the alleyway

Discussion of INLAND EMPIRE

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

the alleyway

Post by applesnoranges »

When visitor #1 says not through the market place but through the alleyway behind the market place, that is the way to the palace "” it sounds a little like she is giving Nikki instructions about where to go on Hollywood Blvd. She dies right beside the Hollywood Star Food Market (6103 Hollywood Blvd.), so that is not a solution. But it seems that there is an alleyway behind it. On the Google map we can see that there is an alley way behind the Hollywood Guarantee Building (6331 Hollywood Blvd. where the girls are hanging out) that extends further into the block, and so behind the Star Market as well. From the Google Street View on Ivar we can see down this alleyway west a bit. Does anyone recognize this alley way? Is it either the one seen in Kingsley's studio or the one where Nikki gains entrance to the club? The one where she finds her way to Mr. K. would sound more like the way to the palace to me, but I don't quite recognize the one we see there. Here is a clip of the Google map but it would be more clear to see it oneself on Google so you can move the figure around.
Attachments
backalley.jpg
backalley.jpg (143.08 KiB) Viewed 18043 times
jina
Roadhouse Member

Re: the alleyway

Post by jina »

wow, that's impressive!

but i thought V1 was referring to the time where nikki goes to buy groceries and she parks the car, e.t.c..
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Yes, the one where she parks the car may be that alleyway she is talking about. So I'm wondering if either that alleyway or if there is another one where she goes to get into the club could be the one from the map. There has been some discussion of the term "behind the marketplace". Some people thought it meant the "Star Market" she passes before falling. I'm just wondering if there is a literal meaning there. On the map there does seem to be an alleyway behind the Hollywood Star Food Market, but I don't know if that has anything to do with the movie. Just wondering.
MichaelPW
RR Diner Member

Post by MichaelPW »

There`s a smilarity between the alley on the picture and the alley on which we see "Dern" with the groceries. Maybe Mr. K has the might to solve the curse. Probably "Dern" has to understand the repeating nature of her problem. In the theater she knows the content of the movie she sees. Until she suddenly sees something new: The means by which she can stop the curse. Mr. K shows her the way to that means.
applesnoranges
RR Diner Member

Post by applesnoranges »

Here are a couple more studies comparing movie to map views. I guess all we can say is that they are "similar". I don't see a definite match. I think when she describes the alleyway in the bed scene she indicates that it is on the movie lot, in back of the stage where they are shooting, so maybe it is. Anyway, here are left and right views to compare. The Google map street views show that the building on the right is the back of the Hollywood Guarantee Building at 6331 Hollywood Blvd. near where the murder happened.
Attachments
alleywayright.jpg
alleywayright.jpg (52.26 KiB) Viewed 17952 times
alleywayleft.jpg
alleywayleft.jpg (49.91 KiB) Viewed 17951 times