Recut of TPTR

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Terence
Roadhouse Member

Re: Recut of TPTR

Post by Terence »

Basically this return of Twin Peaks is like the Fire Walk with Me film but done in reverse of the completely useless scenes that were added to season 3.

With Fire Walk with Me David Lynch did the good thing by deleting & taking out all the scenes of characters from the Twin Peaks show that would have not a thing to do with Laura Plamers story in the week before she died.

In this here new season of Twin Peaks David Lynch added like 8 to 9 hours of stuff nothing AT ALL to do with Dale Coopers story & the take down of hes doppelganger..

To even think going through watching these 18 hours again well actually its just over 16 hours is the real time length of it all just to get to the the main story at hand.

Which also from seeing the end story result of the whole thing.which Lynch or Frost really just wanted to show Cooper trying to save Laura with the way the whole of part 17 was rushed beyond believe in my opinion.

Like why not make a great 10 minute scene at the end of part 17 in the RR with Cooper talking to Gordon & Albert hes old mates before he went off on hes quest & have the rest of the characters also be in there & there storys could have been ended better than just not seeing no more of them..
Taperecorder
Roadhouse Member

Post by Taperecorder »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: ...But the police station showdown in ep 17 really put me off. It was too campy and ridiculous. BOB and the doppelganger deserved better resolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I agree. That would be a major hurdle...
-
As above, so below.
-
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

As someone who hated the confrontation between Freddie and BOB, I was trying to think of what I would do if I were to try and make a fanedit.

One idea was when the BOBorb descends upon Freddie the first time, cut to Cooper putting the ring on Mr C, as if he's using Freddie as a distraction. Mr C's body fades away, and so does the BOB orb. When we see flaming Mr C flaming in the red room, we also see footage of BOB screaming in anguish. The rest of the last two episodes play out as normal.

My other, more convoluted idea, involves somehow getting Sarah Palmer into the scene. Reorder the fight to Freddie punching BOBorb into the ground happens much sooner. Out of the column of flame, Sarah Palmer apparates, reusing footage from the bar scene. The fire dies out, and the BOBorb rises out of the hole as normal. It descends upon Freddie, this time with an excess of blood, suggesting that he dies. Then Sarah Palmer removes her face. The BOBorb goes inside. BOB's laughter is heard mixed with Sarah's laughter (have we heard her laugh outside of the Missing Pieces dinner scene?). Meanwhile, Cooper is putting the ring on Mr C. In anger, a wave of negative energy pours out of the hole in her face, and the color is drained from the room. Everyone but Cooper disappears as she bellows, and the sheriff's station transforms into a forest. We pick up from there with the scene from FWWM, skipping the scenes leading up to that, but maybe some of them could be used elsewhere in the fanedit.
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Shloogorgh wrote:As someone who hated the confrontation between Freddie and BOB, I was trying to think of what I would do if I were to try and make a fanedit.

One idea was when the BOBorb descends upon Freddie the first time, cut to Cooper putting the ring on Mr C, as if he's using Freddie as a distraction. Mr C's body fades away, and so does the BOB orb. When we see flaming Mr C flaming in the red room, we also see footage of BOB screaming in anguish. The rest of the last two episodes play out as normal.

My other, more convoluted idea, involves somehow getting Sarah Palmer into the scene. Reorder the fight to Freddie punching BOBorb into the ground happens much sooner. Out of the column of flame, Sarah Palmer apparates, reusing footage from the bar scene. The fire dies out, and the BOBorb rises out of the hole as normal. It descends upon Freddie, this time with an excess of blood, suggesting that he dies. Then Sarah Palmer removes her face. The BOBorb goes inside. BOB's laughter is heard mixed with Sarah's laughter (have we heard her laugh outside of the Missing Pieces dinner scene?). Meanwhile, Cooper is putting the ring on Mr C. In anger, a wave of negative energy pours out of the hole in her face, and the color is drained from the room. Everyone but Cooper disappears as she bellows, and the sheriff's station transforms into a forest. We pick up from there with the scene from FWWM, skipping the scenes leading up to that, but maybe some of them could be used elsewhere in the fanedit.
Skip Freddie. Let James get the vision, but not the hand. Have the Fireman instill knowledge to him that he shares with Bobby while jailed (yes, he still goes to jail). They then hold a meeting that involves Hawk, James, Bobby, Truman, and Andy. Can't quite thing of what they would do, but it would not involve a gloved hand. This would give some optimism to the Twin Peaks characters that is sorely lacking.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

wxray wrote: Skip Freddie. Let James get the vision, but not the hand. Have the Fireman instill knowledge to him that he shares with Bobby while jailed (yes, he still goes to jail). They then hold a meeting that involves Hawk, James, Bobby, Truman, and Andy. Can't quite thing of what they would do, but it would not involve a gloved hand. This would give some optimism to the Twin Peaks characters that is sorely lacking.
I'm talking fanedit ideas, something you can actually create with the existing footage. I was trying to brainstorm feasible ideas. If I was purely fantasizing, then yeah, I'd remove Freddie entirely. But as far as fanedits go, I'm fine with him existing as the means of defeating Chad, but then failing to defeat BOB
wxray
RR Diner Member

Post by wxray »

Shloogorgh wrote:
wxray wrote: Skip Freddie. Let James get the vision, but not the hand. Have the Fireman instill knowledge to him that he shares with Bobby while jailed (yes, he still goes to jail). They then hold a meeting that involves Hawk, James, Bobby, Truman, and Andy. Can't quite thing of what they would do, but it would not involve a gloved hand. This would give some optimism to the Twin Peaks characters that is sorely lacking.
I'm talking fanedit ideas, something you can actually create with the existing footage. I was trying to brainstorm feasible ideas. If I was purely fantasizing, then yeah, I'd remove Freddie entirely. But as far as fanedits go, I'm fine with him existing as the means of defeating Chad, but then failing to defeat BOB
Got it. Sorry, my apologies for cluttering the thread.
TweetPeak
Roadhouse Member

Post by TweetPeak »

i am sure there will be someone who can salvage the Freddie/BOB Scene.
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

TweetPeak wrote:i am sure there will be someone who can salvage the Freddie/BOB Scene.
Freddie punches BOB, cuts to BOB being shot by MIKE in the European pilot...
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

i did my cut of it, 13 episodes, more music and filmic colors :D
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

The only kind of fan recut I wouldn't consider a monumental waste of time would be something akin to what Steven Soderbergh did in making a black and white silent version of Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was an experiment done with respect for the visual storytelling elements of the original version.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

The Brown Lodge wrote:This should have been an 8 or 9 episode series.

I would have episodes 1,2,3,4,8,16,17,18, maybe with 1 slower less-significant episode.

with the more relevant pieces from other episodes patched in.

Most of the Las Vegas storyline would be cut.
I just want to say that I totally agree with this. It only needed 9 episodes.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Fred wrote:
The Brown Lodge wrote:This should have been an 8 or 9 episode series.

I would have episodes 1,2,3,4,8,16,17,18, maybe with 1 slower less-significant episode.

with the more relevant pieces from other episodes patched in.

Most of the Las Vegas storyline would be cut.
I just want to say that I totally agree with this. It only needed 9 episodes.
I'm very much open to the idea of The Return as a 9-part series, a sort of what-if beamed in from another dimension by Lynch/Frost. It would be fascinating to see the streamlined "Fire Walk With Me" version of The Return rather than The Missing Pieces version if, once again, done by Lynch/Frost. But as it stands the thing the series would lose by cutting it in half would be the sense of the passage of time that is built in to the stretched out narrative, and that passage of time is integral to the series' major themes and mood; yes, 25 years time has passed in the real world and you can see that just by looking at the actors/characters, but the slooooowed down pacing across 18 parts amplifies that effect as you get to actually experience/feel the passage of time. I also don't think the series would have been nearly as subversive as only a 9-parter.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The length and pace were undeniably a very intentional choice and a big piece of what L/F were getting at (which of course doesn’t mean it has to work for you). DKL is someone who in the past has said he thinks enforced runtimes are a good thing (within reason) because they force a director to take a more critical eye to the material. Yet on this project, he walked away at one point, and by his own account, a major factor in his quitting was Showtime’s refusal to give him an open-ended number of hours. He also uncharacteristically seems to have used almost everything that was shot. That’s a major departure for him, and I think it speaks to the intent of this particular project.

I agree that a condensed, tighter version would be interesting, just as I wouldn’t mind seeing FWWM or BV with the deleted scenes cut back in. But DKL has always shunned the idea of recuts, and in all cases I truly believe the correct cut was released.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

I simply can't imagine waiting 25 years for more Twin Peaks and then complaining that there's too much of it once it finally arrives.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:I simply can't imagine waiting 25 years for more Twin Peaks and then complaining that there's too much of it once it finally arrives.
Because what we got too much of is not Twin Peaks - not that Twin Peaks for which we've been waiting 25 years, at any rate. Yeah, give me more of what was once deemed as "Twin Peaks" any day - even 100 hours of it would not be too much in my eyes. But calling all the Vegas nonsense and Dougie frigging Jones "Twin Peaks" ... c'mon!