Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Another owl

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Another owl »

The real funny thing was hearing Lynch sour and criticizing season 2 for years, showing absolutlely no respect for others work, just to present a tedious and lazy 18 parts season that is way worst than season 2 in every aspect. He managed to screw up all the lodge mithology and plus give us a cast of poor development new characters. I don`t have a doubt that this new season would be criticized with no mercy if the director was someone from Lost or something like that.
Well, FU, David Lynch, you pretentious twat. I would go with season 2 over you bullshit season 3 any day.
IAmHappeningAgain
Roadhouse Member

Post by IAmHappeningAgain »

Imagine if someone criticizes Lost now for having left too many questions unanswered while praising this show? I feel like I know less now than I did before The Return began.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

Seasons 1 and 2 are reality and all of season 3 is a stupid dream Cooper is having while still trapped in the lodge. Yep, that's what I'm going with.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

This.

I expected a modicum of thought put into the script beyond 'It's all a dream' and something more than subplots and characters that amount to nothing. It also would have helped to have cut the extraneous fluff that has been disguised as commentary by people who find watching silent car drives fascinating.

The Return didn't have to be the original or FWWM. It didn't have to be optimistic or even respectful to all of its characters, but it should have been a well-written, structurally sound show. The whole thing felt messy and meandering, and the dialogue felt like amateur hour for most of it. I'm personally not even *mad* about it as I am just baffled with some of the choices made as well as the conclusion.

I don't know how one could watch a floating Bob orb fight a guy in some Rocky-esque brawl and not realize how stupid it is.
Another owl

Post by Another owl »

IAmHappeningAgain wrote:Imagine if someone criticizes Lost now for having left too many questions unanswered while praising this show? I feel like I know less now than I did before The Return began.
That is exactly what I was thinking. The only difference between Lost and this The Return season is David Lynch. I think that says it all about how can someone criticize one while praise the other. lol
SpookySculder wrote:Seasons 1 and 2 are reality and all of season 3 is a stupid dream Cooper is having while still trapped in the lodge. Yep, that's what I'm going with.
And that`s still very awful. :lol:
LauraScreaming

Post by LauraScreaming »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAA!

...and just like that, a sudden emptiness filled my existence. I had to join a form after last night's gut-punch! Unreal...
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Not only did we get no answers, we now have 100 more questions, mostly starting with WHY?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
LauraScreaming

Post by LauraScreaming »

Honestly, the whole thing wreaks of a "just hurry up and get it done"...
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

David Lynch may be an artist but he's in no way a good storyteller.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

On further reflection, I am not disappointed in the Finale or Lynch so much as I am disappointed in the fact that this show accurately reflected the state of humanity today- the lack of ability of all of us to connect with one another, as we used to as humans during an earlier stage of our evolution. It seems no one in this series quite connected with one another, and maybe that was the point? If you look at it, except for Janey-E, Dougie and Sonny Jim at the end, there were no real happy people in The Return, and even that reunion was kind of fake and contrived (a 'tulpa'). It is a dark vision, but perhaps a very accurate depiction of how many of us live our lives.

And Cooper never really re-connected with Gordon and the Sheriff's station people...
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

In the end it's a 1. commercial tv series for 2. entertainment purposes, that purported to be: 3. a reboot of a classic. I think it failed on all three counts. If anyone sees a deeper meaning in it, well i guess it can't hurt really, but to me it's like reading tea leaves.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

mtwentz wrote:On further reflection, I am not disappointed in the Finale or Lynch so much as I am disappointed in the fact that this show accurately reflected the state of humanity today- the lack of ability of all of us to connect with one another, as we used to as humans during an earlier stage of our evolution. It seems no one in this series quite connected with one another, and maybe that was the point? If you look at it, except for Janey-E, Dougie and Sonny Jim at the end, there were no real happy people in The Return, and even that reunion was kind of fake and contrived (a 'tulpa'). It is a dark vision, but perhaps a very accurate depiction of how many of us live our lives.

And Cooper never really re-connected with Gordon and the Sheriff's station people...
Well, James tried to connect with Renee but it did not really work. :lol: But due to his sacrifice we managed to indirectly get rid of the Bob Orb. Yes, and whatever happened to Laura Orb?
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

mtwentz wrote:On further reflection, I am not disappointed in the Finale or Lynch so much as I am disappointed in the fact that this show accurately reflected the state of humanity today- the lack of ability of all of us to connect with one another, as we used to as humans during an earlier stage of our evolution. It seems no one in this series quite connected with one another, and maybe that was the point? If you look at it, except for Janey-E, Dougie and Sonny Jim at the end, there were no real happy people in The Return, and even that reunion was kind of fake and contrived (a 'tulpa'). It is a dark vision, but perhaps a very accurate depiction of how many of us live our lives.

I can totally see your point, but if so, it's a bit difficult to accept that this fantasy town was brought back to life in order to provide social commentary on one particular issue. Other shows have managed to do that in isolated episodes (like Buffy's "Hush").
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Season 4 - Cooper does stuff but in the last few scenes it appears he's flawed. Still.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

douglasb wrote:Season 4 - Cooper does stuff but in the last few scenes it appears he's flawed. Still.
Those are some finest hours in the history of T.V. that we will not get to see.