a friend bought it I finally was able to see it. And was, quite simply, blown away. I was pretty much in love by the end of the opening credits, to be honest (Badalamenti's music has always been key for me). I was spellbound and completely mesmerized for 2 hours, from Pete finding Laura's body on the beach through the Red Room sequence. It's still probably the best 2 hours of film I've ever watched, on the big screen or TV, at least for my personal taste. I couldn't stop thinking about it for days after, and had a hard time sleeping that night, being fairly convinced that BOB was hiding at the end of my bed. :)

Sadly, my parents still weren't keen on me watching it and it was nearing the end of its run by that point anyway, so it wasn't until a couple of years later when Bravo re-broadcast it that I was finally able to see the series in its entirely, and then sought out Lynch's other work to feed my addiction after that. My father then recommended Bergman and Kubrick, PULP FICTION came out in theaters, and I was well on my way to becoming a film geek, and eventually pursued it as a career. I love most of Lynch's work (I still have yet to make my way through all of DUNE), but PEAKS and FWWM still stand above the rest as my favorites. I can't count how many times I've seen the series and the film, and at this point probably have most of it memorized. I've been fortunate enough to meet David Lynch, Mark Frost and Kyle MacLachlan over the past few years, and thanks to a wedding in Seattle last month was finally able to take a couple of days to visit the filming sites, which was a real treat after fantasizing about it all these years!

So that's my story. Great being able to chat with everyone on here! I've tried showing the series to several of my friends, with varying results. It's always interesting to me how so many of them decide to call it quits at various points during Season 2, and a lot of them chalk up Lynch's stuff to pretentious, pointless weirdness. So it's great having a place to talk about this stuff with people that "get it"!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

Im 17 years old. I might be going to the university of Iowa next year trying to major in cinema. I got into David Lynch films when my friend showed me Eraserhead a year ago. I have since then gotten into all of David Lynch's films. Seeing eraserhead, pulp fiction and taking a film class last year made me want to be a film director.
iluvtwinpeaks

hello everyone!

Post by iluvtwinpeaks »

hello!

i am new to this board, but i am so in love with twin peaks, and i think that this website has some really interesting discussions about twin peaks and it is always fun to read! so i decided i would finally join. i didn't know anything about twin peaks until two summers ago when my sister's friend leant me his dvds and i started watching it and i totally got hooked. (my sister hated it lol but i couldnt stop watching it). i now own the gold box set and i have watched the entire series over and over. it really is the most interesting television show i have ever seen, it is like nothing that in my opinion has ever been on television! it is so neat to think that it hasn't been on tv for so long yet there are so many people that enjoy watching it and talking about it still. i love the characters and how strange twin peaks is. it is funny and sad and totally frightening all at the same time. because of twin peaks, i have tried to watch david lynch films and unlike everyone else who seems to love him, i think his films are so weird, and i just cannot enjoy them even though i know he is acclaimed as such a wonderful director, which he is, but his films are soooooooooo creepy. i had only seen one david lynch film in my life before twin peaks and i didn't even know it was a david lynch film or who david lynch was when i watched it. i have now seen 4 of them and i hated 3 of them lol. i will try and watch his other films one day. but as for twin peaks, i don't think i will ever love a television series more. i wish it had been continued or that it would be continued! it is so sad :(

kirstin
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

Hey all, I'm Will. I'm 31 and from Phoenix, AZ, but finishing up school down in Tucson at U of A. My first Lynch film was Eraserhead, on a super crappy VHS copy in about '95. Fell in love with Twin Peaks on VHS shortly after that. Last summer, I finally was able to make it to Snoqualmie and check out the Twin Peaks filming sites. It was fantastic.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Oops... I forgot to post in here.

I make music, and recently studied music. This year I did a dissertation on Lynch's use of music in film, in relation to Eraserhead, Mulholland Drive and INLAND EMPIRE specifically, and even hijacked a Lynch Q+A last year in London to ask him about music. (This may appear on Dugpa at some point in the future.) I may do an MA at some point in which I would like to continue this work; if I got paid to do it I'd like to write a book on the subject.

As a child I wanted to be either a shopkeeper or a game show host, specifically the host of Wheel Of Fortune (yes, I was Dustin Hoffman in Rain Man.). I have achieved one of these things so far - I'll let you guess which one.
MDH1980

Post by MDH1980 »

Hello everyone, I'm Michael 28 years old from Houston, TX. I became a Twin Peaks fan when I was in high school. Our cable company added Bravo in the summer of '95 and I got to see the reruns. I discovered Dugpa last year and I think it's the best site I've seen on the net for current TP news and was very grateful to have found it (and though it, TP Archive which is also tremendous).
petrozawodsky

Post by petrozawodsky »

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm....
Hi!

About myselfs introduction:
Im from Russia;
My english is not good, so please dont ask me about it;
My first seeing film of David Lynch was Lost Highway. That was being braincracker to me. But I like it!
Then I see many other works from him. Eraserhead is my favorite film!

Any question?
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

hello. i'm emilio from santa barbara. the first david lynch movie i saw was elephant man when it first played on cable. but i didn't really know who david lynch was until lost highway came out. and i must confess, the film that really made me a fan of david lynch was mulholland dr. but now i can't get enough lynch. i don't know what else to say. i don't particularly like talking about myself.

p.s. if anyone's interested, a buddy and i recorded a song together that's inspired by some of david lynch's work (lost highway, twin peaks, etc.). you can listen to it if you want--i'm not seeking anything by posting the link: http://www.reverbnation.com/tunepak/899588
fictionalcharacter

Post by fictionalcharacter »

hi guys!
dark river

Post by dark river »

Hey. I am Sean. Just recently moved from New York to Texas. Little bit of a shock there. Anyway I am 25 years old and have been a fan of Lynch's since I saw Lost Highway in a theatre with some friends. Of all of them I was the only one who was completely dumbfounded by what I saw. After that I got my hands on everything Lynch related and became a huge fan. I am a huge film buff and my tastes pretty much run the gamut. Pasolini, Bunuel, Fellini, Maya Deren, Brakhage, along with Lynch are some of my favorites. I just recently stumbled across this site and was obviously quite happy that I did.
Owls

Post by Owls »

Hello everyone. I am Mandy and I am XXVIII and I am doing scientific research in the midwest. I am into art, music, photography, books, and science. I was introduced to Twin Peaks as a youngin when the pilot first aired and years later I was able to watch the whole series and it became my favoirte tv show.ever. Then I moved onto Lynch movies and have not turned back. I have seen them all and like/love them in different individual ways. I like to watch movies that are not the big blockbusters but more interesting and artistic. I first saw the Dugpa site a few years ago and now decided to join the discussion.
yvanehtnioj1214
Roadhouse Member

Post by yvanehtnioj1214 »

Hello, I'm Jake. My home is NYC but I'm at University in the UK now. I got into David Lynch about a year ago when I saw Eraserhead at BAM. Since then I've seen it two other times in theaters and I've seen each of David Lynch's other films plus every episode of Twin Peaks at least twice on DVD. I love DL's films because each one stands up to repeated viewings so well.
thewoodstove

Post by thewoodstove »

Hello all. I'm Casey, 26, photographer. I stumbled across a VHS copy of Eraserhead when I was 18 and have been mesmerized ever since. I have particularly soft spots for Mulholland Drive and all things Twin Peaks.

"There's a FISH in THE PERCOLATOR!"