Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by The Gazebo »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:But, barring that, congratulations on your release from the Black Lodge after tonight!
:lol: ...But what if this is our punishment for facing season 3 with imperfect courage? :shock: We will now be forced to watch endless repeats of floor sweeping for the next 25 years, until season 4 arrives. :(

(And happy finale day to you too - may these be the finest two hours of television ever created :) )
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

If we don't see those FBI guys tonight, I will be profoundly disappointed.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
MysteryMan14
Roadhouse Member

Post by MysteryMan14 »

This's the forum for hard-core fans of TP and here we've got few people who are happy that the show is coming to the end and they dont want season 4. Only Lynch could make it :D
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

The Gazebo wrote:
(And happy finale day to you too - may these be the finest two hours of television ever created :) )
I echo this and still for some reason, have optimism that maybe it will be that :) It won't wipe away the past 16 episodes but maybe I'll be able to look at the last two episodes as a standalone movie if they are epic. If it turns out to be a marvellous finale I will definitely say so and be incredibly happy to do so. Time will tell. I hope I don't end up posting here and saying it is a load of bollocks. I also hope they don't kill Dale Cooper. :shock:

Have just watched a few season 1 episodes which felt a bit weird to watch now. Plus, obviously, everybody looks so young!

To Mystery Man 14, I can only speak for myself in that I don't feel 'happy' it's ending. I have some hope it will, in my eyes, improve in the last couple of episodes but feel ambivalent and a little sad about it all really. In my opinion the previous episodes have been a missed opportunity.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

Still two hours and I don't know what I want, I don't know what I should do... I mean it's midnight and I need to get up at 6 tomorrow so you get my problem. And yet - Twin Peaks is ending! Or is it? (Is it Twin Peaks, I mean). I kind of feel the thrill and I would most like to sit up until two, then watch it and....... Die next day, probably. Still, being bothered by such trifles is probably imperfect courage, right?

So say, it's not the potential death by sleep deprivation, which stops me but hmm - the lack of faith that it will be worth it. Plus everything that judasbooth wrote in his beautiful (and how very sad) post. No mystery to resolve, no solution to wait for, no character to long for.

All in all I must say a great THANK YOU to this Profoundly Disappointed group. The experience of watching The Return will be absolutely forever connected in my mind with all the discussions over here. I have no idea how I would view all that I have watched without all that I have read/written in our thread. I know for sure, too, that it was not you who somehow spoilt the experience for me, or turned me against Lynch and his set of greatest hours of television ever. I came here myself, being profoundly disappointed after the first night, and while it was indeed supporting to see a lot of people feeling the same, I suppose I liked a lot of the material more than many of you (and probably I am the only Dougie fan present ;)).

Well, let's see.
The Gazebo wrote:happy finale day to you too - may these be the finest two hours of television ever created
Same to you and all of us! I think there's a fair chance that it will be better than the latest Game of Thrones finale... which I liked but at least I hope there's not going to be a doppelganger dragon burning out those digital red drapes... and a very small chance that it will be better than the Game of Thrones's 6th season finale, which I found absolutely superb... and a close to zero chance that it will anyhow match the original Twin Peaks Black Lodge finale.

BUT on the other hand, whoever could have expected SUCH a finale after the dull Miss Twin Peaks pageant?

Who knows, who knows!
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

So Lucy and green glove guy killed Mr.C. And Coop saved Laura. Retconing the whole original run. I'm speechless and so done with Lynch. I'm amazed and sad.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

i'm pretty numb right now.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Bookworm wrote:So Lucy and green glove guy killed Mr.C.
Yeah, and Maggie Simpson shot Mr Burns. :roll: What can I say? The best part is what was taken from FWWM! It is 3:30 am here, time to sleep.
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

As a fan of TP for 25 years, Lynch retconning the original run is unforgivable to me.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

did he actually retcon? or is this some alternate universe? I am very confused. i think laura is still really dead and none of this is real.
BIRDSLOVERS

Post by BIRDSLOVERS »

very disappointing end for bob in my opinion...i dislike how they basically made the original series irrelevant with this
The Grey Lodge

Post by The Grey Lodge »

SpookySculder wrote:did he actually retcon? or is this some alternate universe? I am very confused. i think laura is still really dead and none of this is real.
Lynch retconned it. Laura's bodybag disappeared from the shore and Pete went fishing as planned.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Posted this in the episode threads. Reposting here.

Quick Thoughts:

17 -

Pretty good.

I thought the Bob battle was a bit cheesy and OTT.

I liked much of the rest of it.

The Laura retconning intrigues me as a writer. I think it would have been more touching and powerful had it not been for that hideous wig. People complained about the wig in FWMM, but it's nothing compared to this one. It was just awful. But I like the idea here overall - Cooper stepping into the past to save Laura the night she was going to be murdered. I think this was an idea that probably looked better on paper - and even though retconning (especially to this extreme) is always controversial - I was intrigued by all of this.

Disappointing that we got so little of Julee Cruise. They played full songs for the others but here we only got a brief snippet.

18 -

Ugh. It was just awful. Single-handedly the worst episode of any TV show I've ever seen. The worst finale ever.

And I usually hate it when people say things like that and jump in to defend the writers/creators. But this was just awful. Even leaving aside the dashed/hopes expectations (of seeing Audrey again, of seeing a battle or a reunion between Laura and Sarah) it was dull. Even if it is somehow explained through a lot of creative apologist revisionist criticism and there's some deep metaphysical or metafictional explanation to Odessa and Carrie Page, it was just dull. I know it might all be a dream - or another level of reality - or Cooper somehow trying to save Laura and prevent/retcon her murder, screwed up reality - blah blah blah. No explanation - no matter how clever - can save the fact that it was just a dull, tedious hour of TV. This wasn't "Mulholland Drive" or even "Inland Empire". Even with the latter, when you didn't know what was going on, the visuals and the style was alluring or intriguing or shocking. This was just painfully boring. I've been mixed on this season - veering between disappointed and trying to make the best of it - and always admitted it was not the "Twin Peaks" revival I had dreamed/hoped/longed for, but tried to make the best of it and always respected the creators' choices to follow their own truth and vision, but this was just not great imo.

Ok so....

On a bigger note:

No resolution to Becky. Or Shelley. Or Red. Or Sarah. Or (and this is the hardest to swallow) Audrey. Let alone Annie, et al.

Oh well.

But again, even leaving aside expectations and dashed hopes for plot/character resolution, leaving ALL that aside, even viewing this as some sort of meta anti-narrative, this was just a tedious, boring episode. (That final scene - spoiled by TMZ - had a mildly intriguing Chalfont/Tremond connection, but was otherwise completely lacking in every department.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

The Grey Lodge wrote:
SpookySculder wrote:did he actually retcon? or is this some alternate universe? I am very confused. i think laura is still really dead and none of this is real.
Lynch retconned it. Laura's bodybag disappeared from the shore and Pete went fishing as planned.
This would have been a better ending, had they left it at that. Suitably controversial and a major retcon. Almost all of Part 18 (apart from maybe 2 seconds of a Chalfont/Tremond mention) was a waste of space imo. Even an hour-long literal "curtain call" (which I expected to really happen, ala "Inland Empire") of the cast dancing around in front of red curtains and bowing to the audience would have been better! Yeah, they should have ended it with the scene of Pete fishing!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

So Cooper fucked up again. And I was right about green glove killing Mr.C. And part 18. My God. It 5am here. I'm going to bed. I don't feel like crying I'm beyond that.