Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: Part 18 - What is your name? (SPOILERS)

Post by claaa7 »

Nighthawk wrote: There is a lot of uncertainty as to when the reality shift actually takes place. Arguably it could be as early as when the wall clock at the TP Sheriff's station starts repeating the same second tick, stuck in a loop. The scene that follows, of Cooper opening the door to the Great Northern boiler room using room 315 key is straight out of a dream.
as i read it the reality shift takes place at one significant place in the story and that is when Cooper stops and actually notices Naidoo for the first time. pretty much immediatly when we are clued in to the fact that he recognizes her an additional shot of Cooper's face is then superimposed over all the remaining action in the sherrif's station - this vanishes once we step into the boiler room / Hotel basement.. as you say, a scene straight out of a dream.

it should be noted that this superimposed face doesn't do or say anything.. except once - "We live inside a dream" (i think it was, either that or "Who is the dreamer?")
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

it should be noted that this superimposed face doesn't do or say anything.. except once - "We live inside a dream" (i think it was, either that or "Who is the dreamer?")
yes it does. It shows us that we are seeing events from one person's point of view.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

so i guess windom earle won :roll:
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
Rex
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rex »

rocketsan22 wrote:The over the top Lynch love is a tad annoying...
+1
tresojos
Roadhouse Member

Post by tresojos »

will we ever found out what was the story of the little girl who lived down the road??
donna madonna mañana fofana osama bin laden hayward
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

referendum wrote:
yes it does. It shows us that we are seeing events from one person's point of view.
haha yes i thought my post made that very point
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

The transition to Coop, Cole and Diane walking towards the door was weird af. What happened? Why just those 3 specific people? What happened to everyone else after defeating "volleyBOB" as someone geniusly coined

Adored most of the return but I fucking hate the we live inside a dream bullshit.
Last edited by SamGGD on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tailsun
Roadhouse Member

Post by Tailsun »

tresojos wrote:will we ever found out what was the story of the little girl who lived down the road??
All we need to know is what Hawk told us - it's a very bad story, one we don't want to hear.

I can't stop thinking about it since it is the one real link between Audrey's reality, the Arm, and Twin Peaks. I think it's going to take a rewatch before I can settle on a reading.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

tresojos wrote:will we ever found out what was the story of the little girl who lived down the road??
Do you think there's anything to the fact that the arm said that line exactly how Audrey said it? Including the "Is it?!"
BHell
Roadhouse Member

Post by BHell »

Nighthawk wrote: There is a lot of uncertainty as to when the reality shift actually takes place. Arguably it could be as early as when the wall clock at the TP Sheriff's station starts repeating the same second tick, stuck in a loop. The scene that follows, of Cooper opening the door to the Great Northern boiler room using room 315 key is straight out of a dream.
I agree. Though, I vaguely recall a quote from Lynch himself - about dreams being as real as "reality", if not even more so. (can't find the source at the moment)
If this is our "working hypothesis", it doesn't really matter at what point the dream sets in. Whether Cooper dreams of driving Diane to the 430-mile-mark or "really" does so - and whether Cooper is Richard or Richard is Cooper would make no difference. Both approaches are valid (and in a meta-logical sense: true).

That being said: Everything that happens at the sherrif's station feels strange to me, even before the clock stutters and Coopers face is overlayed. The events interlock just a little bit too well - as if construed by some "dreamer". So why not even earlier? Or maybe Lynch would even go so far as to introduce dreams within dreams.

Still: What happens happens. Cooper (re)visist FWWM and tries to save Laura, either in dream or in some "reality". And later he takes a living Laura to some version of Twin Peaks. But, going back to the "working hypothesis", that does not mean she didn't die.
Just like in Mulholland Drive, Betty/Diane can commit suicide and become a successfull actress at the same time - it does not matter, which one is real, both plot lines happen and have "real" merit.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

[quote="Cipher"]
Re: Part 17: I love its absolute, over-the-top, pulpy silliness (purpose of the green glove revealed) as a prelude to 18. It's a tease of exactly what the series would look like had the mythological elements been treated in certain ways, as this season hinted during its most exposition-heavy moments they might be. There's a genuine pleasure in it that can't be denied, but then it's onto the final ninety-minutes wherein the series lays bare what it really cares about, and what these elements have always been partially masking.

Both sides of the series are working in perfect tandem there.[/quote]

Totally agree here
I'm back in style!
Hatorum

Post by Hatorum »

Damn, just damn. My mind is blown by all of this. Cooper going back in time to save FWWM Laura, that was amazing.

With time being the major theme here (is it future or is it past etc) it strikes me as funny that we once again get a season ending with an avalanche of unanswered questions. It mirrors especially season 1 in my opinion. Lynch and Frost didn't know if they could make season 2 so they created all those loose ends in order to continue the series. It feels oddly similar to me. We're stuck in a loop where we're never left with a conclusion. We just can't get a conclusion with Twin Peaks. I'm way more puzzled than at the end of season 2.

:?: :?: :?: :?:
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

BHell wrote:
I agree. Though, I vaguely recall a quote from Lynch himself - about dreams being as real as "reality", if not even more so. (can't find the source at the moment)
If this is our "working hypothesis", it doesn't really matter at what point the dream sets in. Whether Cooper dreams of driving Diane to the 430-mile-mark or "really" does so - and whether Cooper is Richard or Richard is Cooper would make no difference. Both approaches are valid (and in a meta-logical sense: true).

That being said: Everything that happens at the sherrif's station feels strange to me, even before the clock stutters and Coopers face is overlayed. The events interlock just a little bit too well - as if construed by some "dreamer". So why not even earlier? Or maybe Lynch would even go so far as to introduce dreams within dreams.

Still: What happens happens. Cooper (re)visist FWWM and tries to save Laura, either in dream or in some "reality". And later he takes a living Laura to some version of Twin Peaks. But, going back to the "working hypothesis", that does not mean she didn't die.
Just like in Mulholland Drive, Betty/Diane can commit suicide and become a successfull actress at the same time - it does not matter, which one is real, both plot lines happen and have "real" merit.
During these last two parts, I got a similar feeling to the film from the 90s, The Rapture, where it's not really certain whether the events happening toward the end are real, or if they are being fantasized.

I agree with that in the bigger picture, it doesn't really matter how we interpret the sequence of events. What's more important is how you feel them on the visceral level.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
SamGGD

Post by SamGGD »

Its been a very challenging, but fantastic watch. I was filled with sheer joy with part 16. Coops return was handled beautifully and brilliantly. Terrific all round. With coop back I naively thought the story would be more coherent in a sense, as much as I still expected twists. But WTF? So many directions to explore, but it feels like they fucking nosedived into shit. I dont need a happy ending, and I dont need total closure either, but the finale was too much man. Pretension overload? Trolling?

Do not care for redhead Diane either. Was not a big fan of her tulpa either but at least she had more depth and purpose.

I'm joining the where's annie camp too. No reference whatsoever? What... the... fuck.
Last edited by SamGGD on Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

Schrodingers Peaks. It all happened and didn't happen simultaneously. The mythology matters and doesn't matter!
I'm back in style!