List of all the unsolved mysteries (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

mtwentz
Lodge Member

Re: List of all the unsolved mysteries (SPOILERS)

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Few proposed additions as I slowly rewatch:

What was the thing in Bill Hastings's trunk?
Who was on the phone with Mr. C in Part 2? I don't think we can take for granted that it's Jeffries, especially since the "I missed you in NY" implies it could be Judy. :shock:
What exactly was DoppelCoop's plan with Phyllis? Did she know about Bill's supernatural excursions? What did she do that Mr. C says followed human nature?
What did Hawk think was going to happen at Glastonbury Grove the night he went there, and why did he think that?
I remember Lynch saying before the premiere, people want to know the answer to a mystery, then they don't care once you give them an answer. So I figured there would be one or two burning questions that would never be answered.

Instead, this show literally answered maybe about 10% (if that) of the mysteries that it set up. Not sure any other director could have gotten away with that :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

What year is it? 1970.
Laura: Concieved 1970 born 1971 died 1989 aged 18; would've been 43 25 years later in 2014.
Cassie: 1945 Laura orb created by Fireman. Becomes 43 in 1970 (assuming 18 in 1945 then 43 1970; picking this over 1988 which full 43 yrs later); somebody after her she says as Coop visits and perhaps prevents what about to happen similar to what prevented in episode 17.
Laura screams 3X: 1st in 2014, next in 1989, then 1970.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

DoppelBocker wrote:What year is it? 1970.
Laura: Concieved 1970 born 1971 died 1989 aged 18; would've been 43 25 years later in 2014.
Cassie: 1945 Laura orb created by Fireman. Becomes 43 in 1970 (assuming 18 in 1945 then 43 1970; picking this over 1988 which full 43 yrs later); somebody after her she says as Coop visits and perhaps prevents what about to happen similar to what prevented in episode 17.
Interesting theory, but would that mean that this is an alternate reality as well? Valero was created in 1980, yet Richard and Carrie make a stop at one of their service stations. It might seem trivial but surely there was a reason for having avoided any ambiguity in this regard.
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Post by Nighthawk »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:
DoppelBocker wrote:What year is it? 1970.
Interesting theory, but would that mean that this is an alternate reality as well? Valero was created in 1980, yet Richard and Carrie make a stop at one of their service stations. It might seem trivial but surely there was a reason for having avoided any ambiguity in this regard.
The car Cooper drives in the final scenes is a Lincoln model which went into production in 2003. So mid noughts seem to be the lower boundary of when the action takes place, disregarding the possiblity that alternate reality could be different in various ways.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Who the hell is Lois Duffy and why didn't we ever hear one word of her before Part 14?
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

I'm still on questions from the original
What the heck are the owls?
Who is the hooded man seen by Briggs?
What happened to Coopers rain coat when he went in the lodge, lol?
Wasn't that both the white lodge AND the black lodge which occupied the same space?
Why did bad Coop have to chase down and catch good Coop in the lodge in order for the next step to occur if he wasn't actually going to possess good Coop like Leland was possessed?
What happens to Earle's body after his soul is yanked out?
Are Caroline and Annie "one and the same"?

Then for the new one is the Giant the same person as the Fireman?
Why was Ronette in that realm?

God I have literally about 400 questions, I could spend a day. I get the concept of "its better when everything isnt answered" I actually agree with that, but this show was ridiculous in that regard. Like Audrey screamed at her husband "You mean you're not going to tell me"??!!
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

nick1218 wrote:I'm still on questions from the original
What the heck are the owls?
Who is the hooded man seen by Briggs?
What happened to Coopers rain coat when he went in the lodge, lol?
Wasn't that both the white lodge AND the black lodge which occupied the same space?
Why did bad Coop have to chase down and catch good Coop in the lodge in order for the next step to occur if he wasn't actually going to possess good Coop like Leland was possessed?
What happens to Earle's body after his soul is yanked out?
Are Caroline and Annie "one and the same"?

Then for the new one is the Giant the same person as the Fireman?
Why was Ronette in that realm?

God I have literally about 400 questions, I could spend a day. I get the concept of "its better when everything isnt answered" I actually agree with that, but this show was ridiculous in that regard. Like Audrey screamed at her husband "You mean you're not going to tell me"??!!
As far as the owls go, seems like that has all but been dropped from the Twin Peaks mythology.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

So many burning question.We should all start a kickstarter to fund Season 4
Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Post by Troubbble »

mtwentz wrote:
nick1218 wrote: What the heck are the owls?
As far as the owls go, seems like that has all but been dropped from the Twin Peaks mythology.
Well, they were shown to be connected with Bob in the original run, weren't they? Not expecting more of an explanation than that.

And not that it makes it any clearer, but Cooper sees an owl when he first arrives at Dougie's home after winning at the Silver Mustang... and Chantal and Hutch hear a "bird" making noise the morning before they die.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I think the original series and particularly TSHoTP make it relatively clear that the owls are a form the Lodge spirits take, or a way that humans perceive them. The owl imagery is alive and well in Mark's book, and I expect to see more of it in TFD.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

krishnanspace wrote:So many burning question.We should all start a kickstarter to fund Season 4
So Lynch and Frost can bring up more questions that will never be answered :-).
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

mtwentz wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:So many burning question.We should all start a kickstarter to fund Season 4
So Lynch and Frost can bring up more questions that will never be answered :-).
Lol :D
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

My questions I have to think about;

- How does Gordon know Jeffries "doesn't really exist anymore"? Has he been to the Convenience Store? Did Jeffries contact him? If he knows this, why does Albert's
revelation in Part 4 take him so off guard? You'd think he'd know everything that was happening.

- Who was on the other end of the phone when Mr. C was at the Convenience Store?

- What is the significance of the coins? Is Red more than a man, or was it the drugs?

- What took Major Briggs away from the Listening Post before the fire, was it a vortex?

- When was the dossier recovered? Before the events of the show? It looks that way.

- Were Carl Rodd and Margaret Lanterman abducted by aliens, or sucked into a vortex? This is pretty transparent.

- Was the drunk not real? Could only Chad see him? If he was real, why did Andy not bring him upstairs?

- Was the "bird" referenced by Hutch and Chantal an owl? An omen of their deaths?

- Did Freddie really kill Bob just by punching him repeatedly? Was that wish-fulfillment? A dream? If it is a dream, did Cooper ever even make it back to Twin Peaks?
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

nick1218 wrote:Wasn't that both the white lodge AND the black lodge which occupied the same space?
It doesn't seem like it. Windom Earle's description of the White Lodge doesn't sound anything like the Black Lodge, and he says they are different places: "Gentle fawns gamboled there amidst happy, laughing spirits.... For there's another place, its opposite."

Hawk says that the Black Lodge is "the shadow self" of the White Lodge. A Black Lodge doppelganger is the shadow self of any soul that enters the Black Lodge. Since the doppelgangers don't occupy the same space, I would think the same logic would apply to the lodges themselves.
He didn't necessarily have to chase him. But after hearing Sycamore Trees, Cooper somehow realizes that he needs to hurry up and exit the Black Lodge. Knowing the rules of the Black Lodge, the doppelganger chases Cooper because he knows that only one of them is supposed to exist outside of the lodge. Since the doppelganger wants to leave, he needs to make sure Cooper doesn't exit first.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

by Mr. Strawberry
Alternate Reality?: I think this is sort of a Lost Highway sort of Purgatory Coop has crossed over into that's kind of an amalgamation of things. Other possibility perhaps can be found in terms of what school of eastern religious texts Lynch may be privy to and what their notions are about other realities. Notion life is a dream then limitless possibility as every moment has multiple outcomes we go down each day. It makes it simpler for me just to think of this as a sort of purgatory realm though as easier for me to make sense of in terms of situation both Coop and Laura seem to be in and can make some sense of from Lost Highway.

Valero Issue?: If leave out notion of alternate reality and/or amalgamated purgatory like Lost Highway then going with fact Valero openned in 1980, I suppose we could use same logic for 1970's date and replace 1970 with 1981 (rationale below) as the year that Coop and Cassie are currently in.

Problem with that is the Tremond lady not old enough then but I suppose maybe there's a possibility she's related to the Tremond lady we see in FWWM and the series; also it doesn't jive as much as Laura would've then been about 10/11 (born in July) at that date as opposed to right before she concieved in 1970 nixing out the re-incarnation angle.

1 additional peice info. could be concrete clue: Does it say in "Secret Diary of Laura Palmer" what year the Palmer's bought the house?

Dates Played Around With (1970 favored one):
Laura:
Birthdate (Actress Birthdate 1967):
1971 July Birthdate+18=1989; 1971+25=1996; 1971+43=2014 (year re-meets Dale Cooper in Lodge 25 years after died 18 yrs old)

Death (died age 17 not 18 but as about 18 used this number; subtract a year whenever say 18 if wish)
Year 1989+25=2014 (projected age 43); 1989+18=2007 (projected age 36)
Year 1989-25=1964; 1989-18=1971; 1989-43=1946

Re-Birth?:
Year 1945+25=1970; 1945+18=1963; 1945+43=1988
Year 1956+25=1981; 1956+18=1974; 1956+43=1999

Dale (McLachlan the actor is 5 years younger birthdate 1959):
April 1954 Birthdate+25=1979; 1954+18=1972

Post-Note:
25 Years=Time Laura Re-Unites with Coop in Black Lodge from 1989 to 2014 (No idea why 25 years chosen; if correlated with Dale's age then would've been 35 not 25...)
17 Years=age Laura died (before 18th birthday but as about this age used 18 instead of 17 in dates above as unsure what month the 25 yr mark falls on exactly)

The 25 year mark seems to correlate roughly with age Laura died. 1989 Coop 34 going on 35 and Laura 17 going on 18 at date of her death. Coop's age divided by half is 17 while three quarters of his age is 25.5. Laura meets him at 25 yr mark.

by Nighthawk
The car Cooper drives in the final scenes is a Lincoln model which went into production in 2003. So mid noughts seem to be the lower boundary of when the action takes place, disregarding the possiblity that alternate reality could be different in various ways.
Just thought of something: I have a theory Richard is Coop's past self before he was born in 1954. Diane of course then used to be Linda. Their love story in a past life; both have been displaced in the lodge for many years; identity has become dispersed overtime. The Coop we see in episode 17 is merely an emanation of his Cooper identity (real one not tulpa or doppleganger) but one we see in 18 is a more dispersed emanation from dreamer self crossing over taking on characteristics of past self Richard (Diane's already at this point when freed from Naido imprisonment perhaps as that how know to search for Coop's re-emergence from lodge knowing it about to happen).

As we know, Coop exits the black lodge as coop and "crossover" into alternate reality and/or purgatory realms occurs at a set point (turns dark instantly show realm polar opposite to earth as day is night; further support this is a purgatory realm to my thinking) with time displacement (seems go with identity switch) upon waking the next day.

Do you know which car Coop drove to the motel with? It's probably not totally helpful (like 2003 Lincoln) due to amalgamation effect within this purgatory universe but may be worth looking into.