The White Horse Represents Denial

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LL-FF-SS

Post by LL-FF-SS »

Before Fire Walk With Me, it would be anybody's guess whether or not Sarah was in denial or not about the abuse that had taken place. But that movie makes a pretty strong case for the fact that some part of her always knew, but she was unable to accept it, the white horse is a metaphor for this. While time is relative in the lodges, it is a fair assumption to say that in terms of the timeline the very first scene we can place in it is Cooper sitting in the chair, with MIKE next to him asking that question "Is it future or is it past?" this is where the story begins in The Return, at least for Dale Cooper. This is 25 years later - Starting position.

In Part 2 Laura shows up after MIKE asks him that very question, she then gets up and whispers something in Coopers ear, he looks distraught and she is pulled out of the lodge. Now the curtains blow away to reveal a white horse, Cooper stares at it and we fly into the abyss and we're back at starting position. MIKE asking the question "Is it future, or is it past?"

Jump forward 16 episodes and we're back to this very moment. Laura has just gotten pulled away from Dale in the woods after his attempt to alter the past. He finds himself in the lodge with MIKE again. "Is it future or is it past?" they both get up to meet The Arm and Cooper is asked "Is it the story about the little girl on the lane? is it?" suddenly he remembers what Laura whispered to him, and he finds himself back in that chair, this time however the curtains do not blow away to reveal a horse. He gets up and leaves the lodge, fully conscious of what he's been told.

In the end, Dale wasn't successful, there was nothing he could do to undo what happened to her and he finds himself back in that chair, Laura whispering into his ear what he isn't ready to accept. Part 2 was Dale entering the story in denial, and he came out as Dougie. Part 18 is him entering the story without it, yet he still manages to repeat the same mistake. Stuck in a loop.

side note: Carrie Paige has repressed her whole existence and this is driven home again by the white horse in her house, and the horse-shoe necklace.
elevenevele

Re: The White Horse Represents Denial

Post by elevenevele »

The horse is the white of the eyes... the part of the eye with which you don't see.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Very intriguing thoughts. I like it!~
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

No, no, that's House not Horse.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

I think Laura is whispering "we live inside a dream" and the white horse means everyone is going to 'die' because no one exists. Perhaps the white horse signals the death of the Twin Peaks show itself.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

White horse as denial tracks for me. I also love the little "part of the eyes with which you don't see" connection above.
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Then again Frank Booth says in Blue Velvet to Jeffrey: "Don't you look at me, fuck. I'll shoot if I see the white of the eyes." If you look someone straight in the eye, that's when you see the white of the eyes.
Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

gavriloP wrote:Then again Frank Booth says in Blue Velvet to Jeffrey: "Don't you look at me, fuck. I'll shoot if I see the white of the eyes." If you look someone straight in the eye, that's when you see the white of the eyes.
Well, characters also witness the white horse when they're confronted with the elements they've been avoiding, so there's that.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

''I looked, and behold, an ashen horse; and he who sat on it had the name Death; and Hades was following with him. Authority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.'' Revelation 6:8
''let's not overthink this opportunity''