Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Re: Mark Frost's Contributions to TP:TR (Speculation)

Post by HagbardCeline »

I have read Frost's two Conan Doyle books. I don't recall anything really that tied into Twin Peaks. The first book was more like Penny Dreadful in tone. The second book was a lot like Carnivale in tone. (just to put it into TV terms).

I have not read his Paladin Prophecy books, nor any of his sports books.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

If Frost does a book tour, someone should raise their hand and say "I have a question for Mark" and then just get up and leave. See how he likes it.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

douglasb wrote:If Frost does a book tour, someone should raise their hand and say "I have a question for Mark" and then just get up and leave. See how he likes it.
Haha that made me chuckle
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

douglasb wrote:If Frost does a book tour, someone should raise their hand and say "I have a question for Mark" and then just get up and leave. See how he likes it.
It's funny 'cause it's true.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

That's very wicked and very funny. :lol:
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
Mystery Roach
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mystery Roach »

Let's not forget that it was Frost who had the initial idea for this thing and had to sell Lynch on it, despite his long-held insistence that it was dead. I imagine Mark had to have a fairly concrete idea of where he wanted to go with it to get Lynch interested. Based on what I know of them and reading TSHOTP, it does seem that Frost was putting a lot of thought into the big ideas of this show and how to build them into a narrative, whereas Lynch tends to focus more on the psychological themes and mood. Frost had said as much in the past, so I suspect that's by and large how it broke down here as well.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

HagbardCeline wrote:
It might be funny if he would give a crap. And he wouldn't.
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

AgentEcho wrote:
HagbardCeline wrote:
It might be funny if he would give a crap. And he wouldn't.
I dunno man, the times I've met him, he's been pretty defensive and insecure about his contributions to the original Twin Peaks. (and quick to point out things that weren't his idea). Shrug.
Framed_Angel
RR Diner Member

Post by Framed_Angel »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Just to be clear, the mission statement of this thread is not to say that Frost had MORE input than DKL, or even equal input necessarily. Nor is it to distribute praise or blame to either partner. ..I guess what I'm saying is, I'm personally less interested in the gossipy speculation, and more interested in textual analysis, finding links to TSHoTP and Mark's other works/public comments.

...I'm sort of feeling motivated to finally read his other books though
I'm envious; I would love a chance to meet Mr. Frost. As much to ask him about working on Hill St. Blues as on TP. It's good to have a thread keeping to Frost's role in creating and contributing to the TP storytelling. Sorry if it got derailed in places but I'm enjoying reading those divergences too!
I don't know if you've seen this already but I've had the following quote attributed to Frost most likely back in the day while I browsed Twin Peaks Gazette; I didn't make notice of the source at the time --

"I would sit at the keyboard and David would sit in a comfy chair and we would go back and forth. You throw your minds up toward the ceiling and they meet somewhere near the light fixtures. The script becomes written by a third party. The author is someone called )Lynch-Frost. I can only describe it as a kind of Vulcan mind." —Mark Frost on Twin Peaks (original)

Have you gotten to his other books yet? Any good ones worth a look?
"Fool me once... shame on me!"
HagbardCeline
RR Diner Member

Post by HagbardCeline »

Framed_Angel wrote:Have you gotten to his other books yet? Any good ones worth a look?
I can recommend both of the Conan Doyle books. The List of Seven and The Six Messiahs. The second book is a bit weaker than the first, but I still liked them both a lot. Frankly, I wish he'd write a third one.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Can't believe I didn't think to post this before: here's a 1992 interview with Mark where he takes full ownership of the occult/black magic stuff on the original show, going so far as to say, "The whole mythological side of Twin Peaks was really down to me."

https://www.google.com/amp/www.independ ... html%3famp

His career-long interest in this stuff is rather odd, given what a meat-and-potatoes guy he seems to be otherwise. I mean, it's one thing to be interested in it as grist for the narrative mill, but he's obviously read up on this stuff a LOT over the course of decades, even though my impression is that he believes it to be nothing more than entertaining mumbo jumbo.

Not necessarily apropos of this thread, but a cool sidenote: the interview says that circa 1992 he was working on a script on the life of Crazy Horse.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Lynch confirms that Freddie was his idea: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch ... ks-finale/

Proving once and for all you don't have to have written a superhero movie in order to conceive of a quirky vaguely-spoofish superhero character backstory.
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

Proving once and for all you don't have to have written a superhero movie in order to conceive of a quirky vaguely-spoofish superhero character backstory.
or an absurdist generic quote
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
Manwith
RR Diner Member

Post by Manwith »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Lynch confirms that Freddie was his idea: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch ... ks-finale/

I feel like there's been 10 people here saying the green glove wielding Freddie was the Mark Frostiest idea in the history of Mark Frost ideas. Shows fans don't know what the heck they are talking about.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

Manwith wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Lynch confirms that Freddie was his idea: http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/15/david-lynch ... ks-finale/

I feel like there's been 10 people here saying the green glove wielding Freddie was the Mark Frostiest idea in the history of Mark Frost ideas. Shows fans don't know what the heck they are talking about.
i'm very familiar with David Lynch's and Mark Frost's work and no matter if Lynch was the one who came up with the idea i'd still say it's way more of a Mark Frost type of idea than a Lynch one, based on their earlier separate works.