Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

I didn't really like the romance angle with Cooper and Diane. I felt they should've kept it a professional relationship.

I also felt Diane was very flat as a character, other than episode 9 and the great scene with Bad Coop.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Cooperscoffeecup wrote:Seems like Julee Cruise isn't happy at all. Her post on facebook "I'm done. and I could care Less about TP. My subconscious never lies......I have my answer now of what I will do with the rest of my life!" To quote one of her replies on facebook " I don't like The David Lynch Sabrina Southerland Attitude toward me, and I Will Never Work for The Emperor Again..thank God!" WOW
Yep! She is pissed!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow Sherilyn Fenn before filming and Julee Cruise after. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.....
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

N. Needleman wrote:
Candie wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:
I wasn't either, but in hindsight we should've seen it coming - the vicious twist in the tail is there in so much of his past-FWWM work. I thought both IE's ending - and his stated objective for The Return - precluded that here. I was wrong.

And yeah - I was depressed, scarred, shaken. But I also think it was fucking brilliant Lynch.
Really curious what you think was brilliant because all I'm seeing here is bad writing.
What would you like me to say? I thought the lighting, cutting, performances, sound design were stellar. I thought the ending, while brutal, fit both Lynch and especially Frost's conception of Cooper - from the ancillary materials like his autobiography, from the back half of Season 2 and particularly from episode 29 - as a flawed hero with a savior complex that is his undoing. He tries to roll back the truth of unalterable trauma and pain (Laura's death) just as he ran from his ghosts in the Red Room in 29, but instead is lost in limbo.
"A flawed hero with a savior complex that is his undoing." I think you nailed it. Twin Peaks has always been about duality and shadow selves, and season 3 was promised to be his journey back to the town, and part 18 had all of it.

This time, leaving the Lodge and vanquishing the doppelganger weren't enough - he had to go and try and save Laura and alter time, but he done goofed. Time traveling, or universe skimming, or whatever he did, seemed to blow up in his face.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:I didn't really like the romance angle with Cooper and Diane. I felt they should've kept it a professional relationship.

I also felt Diane was very flat as a character, other than episode 9 and the great scene with Bad Coop.
I didn't like that either. Didn't make sense with how Cooper talked to her in the original series, and like he just completely forgot about Annie? And especially after what happened with the DoppleCoop. I wanted to like Diane, but I felt nothing for her.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:I didn't really like the romance angle with Cooper and Diane. I felt they should've kept it a professional relationship.
I felt like Cooper insistently going for it with Diane - who seemed hesitant, IMO - was a sign of his cockiness and pride before the fall. I think it was supposed to feel off from the start, though I was okay with them kissing once at the station. The minute he came out at Glastonberry Grove and she asked if it was him, I thought something was off.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

twin peaks is stupid
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

N. Needleman wrote:I think if there is a Season 4, whatever happened with Audrey is crucial. I believe there was material cut there.

As for Diane: I think once they crossed over the border, she became "Linda" - she was not protected from the reality shift as Dale was. He warned her things might be different, but he didn't know how much. Once they cross Diane is Linda but Dale is still Dale, not Richard, and to Linda/Diane she is making love to a strange, corrupted stranger. So she leaves. (I also think Cooper felt cocky and ascendent after destroying? BOB - before they cross, he makes advances on Diane, who seems willing but hesitant given the past. Cooper does not notice.)

And the Dale who crossed over is a strange corruption, a meld of our Coop with his doppelganger, corrupted by his new original sin, full of imperfect courage, more appetities and confusion - after violating the past to save a girl in trouble.

In the end Lynch and Frost made Dale Cooper into another of Lynch's latter-day antiheroes, plumbing his depths like Diane/Betty in MD or Fred/Pete in LH. His fatal flaws warp his world and damn him to the abyss.

If the show goes forward, IMO it will not be down to Hero Cooper to save reality. He is too in love with being the Special Agent. Like episode 29, he has never gotten over the spectre of Caroline, the original woman he could not save.
I like a lot of what you are saying here, but why did Dale and Diane have to "cross over" in the first place? Crossing over to what? Diane tries to talk Dale out of it, it seems. It seemed as if their new reality took a while to fully manifest. It is not until morning that Diane thinks of herself as Linda and Cooper as Richard. A different motel. A different car. A more populated area. What does it all mean?
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

nonemoreblack wrote:

I didn't like that either. Didn't make sense with how Cooper talked to her in the original series, and like he just completely forgot about Annie? And especially after what happened with the DoppleCoop. I wanted to like Diane, but I felt nothing for her.
Yup, and I felt they didn't give Laura Dern much to work with, she was mostly in the background after episode 7. I warmed up more to Naomi Watts' character actually as I think they gave her more material and she did great with it.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

N. Needleman wrote:
I felt like Cooper insistently going for it with Diane - who seemed hesitant, IMO - was a sign of his cockiness and pride before the fall. I think it was supposed to feel off from the start, though I was okay with them kissing once at the station. The minute he came out at Glastonberry Grove and she asked if it was him, I thought something was off.
I did feel off with Cooper ever since he came out from the Red Room in the end.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

nonemoreblack wrote:

Was it romance though? The sex scene seemed more like they were acting out a ritual that was all part of their plan but I can't make sense of it. If tulpas really do share the real person's memories, it seemed like Diane/Coop's romance might've been more a fling (the kiss "only happened once before").
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

N. Needleman wrote:
Ross wrote:I agree with pretty much all of this. But at the same time I find it extremely depressing. I really wasn't expecting such a downer ending of Cooper failing once again.
I wasn't either, but in hindsight we should've seen it coming - the vicious twist in the tail is there in so much of his past-FWWM work. I thought both IE's ending - and his stated objective for The Return - precluded that here. I was wrong.

And yeah - I was depressed, scarred, shaken. But I also think it was fucking brilliant Lynch.
What was his stated objective for the return?
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

NewtoTwinPeaks wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:

Yup, and I felt they didn't give Laura Dern much to work with, she was mostly in the background after episode 7. I warmed up more to Naomi Watts' character actually as I think they gave her more material and she did great with it.
Agreed. Janey-E was easily one of the best new characters. She was great.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Mother of god.

I don't know what I feel right now exactly but that final shot is haunting beyond words can describe.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

sewhite2000 wrote:I like a lot of what you are saying here, but why did Dale and Diane have to "cross over" in the first place? Crossing over to what?
Another reality? The results of Coop's actions in 1989? We're all just winging it here, it's David Lynch.
Diane tries to talk Dale out of it, it seems. It seemed as if their new reality took a while to fully manifest. It is not until morning that Diane thinks of herself as Linda and Cooper as Richard.
I think she seemed off the moment they crossed. But who knows.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

sewhite2000 wrote:I like a lot of what you are saying here, but why did Dale and Diane have to "cross over" in the first place? Crossing over to what? Diane tries to talk Dale out of it, it seems. It seemed as if their new reality took a while to fully manifest. It is not until morning that Diane thinks of herself as Linda and Cooper as Richard. A different motel. A different car. A more populated area. What does it all mean?
Crossing over to the alternate world where Cooper senses/understands Laura has been sent, as a result of his actions or otherwise, I assumed.

Diane asking if he was sure meant, "Do you want to stay in this world where we understand everything (at the expense of going after Laura)?"