Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by dronerstone »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Nice to see Coop delivering Kyle Reece's Terminator line right there at the end!
Jumanji meme comes to mind...
Bookworm
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bookworm »

musicaddict wrote:
There was no warmth, no emotion to this flat and lifeless show.

What was the point? This was Twin Peaks in name only.

You're spot on. This season felt clinical, academical, like a senior lecturer holding big course on his whole work.

Yes, original run was dark too, with Laura death eerily looming over the town, or Leland slow descend in madness, or Sarah? Maddy? Yet there was warmth, emotion (and how) it didn't felt flat. It was gripping and despite everything, like Cooper, you fall in love with the town. None of this with the Return, just coldness and plain disinterest. The character were too many and too quickly set aside for me to get if only the slightest of interest. When I heard Lynch would bring Twin Peaks back I was expecting anything, the only thing I wasn't prepared for was Lynch doing a testament on his career, explaining to me for 18 hours why he isn't a mere filmmaker. Well, in short, how Lynch is doing Lynch. What I wanted was an enthralling plot, some wonderful characters I could learn to love like in the OR, a beautiful picture. Eerily and mesmerizing music. what I got was a collection of vignettes of moments that would end up having no sense, no purpose other than showing and that were just weird for the sake of weird. Also bands in the Road House, and Vegas.
Dreamy Audrey
RR Diner Member

Post by Dreamy Audrey »

boske wrote:I just saw that a doppelganger to this thread has appeared, seriously: "Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)". All the best to the fine folks over there. :)
If they are satisfied with the series, why do they even need a support group? Are they unhappy that they are satisfied and would they rather dislike than like it? They don't seem to realize what the point of a support group is. Looks like they were unable to make up an original title for their group so they just created a doubleganger of our thread.
SpookySculder
Roadhouse Member

Post by SpookySculder »

Because they feel the need to defend Lynch at every turn. I think Lynch himself would be more open to our criticism than they are.
mlsstwrt wrote:
boske wrote:I just saw that a doppelganger to this thread has appeared, seriously: "Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)". All the best to the fine folks over there. :)
Let's all pile in there and tell them why they're wrong, lol.

I actually already did that but made it clear I was joking. See, I don't think many of us would go into that thread and tell people how much TPTR sucks would we? I can't understand why certain posters would do the same here. Curious about the psychology of it.

Nice to see Coop delivering Kyle Reece's Terminator line right there at the end!
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
If they are satisfied with the series, why do they even need a support group? Are they unhappy that they are satisfied and would they rather dislike than like it? They don't seem to realize what the point of a support group is. Looks like they were unable to make up an original title for their group so they just created a doubleganger of our thread.
You stated that perfectly!
musicaddict
RR Diner Member

Post by musicaddict »

I find it interesting as well how Twin Peaks has essentially become a Lynch-only production in the eyes of so many when it was never that to begin with.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

musicaddict wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
You stated that perfectly!
Imitation is, after all, a certain form of flattery. :wink:
depechehenke

Post by depechehenke »

Rhodes wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:- those that didn't have anything to do with The Master, at any rate).
Are you using "the master" in an ironical way? Because he truly is the master, as he''s shown us again (in his 70s!).

We should all be grateful to live in a time where we can co-exist with one of the great creators in the history of art.
:shock:
I am grateful being alive without uncritically idolizing someone to such a an extent thank you very much!
Co-exist...for goodness sake. Or maybe I missed some kind of irony there.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Lol.
Well, in all fairness this thread and its title deserve an award, so no wonder that it spawned a few different planes of reality. Pretty soon I will join that group, but not before writing my last post here, later on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

yaxomoxay wrote:
Dreamy Audrey wrote:
Lol.
Well, in all fairness this thread and its title deserve an award, so no wonder that it spawned a few different planes of reality. Pretty soon I will join that group, but not before writing my last post here, later on today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stick around for a bit at least! You've been an important part of the thread. If it is really going to be your last post then thank you for your contributions Yaxomoxay!
waferwhitemilk
Roadhouse Member

Post by waferwhitemilk »

This short music clip that came out this year brought back more of the original TP vibe to me than all 18 hours of The Return:

poodlerottweiler

Post by poodlerottweiler »

Thank goodness I found this place. Trying to criticize, vent or expressing disappointment anywhere else is always met with the most pretentious bull from hardcore Lynch fans who are trying to sound more enlightened than they are. I feel like this whole season, as much as I enjoyed a lot of it, was ultimately pointless at best and mean-spirited at worst. The actors keep insisting how much Lynch adores TP but it seemed like this whole venture was a "fuck you" to the original show, actors and fans. I'm not trying to insult Lynch or his fans but really, it's hard for me to see this as anything but Lynch masturbating to himself for 18 hours while flipping the bird to everyone. The fact that it's being lauded as high art by critics just baffles me. I'm saying all this as someone who thinks Lost Highway is a masterpiece and didn't watch TP/FWWM until a few years ago.
mlsstwrt
RR Diner Member

Post by mlsstwrt »

poodlerottweiler wrote:Thank goodness I found this place. Trying to criticize, vent or expressing disappointment anywhere else is always met with the most pretentious bull from hardcore Lynch fans who are trying to sound more enlightened than they are. I feel like this whole season, as much as I enjoyed a lot of it, was ultimately pointless at best and mean-spirited at worst. The actors keep insisting how much Lynch adores TP but it seemed like this whole venture was a "fuck you" to the original show, actors and fans. I'm not trying to insult Lynch or his fans but really, it's hard for me to see this as anything but Lynch masturbating to himself for 18 hours while flipping the bird to everyone. The fact that it's being lauded as high art by critics just baffles me. I'm saying all this as someone who thinks Lost Highway is a masterpiece and didn't watch TP/FWWM until a few years ago.
Welcome! You'll fine plenty of people who feel similar here. I certainly do.

We've been criticised for launching personal 'attacks' on Lynch in this thread, but f*** it, why should that stop us? I don't believe Lynch is the artist that he once was. That's forgivable but there's a nasty edge there and a great deal of self aggrandizement. Couldn't agree more that Gordon Cole had way too much screen time. And the point of the Bellucci dream sequence? I could come up with a very cynical explanation for it but will refrain from doing so.

I was very interested in the posts saying that Lynch had purposefully elevated Cole to being the central protagonist while rendering the protagonist we are all far more interest in, a mute with extremely limited cognition.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

Rhodes wrote:
boske wrote:Did anybody else notice how the waitress at the Judy diner resembled Annie?

Regarding Annie, I just want to say one thing: you L&F took all the stuff from FWWM, including the ring, the pole, Fat Trout's, Carl Rodd, 10 minutes of Laura and James' scenes, and who knows what else, and you had no time to address the very person that got Cooper into the lodge (he did not go there for Laura), the person he sacrificed everything for, someone who was the critical as part of that memorable cliffhanger, and you just gave her a one brief mention?! Despicable.
I always said that the worst parts of season 2 were NOT Little Nicky or Evelyn March, but:
1. Annie (rushed, unbelievable, not funny, making Audrey less relevant).
2. Windom Earle (the stupid chess plot, the fake moustache, the very WORST follow-up for the Laura-mystery).

Lynch agrees with me that season 2 "sucked". And I'm now sure that he agrees with me on Annie and Earle. And he made a statement by not even dignifying them with some screentime.

Personally, I would have favored at least a mention of Windom (or even a 5 second scene in the lodge, please no more). And I think that the "'How's Annie" cliffhanger should have been handled a little bit more extensively. I understand that Heather Graham was willing to participate. Despite disliking her character, I think she should have had a couple of minutes.
poodlerottweiler

Post by poodlerottweiler »

Welcome! You'll fine plenty of people who feel similar here. I certainly do.

We've been criticised for launching personal 'attacks' on Lynch in this thread, but f*** it, why should that stop us? I don't believe Lynch is the artist that he once was. That's forgivable but there's a nasty edge there and a great deal of self aggrandizement. Couldn't agree more that Gordon Cole had way too much screen time. And the point of the Bellucci dream sequence? I could come up with a very cynical explanation for it but will refrain from doing so.

I was very interested in the posts saying that Lynch had purposefully elevated Cole to being the central protagonist while rendering the protagonist we are all far more interest in, a mute with extremely limited cognition.
Thank you :D I was just backreading and came across the post you mentioned and it is indeed spot on, along with the criticism of how Lynch views and treats female characters (and actresses for that matter). The "not where it matters" line was the moment I lost the last bit of respect I had for this project. It was said not by Gordon Cole but by Lynch himself and it was both cringe worthy and venomous.

As for "attacking" Lynch people need to realize no art is above criticism and art speaks more about the artist than anything else. It said a lot about who Lynch is as a person and, honestly, I'm not enamored by what I saw.