David Lynch Lime Green Box Set Discussion

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Re: New David Lynch DVD Box - the Lime Green Set

Post by mixomatosis »

Hm... £90 is not necessarily a bad price for this (although still quite steep) but I think its taking the piss a little bit to not release IS#1 and the other new bits seperately. It does serve as a reminder of course that although David Lynch is a great artist, he's also a businessman, who makes a shitload of money. And if the only way the fans can get a copy of IS#1 and the new bits is to shell out the full whack for the box, which they almost certainly will, then that's a sound financial investment for Lynch. I suppose the sales might go towards funding new projects, whether they be videos, internet shorts, paintings, etc, but the cynicist (is that even a word?) in me suspects not. Hm...

I'll still buy it though - at least half of the discs I don't yet have.

EDIT: What are the odds on the mystery disc being Rabbits?
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

underthefan wrote:Isn't it funny, though, that if the mystery disc included the FWWM deleted scenes, all of a sudden none of us would complain about the street price anymore and we would all shell out the cash?? But it seems highly unlikely that that will happen. But now, THAT would be worth $180. In lieu of that, I expect IS#1 to be available on Netflix, so I will just rent it.
Oh I'd still complain!! But since the FWWM out-takes are the Lynch Holy Grail - yes I'd buy it! Yeah rental is a cool option for folks who live in the US.
whatif
Roadhouse Member

Post by whatif »

I too would have no problem paying a premium price for FWWM with deleted scenes and a decent documentary. As would the thousands of people that have recently signed the many petitions that have been going around:

http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/ ... gi?fwwmdvd
katherine_b

Post by katherine_b »

I also have most of the DVDs in this set as well so it is going to be down to the extras as well that will get me to pick this one up. Dugpa, do you have any more details on the extras? I'm really hoping for deleted scenes for Blue Velvet.

Wouldn't that be total bliss if the mystery disc had even one deleted scene to FWWM? I honestly would totally freak out! :mrgreen:

katie
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Hey David! Since you like box sets so much, why not release a cd box set of every Twin Peaks track. It can be any color of the rainbow you choose!
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

coolspringsj wrote:Is the Mystery Disc Lynch's main selling point?
Try something new, Lynch! *cough* TP *cough*
hilarious! :lol:
discjunkie
Roadhouse Member

Post by discjunkie »

The Lime Green Set has been added to Amazon.com but still no price or pre-order possibilities.

http://www.amazon.com/Lime-Green-Set-Da ... 793&sr=1-1

Might as well sign up to know when it's available for order though.
/Discjunkie
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

1.ERASERHEAD
I think and i hope it's true,that this is the version from the newly remastered print.The only problem would be its quality;Has anyone seen this and can confirm of its superior quality to the prior release?Well,i didn't buy the deluxe release on November awaiting for this new print and i hope that this is the real deal.
2.SOUNDTRACKS
What about the Eraserhead soundtrack?Why Absurda doesn't release a complete CD Set of soundtracks and David's personal releases (especially Air Is On Fire) and title it Earl Gray?Although,DL has stated that no more music from TP will be released.
3.ELEPHANT MAN UK EXTRAS:
Joseph Merrick: The Real Elephant Man (19:57)
John Hurt Interview (20:14)
David Lynch Interview (24:50)
If there are more on this set are welcome,but i don't have many expectations on this front.
A new 3-disc DVD set of Optimum is available including the new Elephant Man release (as i am aware),MH and IE (the last two without the Region 2 extras).
4.PRICE
With the 30% discount of the pre-order policy of some major retailers the price will be near 125$.If it doesn't sell well it may drop off to 50% a few weeks after its release.
5.BLUE VELVET,WILD AT HEART
Will we have the uncut verion or the censored MGM transfer of WAH?Also,I would love to see Frank in Lumberton,but as dugpa said no new extras on these.
7.ANOTHER SET?
The original name of the set implies that maybe it is part of a series and not a greatest hits collection.But with the release of IS and the Mystery Disc,i wonder what would attract the hardcore fans.
8.MYSTERY DISC
Maybe it will contain some on-set footage or insightful new interviews.Although, it may be just some things made for David's personal website.
9.IS
Will it contain the 60-minute promo conversation?
10.BOOK
A book like Beautiful Dark would justify the high price.
11.BLU-RAY
It will be a complete rip-off only if this set (or the majority of its titles) will be released in a short time period in Blu-Ray format.

FINAL THOUGHTS
a.THE MOVIES
When we will see a good release of Lost Highway?The recent transfer is decent but lacks many extras.I am always intrigued of what the complete DL version of Dune could be.Only imagine a Blu-Ray set like Ridley Scott's Blade Runner.

b.THE SET
I think the lack of extras in R1 has made some DL fans (including myself) to avoid buying all the R1s,because of the superior R2 releases at the bonus materials section.So,i count myself a little lucky not having duplicate inferior releases.I can't say that I waited for a box like this,but while waiting for better releases,I am relieved that I won't have to double-dip.Depending on the importance of the exclusive material and the price,this is the best way for newcomers to own these works on DVD ,but I don't think that the dedicated fans will be disappointed.
Last edited by Pete Martell on Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

I must admit I've never heard of The Ballad Of The Broken Hearted.
Can you give any more details about it?
Pete Martell
RR Diner Member

Post by Pete Martell »

Robin Davies wrote:I must admit I've never heard of The Ballad Of The Broken Hearted.
Can you give any more details about it?
Ballad?The Dream Of The Broken Hearted i wanted to say. :shock:
This is from davidlynch.de:
A conversation with David Lynch, Angelo Badalamenti, Julee Cruise on Industrial Symphony No.1, The Dream of the Broken Hearted, 60min.-promo video for the tape-release of IS #1
Robin Davies
Roadhouse Member

Post by Robin Davies »

Thanks for the information. Sounds like it would be a nice extra.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

katherine_b wrote:Dugpa, do you have any more details on the extras? I'm really hoping for deleted scenes for Blue Velvet.
I don't have any more details other than what has already been posted.
katherine_b wrote: Wouldn't that be total bliss if the mystery disc had even one deleted scene to FWWM? I honestly would totally freak out! :mrgreen:
That indeed would be total bliss, but I wouldn't count on it.

-B
zachary_mayo

Post by zachary_mayo »

There is one good thing about all this Lime Green Set affair and its mystery disc (which is for most of the Lynch fans that we are, the principal interest of this box ' and I don't mention Industrial Symphony here, because we all know it, we all saw it, we'll just have it on DVD with a better quality) : at least this mystery disc will allow us to measure our own « faith » in David Lynch's current work.

The thing is : I like the idea of putting this mystery DVD in my player and being surprised by what's on it.

But the thing is also : I would hate to put this DVD in my player just to find it's filled with poor things (some kind of DL.com stuff that we already know for example).

But it's not so easy, and there is also one thing that would annoy me : to wait for the day after the release, and learn in this forum what the contents of the mystery disc are, and notice that they are excellent, so to have discovered them by myself on DVD at home and be surprised by them would have been a moment to remember for a long time.

So there is some kind of « pari pascalien » in all this, if you know what i mean by that.

That being said, by our behaviour with this box we'll measure our faith in Lynch.
There was a time, not so long ago, I would have buy it without asking any question.

But I have to admit, since I've been a DL.com member for a while, and after a brief period of excitement (the day I discovered Boat !), I soon disengaged. And then there was the INLAND EMPIRE desillusion (but I loved the IE DVD, Quinoa was really something).

So I guess I'll buy this box without knowing what's on the mystery disc. I still have faith in David's work. I trust him for making a good work here, and I like the association of "mystery" and "Lynch". But there is some kind of hesitation I have now I would never have had before.
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

I don't get why it has the stuff all his fans have why wouldn't he do a casual fan box set with eraserhead, blue velvet and some of his other movies and a different color box set with all his unreleased stuff. It would lower the price and would sell more.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Is this dvd box also going to be released in Europe or only in the US ?