Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Discussion of each of the 18 parts of Twin Peaks the Return

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Terence
Roadhouse Member

Re: Part 17 - The past dictates the future (SPOILERS)

Post by Terence »

Why was there not just one thread made for part 17 & part 18?
Seeeing as this one is not being made use of.
Basically people will talk about part 17 in the 18 thread bacause of it being the 2 part finale last night.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

Oh, another thing I noticed. The Laura and James discussion suddenly felt S3 Roadhouse vignette to me. Mentioning Bobby killing a guy and Donna felt random and like they were talking about strangers.

Laura and Coop meeting in the woods was masterfully done, technically and creatively. The entire mythology of Twin Peaks has led up to Laura Palmer and Dale Cooper meeting in real life.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

ThumbsUp wrote:Did the jail drunk peel off a wound in the same place Rodney Mitchum did?
That's a really good observation. And that is one character (among many), merely called "The Drunk" in credits, right? whose purpose will gall me not knowing what it was. He appeared several times. Some here speculated it was motor oil oozing into the puddle beneath him. The only person who reacted to him discernibly was Chad. Whereas Naido was speechless except for monkey-like chirping: the Drunk was reduced to only mimicking what voices/ words he heard. A moniker like "The Drunk" seems insufficient except as a trope or the categorical repeat-offender who ends up in the slammer all the time (think "Otis" in Andy Griffith show)...
So all that aside -- how this character would tie in with the Mitchums is beyond me, but I agree that resembled the same place on his cheek.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

ThumbsUp wrote:Oh, another thing I noticed. The Laura and James discussion suddenly felt S3 Roadhouse vignette to me. Mentioning Bobby killing a guy and Donna felt random and like they were talking about strangers.

Laura and Coop meeting in the woods was masterfully done, technically and creatively. The entire mythology of Twin Peaks has led up to Laura Palmer and Dale Cooper meeting in real life.
The problem with that scene is why did Laura see Cooper in the woods in FWWM? If my memory serves me correctly, she went on to the cabin and got murdered in that film.
alreadygoneplaces
RR Diner Member

Post by alreadygoneplaces »

So, the brief return of the Jumping Man in episode 17 also saw the return of the curious "That's the way it is, Michael" hidden audio.

I slowed it down and processed to try and bring the voice out more clearly (see link below)- it's the same sample as last time, only cut up differently and repeated at several slightly different speeds. The reversed part of it is just the same sample again, backwards.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0uWeVHYOlXp

And below, is the audio hidden in episode 15 in case it was missed:

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0k19Rmqslwo

If the reason for its inclusion has significance to the story itself, I couldn't begin to speculate what it's all about, but it appearing again definitely reinforces its association with the Jumping Man.

It could also be an in-joke of some kind, of course...
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:So, the brief return of the Jumping Man in episode 17 also saw the return of the curious "That's the way it is, Michael" hidden audio.

I slowed it down and processed to try and bring the voice out more clearly...
This is very interesting, thank you for posting this! Just shooting at the breeze now, but could he be talking to Phillip Michael Gerard, aka MIKE? Not sure what this would mean exactly.
(Alternatively, maybe it's Mike Nelson's boss laying him off... "That's the way it is Michael." :wink: )
TPDpz

Post by TPDpz »

I did not like the fight with Bob. I do not think it was necessary in any way. They could've avoided the necessity for Mr. green glove right there and just leave Mr.C lie on ground after being shot with the woodsmen being there. Somehow get rid of the woodsmen and be able to put the ring to his finger.

I kinda respected how they had Silva appear on it, but it just definately was not required. Could've erased two cheesy things from the show.

But then again we did get a verification that it was all a dream and in dreams silly things do happen. Like Mr. Green glove. :D

Everything else was all right, a bit rushed sensation, but it was just fine.

However I absolutely loved part 18, it's so deep, but will leave comments on that to the next thread.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

alreadygoneplaces wrote:So, the brief return of the Jumping Man in episode 17 also saw the return of the curious "That's the way it is, Michael" hidden audio.

I slowed it down and processed to try and bring the voice out more clearly (see link below)- it's the same sample as last time, only cut up differently and repeated at several slightly different speeds. The reversed part of it is just the same sample again, backwards.

If the reason for its inclusion has significance to the story itself, I couldn't begin to speculate what it's all about, but it appearing again definitely reinforces its association with the Jumping Man.

Thanks for the hard work and posting this. I find it deeply fascinating.

I wonder if this is taken from an old conversation with Michael J Anderson.

In any case I fully expect Lynch to have very good reasons for selecting this particular audio, and I fully expect him never, ever, to expound on it. :?
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Terence wrote:Why was there not just one thread made for part 17 & part 18?
Basically people will talk about part 17 in the 18 thread bacause of it being the 2 part finale last night.
right now it's certainly easier but if the same system is still used a year from now it will be easier to use separate threads
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Novalis wrote:

Thanks for the hard work and posting this. I find it deeply fascinating.

I wonder if this is taken from an old conversation with Michael J Anderson.

In any case I fully expect Lynch to have very good reasons for selecting this particular audio, and I fully expect him never, ever, to expound on it. :?
many thanks for this.. crazy how that is used for both scenes.

that scene in 17 gave me the CHILLS big time
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

The only thing missing from the Bob takedown scene was Nadine. She could have shown up with her golden shovel and used her super strength to bash the Bob ball with. Maybe she and Freddie could have kept hitting Bob back and forward between each other until he was destroyed.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

It is kind of fucked up that we have to sit through an entire Eddie Vedder song and Julee Cruise is only a few seconds. The FB comments make it seem like there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel like maybe some of the wrong people have Lynch's ear? I mean Eddie Vedder? Why the fuck is Eddie Vedder on Twin Peaks. And all those shitty trendy bands

Julee says "He did it to slap me in my face". Does anyone have any insight as to what the story is here?
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

It seems that Eddie Vedder is good friends with Laura Dern which is what brought him in.
ScarFace32
RR Diner Member

Post by ScarFace32 »

Esselgee wrote:It seems that Eddie Vedder is good friends with Laura Dern which is what brought him in.
Oh ok don't you think that illustrates Julee's point pretty well?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Novalis wrote: I wonder if this is taken from an old conversation with Michael J Anderson.

It's a recording of the last conversation they ever had, when DKL was explaining that all the actors besides Kyle are getting scale. :wink:
claaa7 wrote:
Terence wrote:Why was there not just one thread made for part 17 & part 18?
right now it's certainly easier but if the same system is still used a year from now it will be easier to use separate threads
True, but Parts 3 & 4 share a thread simply because they aired back-to-back, just like the finale. The mods here do a great job, but this feels like a weird inconsistency.
ScarFace32 wrote:It is kind of fucked up that we have to sit through an entire Eddie Vedder song and Julee Cruise is only a few seconds. The FB comments make it seem like there is a lot going on behind the scenes. I feel like maybe some of the wrong people have Lynch's ear? I mean Eddie Vedder? Why the fuck is Eddie Vedder on Twin Peaks. And all those shitty trendy bands

Julee says "He did it to slap me in my face". Does anyone have any insight as to what the story is here?
She had a big falling-out with DKL and Badalamenti because she felt she didn't have enough say-so on the albums -- to put it in MJA's terms, she felt like she was their meat puppet. It seems like she's never quite gotten over this, despite TP making whatever career she has. Look, none of us was there, so it's tough to speak authoritatively. But she's an adult woman capable of making her own career choices. It seems sorta weird for her to say she changed her number to hide from DKL as if he were a creepy ex-boyfriend (despite her highly emotional Gold Box DVD interview talking about making amends with DKL tearfully over the phone in the early 2000s). Ok, so DKL/Sabrina tracked her down. She clearly agreed to do the show, and got paid to show up -- of her own volition, presumably free of coercion -- and lip sync to an old track. Pretty easy day's work. She confessed in the recent interview that was published that she hasn't bothered to watch TR, so her evaluation of how her contribution was used is based on a cold viewing of JUST this Part, with no context.

Sure, I wish we'd gotten a new Lynch/Badalamenti/Cruise song. But we didn't, and she knew that going into it -- and was apparently fine with that (and super proud of her participation lip-syncing to an ancient cut) until she learned that the "performance" was trimmed? That's a little weird.