Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

What the hell did I just watch?! Part 17 was bad but at least some parts were so cheesy that it was amusing. I didn't like the retconning of Laura's story. However, the episode would have worked as a series finale. But what the hell was Part 18? It was worse than my worst nightmares. Almost nothing in the episode connected to anything of the story and it told us basically that everything we had seen this season didn't matter. So many new characters and storylines that were unfinished and weren't addressed anymore. Richard Horne's only purpose was to mislead us into thinking he was part of "Richard and Linda", instead the line had nothing to do with the previous story at all. And what was the purpose of the experiment/Judy? I forced myself to watch the episode until the end, hoping that at least the new weird Laura storyline would somehow be resolved but then it ends with no resolution at all. I'm still crying because it was so bad :(
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Well, on the bright side - - Lucy showed up as a female character with agency!!

Otherwise -- disappointed, as before, only not quite. Trolling the audience... you gotta hand it to Lynch/Frost, they've made THAT into an art form~
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

Framed_Angel wrote:Trolling the audience...
That sums it up pretty good. I had the feeling he must have hated Twin Peaks (and the fans as well) very much, I can't think of another explanation for Part 18.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Framed_Angel wrote:Trolling the audience...
That sums it up pretty good. I had the feeling he must have hated Twin Peaks (and the fans as well) very much, I can't think of another explanation for Part 18.
Use of the word "trolling" w/r/t the effect L/F was having on some viewers of TP:TR generated some "lively conversation" here earlier. And I kind of threw that word out just now for lack of a better term... I believe it's something more complicated than just trolling -- but maybe more to the point would be what another user here said recently, the user just didn't feel the "sincerity" from Lynch as with earlier works. If I can find the post I'll refer directly to it. It summed up quite nicely what I'd been thinking.

And I know it's early yet but please I hope you're not as devastated as it appears. I've enjoyed so much of your contributions here with puzzling together what we'd seen thus far! Srsly I've gotten to enjoy TP:TR that much more with your perspectives and thoughts~
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

In a way, I felt like Agent Desmond *was* there in spirit. The words "What a wicked thing to do / to make me feel this way" continued to echo in my mind as I watched the finale.
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

After I Finished watching episode 18 I told myself: "The disappointed group thread will be on fire for the next 25 years!!!" :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Redlodge
Roadhouse Member

Post by Redlodge »

What the hell ? I am so pissed this is so f-info stupid and ridiculous ! Why I mean Why WHY ? ? ! !
When Jupiter and Saturn meet , oh what a crop of mummy wheat.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

I don't know where to start. That sure was something else the way the series wrapped up.

I think I'll regard Twin Peaks:The Return as something connected to 90's Twin Peaks yet separate at the same time to keep perception intact. So many years passed since the original series and movie came out, I think this can be seen as a new project. I think a season 4 has to happen; this season I do think needs another guiding hand though so things don't spin further out (Mark Frost maybe more control while maintaining Lynch's feel).
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Hmm. I really liked pt 18 as its own thing and it's arguably a fascinating conclusion to Coop & Laura's stories, but as an overall ending to the 17 hours that preceded it?

Weak.

Why the hell am I supposed to care about Shelly/Red/Becky/Steven, or Ben/Beverly/Jerry, or Audrey/Charlie if those arcs have neither a resolution nor any discernible connection to the main plot?

Seems kind of sloppy. Also, what a waste of Julee Cruise and Ray Wise. :(
Candie
Roadhouse Member

Post by Candie »

After all is said and done, I'm cringing in advance at everyone begging for a season 4.

Lynch and Frost do not deserve a season 4. They got their season 3 with full reign- more episodes than they wanted to give, more budget, more time, etc etc

There was no resource made scarce, and with all that they spent 16 hours twiddling their thumbs and achieving absolutely nothing.

I'm completely dissatisfied with the return, but it needs to end here. They don't deserve a second chance.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

yaxomoxay wrote:After I Finished watching episode 18 I told myself: "The disappointed group thread will be on fire for the next 25 years!!!" :)
For most of us inhabiting spirits I don't think episode 18 really mattered that much. I enjoyed a fair bit of it (a lot easier when expectations* are low, and you're not invested in any potential plot). However, there might be the odd addition to the group in the next day or so.

* The one disappointing thing about tonight's episodes, is that they didn't really add much to the previous 16. I had some hope that my earlier issues with the show could be somewhat redeemed, but that ship has now sailed, I'm afraid. In fact, I almost view both of tonights episodes as standalones in the grand scheme of things. Add to that the ever increasing logistical nightmare (from ep 18) of working out multiple personalities, realities, timelines, etc, and a continuation of this in a hypothetical season 4 has pretty much lost all its appeal, for me. Oh well, it's just a tv show :)
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

After all is said and done, I'm cringing in advance at everyone begging for a season 4.

Lynch and Frost do not deserve a season 4. They got their season 3 with full reign- more episodes than they wanted to give, more budget, more time, etc etc

There was no resource made scarce, and with all that they spent 16 hours twiddling their thumbs and achieving absolutely nothing.

I'm completely dissatisfied with the return, but it needs to end here. They don't deserve a second chance
I hear you. I do wonder the amount of contribution Frost had in the return? Everything was so ultrasecretive. I wonder if Lynch probablly knew story was going to be controversial and didn't want Showtime be trying meddle maybe but then again he'd probably do this regardless... If a Season 4 happens, it would be a tall order to address some of the many questions raised by Season 3 for sure.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

A few laughs (BOB the angry flying ball vs Green Glove Man + the fucking ending) aside from that, a total mindfuck and a waste of everything. Cooper saving Laura from her fate and basically erasing the all story... but did he really succeed? I mean she disappeared at some point. All the Coop/Diane journey into nowhere... Twin Peaks gone MIA... and what about Audrey? Fuck it, so stupid...

Fuck you Lynch, I'm done with your bullshit. :evil:

I woke up at 4:00 am to see the end of this uber shit, but now I'm finally FREEEEEEEEE!!!

Twin Peaks is dead, long live Twin peaks SEASON 1 AND 2 !
Goodbye folks! :wink:

Last edited by Aqwell on Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aerozhul
RR Diner Member

Post by Aerozhul »

What's amazing to me is that Part 16 had so much fan service, so much to make fans like me happy - Coop wakes up and is 100% Coop again! - Audrey cliffhanger! - "Falling" and "Audrey's dance" as soundtrack! - etc., etc., etc. Part 16 delivered everything original fans wanted. Then Part 17 and especially 18 turned all of that on its ear. No familiar soundtrack music, no Audrey or Audrey cliffhanger resolution. Coop's return to TP is really brief, and then Coop doesn't really act like Coop again. Sigh.....
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

i've watched twin peaks for the last 25 years.
twin peaks is stupid.
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.