Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Voided
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by Voided »

The finale, for me, was completely satisfying. I foolishly thought (with some trepidation) that we were heading for a conclusive triumph for the robins. What we got was something far more ambiguous and interesting. Now the series feels like a journey through the subconscious....exactly what I want from a David Lynch film.
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

nonemoreblack wrote:Audrey's storyline will probably end up being the most frustrating for me because other original characters did get nostalgic pay-offs, or they played a role in the final fight with Bob. The new characters were also given satisfying conclusions. Audrey though was somewhere inbetween. Her storyline was new, and yet it didn't have a direct connection to what was happening with Cooper either. Being an Audrey fan is painful. It's also really sad to think she's been alone this whole time and will continue to be alone.
Well put.
Cooperscoffeecup
RR Diner Member

Post by Cooperscoffeecup »

Rami Airola wrote:Ok, so.

Episode 17
-I love Gordon Cole and Albert and Tammy, but the "Judy" explanation was very poorly done and I'm not too fond of the whole idea of Judy being what it is.
-Mr. C getting to the Twin Peaks station before Cooper was fantastic. I really loved him being there.
-I don't like the Cooper and Diane romance at all. Audrey and Annie stuff was way better in the original series.
-I wish I would've seen this episode as a kid so that I wouldn't have been afraid of Bob ever anymore. I predict that whenever I watch Season 1 or 2 or FWWM again I remember the fistfight between the Hulk-arm and Sphere-Bob, and I'm pretty sure that I don't find Bob that menacing anymore, perhaps ever. That said, the scene had some entertaining insanity in it and from certain perspective it was really cool scene.
-I'm not so sure what to think of using so many minutes of the second to last episode of Twin Peaks Season 3 for "flashbacks" from FWWM.
-The mystery of Laura's sudden scream is now ruined. While I wouldn't have ever thought she saw Cooper there I don't think this was that good of an idea at all.
-LOVED that Donna was at least mentioned and Leo was shown even if it was just a FWWM flashback.
-Young CGI Laura looked creepy and I think there was some syncing problems with the voice and her mouth. I really liked to see Laura and Cooper meet in the forest though. Quite impressed they managed to pull it off.
-Nice to see material from the original series. Nice to see Pete, Catherine and Josie. However, that also reminded me on how much I wanted THAT feeling to be in season 3. At least in one episode in one scene. But we never got that.
-The scene with Sarah screaming was terrifying as hell.
-Overall pretty good episode that gave me hope for the last episode.

Episode 18
-I have to say that had this been the first episode or the second episode (with some tweaks of course) it would've been very interesting and I think it would've lead into much better season. This would've been the perfect mystery to begin the season with.
-Opening the episode with the same scene we just saw in the last episode and then follow it up with minutes after minutes of same scenes seen in the first couple of episodes was a bad sign.
-I thought they have now used all possible ways to fill time without going anywhere, but then the several driving scenes happened. Most of the episode had me desperately wish there was more time left for it.
-While the sex scene was unnerving because I thought Cooper would have a horrible horror face, I mostly wished they wouldn't spend so much time showing this Coop&Diane "romance", because damn it, I'm already disappointed in Diane anyway and now they try to make me care about their happiness and misery.
-The Carrie Page stuff was very interesting. But there was too little of that and too much of it was pointless time wasting.
-God damn it the leaked scene WAS the cliffhanger, lol :D I even dreamed it once that it would end up as being the cliffhanger for the season but shrugged it of as too stupid of a thing. Oh well.
-This episode made me feel like the previous episodes didn't really matter.
-The Giant riddles meant way less than I ever imagined what they could mean. Those clues were pointless in that how they seemed to be supposed to be a mystery to wonder about during the season.

While the season has had its ups every now and then, I can't help but feel disappointed to it. Things that people have criticized the season of have constantly been countered with "there's still time" and "you can't say that because you haven't seen the finale yet", but now I've seen it and most of the worries turned out to be true.

That said, bring on Season 4. I will watch it.
But Season 3 will be my least favorite of Twin Peaks seasons.
I agree 100% with every word you have written here. Just add that I loved Truman, on re-watching the sheriff station scenes, it was like he knew all along that it wasn't the real Cooper.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

By the way, if it really was Cooper who originally made Laura scream in FWWM, where did Cooper go after hiding in that real FWWM timeline? He sure as hell didn't save Laura in that movie.
Or are we now supposed to think that only in season 3 version of the FWWM scene it's Cooper that makes Laura scream and in FWWM she screams because of something else?
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

sewhite2000 wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:It broke my heart in a way that I love.

It's devastating to know that there are realities out there where Laura is doomed to be reborn and remember her past from another life, because Cooper is trying to save her in EVERY reality out of the goodness of his heart and doesn't realize what's happening.
Thanks for this. It makes me feel better thinking of it in this way. Episode 17 was like how Cooper wanted this all to end, which may be part of why Freddie's whole character and the fight with Bob was ridiculous. It was all too perfect, and then in 18 the harsh reality sets in.
Yes, it certainly seemed like we were getting Mega-Happy-Ending, complete with Candie handing out sandwiches to everybody, but I had a creeping sense of dread, knowing there were still 80-90 minutes left. Those who hated everything that followed (and I may fall in that camp, still thinking about it) can just pretend the season ended here.
That's where I am too. I think once I can get past the emotional sucker punch I'll prefer the episode 18 ending since the Freddie/Bob scene was so goofy. The idea that it represented Cooper's ideal ending makes it more tolerable.

I've never had such a strong reaction to a piece of media though, so it will definitely take time. Absolutely heartbroken.
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Could someone now explain what the spoiler was that Julee Cruise supposedly posted, please?
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Rami Airola wrote:By the way, if it really was Cooper who originally made Laura scream in FWWM, where did Cooper go after hiding in that real FWWM timeline? He sure as hell didn't save Laura in that movie.
Or are we now supposed to think that only in season 3 version of the FWWM scene it's Cooper that makes Laura scream and in FWWM she screams because of something else?
One simple explanation would be that the rest of FWWM as we know it no longer happened, and that in the original version of events she screamed in response to some kind of psychic shock that she didn't understand. A reverberation of her shock at seeing Cooper in the alternative timeline, kind of like Carrie screaming upon realizing Laura Palmer's trauma from another reality at the end of the part.

I should add that I'm not convinced that the "real" ending of FWWM never happened. It may be that there are an infinite number of timelines, and that sometimes there's some porousness between them.
sewhite2000
RR Diner Member

Post by sewhite2000 »

Voided wrote:Could someone now explain what the spoiler was that Julee Cruise supposedly posted, please?
I asked this question a few hours ago. Please check out page 26 of this thread.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Ross wrote:All I can say right now is What. the Fuck...
I can't agree more.
What. The. Fucking. Fuck?
DeepBlueSeed
RR Diner Member

Post by DeepBlueSeed »

It'll take me a while to get through all the comments but my initial impressions were:

part 17 - wow! This is clearly the climax to the Mr C story. This is what I was expecting to come in part 18. Will part 18 be the fight with something even worse?

Part 18 - hey, where did the rug go?

All in all though, I loved it. I loved that characters we thought were dead might not be. I love that there was so much left unresolved that can allow for future episodes. And I love that the final question of the series seems to tie with the repeated motif "Is this the future, or is it past?" (although, arguably, it could just be 'now' in a different timeline).

So much to unpack. But in particular, has Cooper taken on the memories of Mr C - he seems to no longer be his chipper self? What was with the moody score and interrupts of sudden music during the scene in the motel room (and just generally why was that scene overwhelmed with a sense of wrongness between what should've been a warm and intimate scene)? And what was the whole Richard and Linda thing - did Cooper and Diane become them, or did Cooper awaken in an alternative world having replaced Richard somehow?

This is going to keep us going for a while.

And, yes, I can't see how they could've ended it that way without plans to carry on.
"The stories that I wanna tell you about... "
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
Ross wrote:All I can say right now is What. the Fuck...
For one second, I almost thought the other waitress was going to be Annie...

then I remember the Mordeen 'Carrie' puzzle that got him in a lot of hot water and I figured that had to be the other waitress.
Me and my friends said the exact same thing!!!!
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

Have re-watched it for the 3rd time, no doubt Cooper,Diane and Laura are in an alternate world, but can't tell you why though? Loved that the house is owned by a Tremond and previously inhabited by a Chalfont, brilliant!
Also what about the dead man in Carries/Laura's house, and when she opens the door to Cooper/Richard she ask "Did you find him"....so many new story lines opening up here, we will probably never have an answer to!
That final scene of the house would have been even better if Leland or Bobs image had appeared in the window, followed by her scream!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

After sleeping on it, the explanation that makes most sense is that the entire series is a dream by an unknown person- maybe named Richard, maybe named Cooper. The ending occurs just as the dreamer is about to wake up.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

DeepBlueSeed wrote:It'll take me a while to get through all the comments but my initial impressions were:

part 17 - wow! This is clearly the climax to the Mr C story. This is what I was expecting to come in part 18. Will part 18 be the fight with something even worse?

Part 18 - hey, where did the rug go?

All in all though, I loved it. I loved that characters we thought were dead might not be. I love that there was so much left unresolved that can allow for future episodes. And I love that the final question of the series seems to tie with the repeated motif "Is this the future, or is it past?" (although, arguably, it could just be 'now' in a different timeline).

So much to unpack. But in particular, has Cooper taken on the memories of Mr C - he seems to no longer be his chipper self? What was with the moody score and interrupts of sudden music during the scene in the motel room (and just generally why was that scene overwhelmed with a sense of wrongness between what should've been a warm and intimate scene)? And what was the whole Richard and Linda thing - did Cooper and Diane become them, or did Cooper awaken in an alternative world having replaced Richard somehow?

This is going to keep us going for a while.

And, yes, I can't see how they could've ended it that way without plans to carry on.
Hmm...I think the song in the sex scene was the one from episode 8, by the Platters. There is a disturbing focus on identity during that scene. Diane/Linda covers Dale/Richard's face with her hands, as if she's no longer sure who it is. We saw a doppelgänger of her outside the Motel entrance, too.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Rhiannon wrote:That final scene of the house would have been even better if Leland or Bobs image had appeared in the window, followed by her scream!
I half expected it, but I think that might have been a little too on the nose, and maybe too much like a horror trope, while this seemed to be more of a visceral reaction to an abstract psychic event. What I mean is that from Carrie's point of view, rather than "I saw a scary man in the window" or "I saw a scary man I recognized in the window", it's more like "I suddenly felt an inexplicable terror as we were standing in front of that house."