Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Would you like to see a 4th season happen?

Yes
65%
No
17%
Unsure
18%

Total votes: 264
baxter
Great Northern Member

Re: Poll: Would you like to see a 4th season happen? (SPOILERS PERMITTED)

Post by baxter »

Remember when Showtime said that "nothing about how this is released is going to be conventional", or something like that.

I don't really see what that meant. They basically showed it every week except for skipping a few weeks, and they released some episodes together. Hardly ground-breaking.

What I'd do if I was Showtime would be tell everyone that it was 18 parts, screen it with a big open-ended finale that enrages fans and leaves them wanting more, then on the week after the finale airs, I'd announce a final 1 hour surprise episode!

Impossible sadly, but imagine how cool that would have been.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Yes.

I think it would be interesting to have another season that includes Alan Ayckbourn style flashback scenes. In other words, we could spend lots of time in Twin Peaks going back and filling in some of the loose ends and fleshing out the characters. In other words, we have a scene where Red leaves that meeting and follow him to where he went next? Maybe he hooks up with Shelly somewhere? Then we cut to Lucy and Andy at home when their furniture arrives etc.

Of course we could always cut to Richard and Linda or anything else. It would just be nice to have a full season that is mainly focused on the town of Twin Peaks. It's Lynch/Frost. They can do anything.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

What I'd do if I was Showtime would be tell everyone that it was 18 parts, screen it with a big open-ended finale that enrages fans and leaves them wanting more, then on the week after the finale airs, I'd announce a final 1 hour surprise episode!
well, we have already been told that the DVD release of this will contain several DVD's worth of behind the scenes and making of footage.
It remains to be seen what else is on there...
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Yes.

There's something beautiful about the ending this time around, whereas the ending of Season 2 just hurt. It can serve as a closing of this story, and it can also be a bridge. It really depends on what Mark Frost & David Lynch feel is the right thing to do. If they decide to do more, it would be really fun to explore the reality that Richard and Carrie are in, and explore who they are.

But even if that doesn't end up being part of Season 4, it wouldn't matter, because Frost & Lynch have already demonstrated that they've got what it takes to not only surprise us at every turn, but to spin the familiar and established in a way that makes it fresh and new. That incredibly surreal, otherworldy sensation imparted in Part 18 certainly feels like the beginning of something new, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a continuation has either been seriously discussed, or is already in pre-production.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Yes.

There's something beautiful about the ending this time around, whereas the ending of Season 2 just hurt. It can serve as a closing of this story, and it can also be a bridge. It really depends on what Mark Frost & David Lynch feel is the right thing to do. If they decide to do more, it would be really fun to explore the reality that Richard and Carrie are in, and explore who they are.

But even if that doesn't end up being part of Season 4, it wouldn't matter, because Frost & Lynch have already demonstrated that they've got what it takes to not only surprise us at every turn, but to spin the familiar and established in a way that makes it fresh and new. That incredibly surreal, otherworldy sensation imparted in Part 18 certainly feels like the beginning of something new, so I wouldn't be surprised to hear that a continuation has either been seriously discussed, or is already in pre-production.
I do wonder whether, in keeping with the soap opera (eg Dark Shadows) aspect of the old show, we'll get all the familiar actors back playing different roles next time, so the next show will be about Richard and Carrie.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

we'll get all the familiar actors back playing different roles next time, so the next show will be about Richard and Carrie.
it is great to read how everyone different sees this, and sees the possibilities for a continuation. I don't really have any clear ideas about this, apart from the end point of this, of widening the whole conceptual frame out and throwing a total spanner in the works, ( aka the ' wizard of oz ' ending you could see coming from after ep #8 , though how that would work was anyone's guess) is the start point for a possible next.

There a couple of kind of *warning signs* about where it could go, one of which is that Lynch said that Lost Highway existed ' in the same world' as Twin Peaks ( despite having neither characters nor location in common).

The other is that Twin Peaks, as a title, is a place, and it has 51,201 people ( a figure unchanged for 25 years, ha ) and ( at a very rough guess) we haven't met 50,750 of them. And they all have possible futures, intersecting lives, forking paths.

I mean, Lynch could make a 2 hour movie set in an old people's home, or a james stewart style local politics/ courtroom drama, or a Richard Linklater style thing, following 8 characters from childhood through job and marriage to death, or a 6 parter each of which centres round a different local business, or an audrey mini drama, or a documentary series about the people who actually live there in real life ( including those who moved their because they loved the original series), or, more likely, 6 or 7 totally different ideas like that which all overlap or co-exist in the same time-frame. As long as it is vaguely centred around twin peaks, him and frost can do what they want. Twin Peaks is a story generating machine. The only thing after that is, having an idea ( ideas) they want to pursue, and getting a green light for it.
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

No. Considering the way this ends, I think continuing the story would destroy the beauty of that, and narratively I can't see how it can continue in a way that would be satisfying. If Lynch and Frost had an idea that they really wanted to use then of course I'd be on board, but they've made it pretty clear that this is not the case and I think they intentionally went down a road at the end of this series that they knew they wouldn't be able to bring the show back from. This story has now transcended the world of Twin Peaks and blown it up in its wake. At this point I feel another season would be like making a sequel to Mulholland Drive.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

The best would be if Lynch could make another TV-show for Showtime.
Nikki Grace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Nikki Grace »

No because it felt like a definite end. But if Lynch and Frost feel it isn't, by all means.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

I would very much like to see a Season 4 of Twin Peaks. I really enjoyed season 3. Thanks to Lynch, Frost, the people at Showtime, and everyone who worked on the series for making this possible. I watched some of the original programme when it was first broadcast on BBC2, and over the years, I have often wondered how the cliffhanger ending of Cooper and Bob would develop if the story continued. Well, now I have been lucky enough to watch the story develop and see the situation get resolved. It happened in a way that I never would have guessed!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Couldn't care less.

On second thought, maybe I'd be interested if Lynch decides to do season 4 with all the characters recast as pieces of cutlery and general kitchen utensils - that way, we could get Beauty and the Beast's comic relief via David Lynch. Awesome! Plus a framed EW cover with Lynch surrounded by a stove, a knife, a toaster, a soup ladle and an ice cream scoop would look swell on my wall! Oh, and another condition for my interest and support: we should be treated to an appearance of another superhero, preferably a relative of The Green Glove Dude - how does his sister AKA The Yellow Stocking Dudette sound?
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

I hope there is a fourth season, because this was not really ending. To be fair, I am a bit pissed that the fans backed Lynch when Showtime said do it in ten episodes and Lynch said no. When Showtime said yes, Lynch should have at least given some thought for the fans instead of indulging a bit too much into his own shit. I liked parts of this season, but it was very frustrating at times. I think Season 4 should be allowed to go back to being a straight crime with the Twin Peaks characters instead going all in with the mythology.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

lotjx2 wrote:To be fair, I am a bit pissed that the fans backed Lynch when Showtime said do it in ten episodes and Lynch said no. When Showtime said yes, Lynch should have at least given some thought for the fans instead of indulging a bit too much into his own shit.
Oh, I'm so with you there. Still, it's not all gloom: at least now I know from first-hand experience how the saying "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it" looks when put into flesh...
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

I think Season 4 should be allowed to go back to being a straight crime with the Twin Peaks characters instead going all in with the mythology.
i don't understand this point of view. If you want ''straight crime with characters going all in for the mythology'', why not watch one of the many other cliched and tedious programmes on television that do exactly that? Why would you want to balls up one of the few programmes that DOESN'T do that, by making it like all the rest?
lotjx2
Roadhouse Member

Post by lotjx2 »

referendum wrote:
I think Season 4 should be allowed to go back to being a straight crime with the Twin Peaks characters instead going all in with the mythology.
i don't understand this point of view. If you want ''straight crime with characters going all in for the mythology'', why not watch one of the many other cliched and tedious programmes on television that do exactly that? Why would you want to balls up one of the few programmes that DOESN'T do that, by making it like all the rest?
To be fair, Twin Peaks was interesting not really for the mythology. It was part the mystery of Who Killed Laura Palmer and the quirky/cool people of Twin Peaks. The mythology while really interesting has really hampered the fun of Twin Peaks. The show was also really scary with Leo and Ben Horne.