Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The Jumping Man wrote:It sure is gonna look funny on the shelf next to "The Complete Mystery."
S3 is "the complete answers"!

I never loved the idea of calling it S3 even before it aired, since it always felt like it was going to be a completely independent work taking place in the TP universe. The content bore that out. I prefer to look at it as a sequel a la FWWM, but I guess I'll follow the creators' intent (now that we know) and call it S3. The upside is that this nomenclature does pretty officially give TP the gold medal for weirdest evolution of a series ever, from the somber pilot to zany sitcom mid-to-late season 2, to the arthouse-meets-mythology-driven series of S3.

My ideal extra will never happen, particularly given DKL's hatred of audio commentaries. But I would love audio (and maybe visual) of L&F watching the entire series together all the way through in one sitting, commenting in real time and getting increasingly cranky and sleep deprived. Imagine DKL whining that he has to meditate and Mark jonesing for his twitter fix. :lol:

Btw, the box art rocks.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray 12/5/17

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Oh, I can't help but find the box art hideous. It's a nice companion piece to Laura's fractured face on 'The Complete Mystery', but I don't know. It's a messy composite, and it's colours are really off. Bright red and muck green and brown.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Is there literally one thing in this cover art that is the right colour? Lol. :roll: :P

Ah well, it'll do. I've never really been bothered too much by cover art.

I actually liked the subtitle 'The Return'. I liked the Nietzschean Eternal Recurrence idea you could hear echo in that name. Shame it was just a marketing gimmick -- although if Lynch was fine with Showtime using it, it's by no means contrary to the nature of the series to call it that and see it as that.

This is going to look mighty strange next to the Complete Mystery. I mean, the faces coming apart matches (and the design lends substance to the idea that this was Cooper's story, not Laura's) but little else will. And it makes a nice joke; if the mystery was complete, what's this then? The complete answers? Heheh. I wouldn't bank on that.

I'm going to be disappointed with the extras. I know it.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Novalis wrote:I'm going to be disappointed with the extras. I know it.
You think? Charles Lauzirika (who produced the extras for the Gold Box and The Entire Mystery) was spotted on set. I'd say we're in good hands, I think he did a bang-up job on those. I'd also assume DKL will be heavily involved, and no DVD/Blu Ray release where he took a hands-on approach with the extras has ever disappointed me (aside from his hatred for audio commentaries).
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Novalis wrote:I'm going to be disappointed with the extras. I know it.
You think? Charles Lauzirika (who produced the extras for the Gold Box and The Entire Mystery) was spotted on set. I'd say we're in good hands, I think he did a bang-up job on those. I'd also assume DKL will be heavily involved, and no DVD/Blu Ray release where he took a hands-on approach with the extras has ever disappointed me (aside from his hatred for audio commentaries).
that's fine, i hate audio commentaries. I'm sold already.
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

More seriously, as long as there are subtitles for the main features I'll be very happy. Anything besides that would be a bonus.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtl
RR Diner Member

Post by mtl »

dvd 7 mega extra :

A Christmas with the Jonses

Dougie hasnt gotten his bonus, Janey-E struggles with the cookies, Sonny Jim burns the tree.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Blu-ray

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

BGate wrote:BTW, there's an excellent chance "The Third Season" was chosen by CBS Home Entertainment for marketing purposes and is also not an official title a la The Return. So I wouldn't do any victory laps over that either.
It's seems to me they worded it that way to keep it in theme with the past season DVD sets, which is probably a hint that they're getting separate releases on Blu soon. It appears even the title font was lifted from them. It'd be pretty cool if they came back to complete the set, but of course with all the extras from the Entire Mystery set.

Cipher
RR Diner Member

Post by Cipher »

Dang. I'd grown rather fond of The Return and all its implications as a subtitle. It also made sense because it felt like a separate piece of art set within this world (as well as being a continuation), alongside Fire Walk With Me.

But I'll drop it now, if it was introducing implications Frost and Lynch had never intended. Season three it is.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:The upside is that this nomenclature does pretty officially give TP the gold medal for weirdest evolution of a series ever, from the somber pilot to zany sitcom mid-to-late season 2, to the arthouse-meets-mythology-driven series of S3.
I think it had that distinction just from the original two seasons alone, beginning as an off-beat procedural/soap opera riff that quickly comes apart at the seams. Of course it gets even wilder (and strangely more coherent?) when you add Fire Walk With Me and season three.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Just got a look at this, and man, that's some uninspired art and lettering.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

I like the art a lot. It fits the vibe of the season. I had also grown very fond of The Return, and I started out thinking it was cheap. But my God, it gradually fit and the simple term allowed multiple and deep interpretations.
Voided
Roadhouse Member

Post by Voided »

Okay...so who thinks there will be a DVD extra option to watch the last two episodes in sync? :D
Just forget you ever saw it. It's better that way.
windh
Roadhouse Member

Post by windh »

At first, I thought the box art image was a joke. Now I hope that it's just some kind of temp thing.
/windh
Rhiannon

Post by Rhiannon »

I don't mind the cover, i really hope Lynch and Frost do audio commentary over certain scenes, to give us an insight to maybe what and how they were thinking about a particular scene/person/character.