Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Do you understand why Sherilyn Fenn was unhappy once she read the lines she was supposed to deliver?

Yes, I understand completely
49%
No, I do not understand. She had a great role in The Return.
51%

Total votes: 98
Nighthawk
RR Diner Member

Re: Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Post by Nighthawk »

ThumbsUp wrote:I understand, but she has much to be proud of. Audrey's arc this season was one of the most talked about and based on the finale, I'd argue one of the most significant. I personally thought it was pretty enthralling and I thought she did a great job.
Fenn did a great job and it was a fantastic starting point for her new story arc that should have happened between episodes 2-5. There was so much potential in her coping with the past and finding a way to move forward. She could have been instrumental in fighting Mr. C, which I would vastly prefer over Freddie Green Glove. There is a notion that she signed up late for the production, but the question is, why would she do that unless she had misgivings about the role she was given? I find her acting out excessive and out of line, but I also think that Lynch went in the wrong direction with many of his choices, including Audrey's storyline.
EddyEdson

Re: Poll: Do You Understand Now Why S.F. was pissed about her role in The Return?

Post by EddyEdson »

I think it was a great role.

My take: https://redd.it/7122ct

I like thinking of the interaction between Audrey & Charlie as two parts of the same person hobbled together while trying to pull in different directions. But Audrey won, because there was more "Audrey" in her than there was in Charlie.

So I thought it was very deftly written/directed/acted, one of the real gems of TR.

But I wish I could get some kind of handle on Billy ...
Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Post by Dom834 »

"So being back in there, there was a road to get there that we had to walk on. Because it was happening, and then it wasn’t happening, and then it was happening… and I had some frustrations dealing with the whole show, with David, I just had feelings about it. So finally we came to terms with what we were doing, and he wrote this beautiful stuff for Audrey to do, that was upsetting and sad and haunting. It was David again. You go over to David’s pool and you dive in. “One time I was supposed to do this scene, and I don’t think I was there at all, or I intellectualised it too much. It’s just this short scene where she gets really upset and she gets really lost. We went to shoot that, and we ended the day, and he knew subconsciously it wasn’t right. The next day I was totally lost and he said ‘well that’s the one’. And he didn’t say anything, we just knew. He’s a little maestro, a little magician.

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/"

From Lynch:

"LYNCH: Wasn’t Sherilynn Fenn great?

JENSEN: Yeah, and you gave her a tough part to play.

LYNCH: Yeah."
Firewalkwithme91
Roadhouse Member

Post by Firewalkwithme91 »

Big fans of Audrey´s character should be happy. Now they have their "How´s Audrey?"-cliffhanger. :)
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Doesn't anyone else think she just wanted more money? We know about her financial troubles, and I'm guessing just about everyone aside from Kyle was working for scale or whatever.

Also, she seems to imply in that quote above that Lynch alone wrote her scenes, which is not at all surprising given their nature. And it lends credence to the idea that she held out well into the production and they had to change her story line completely (probably wasn't major to begin with, which may have been part of the source of her frustration, but made it so they could have just written her out rather easily).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

BGate wrote:Also, she seems to imply in that quote above that Lynch alone wrote her scenes, which is not at all surprising given their nature. And it lends credence to the idea that she held out well into the production and they had to change her story line completely (probably wasn't major to begin with, which may have been part of the source of her frustration, but made it so they could have just written her out rather easily).
I didn't read too much into her comment. Strikes me as just careless phrasing/the typical "DKL did everything" thing that all of us fall into occasionally. It's too easy to forget Mark's enormous contributions because Lynch's reputation looms so large. And Fenn obviously has a much closer (albeit oft-contentious) relationship with Lynch than Frost.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Sounds like there were some tweaks to her story https://twitter.com/sherilynfenn1/statu ... 9494967296
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
BGate wrote:Also, she seems to imply in that quote above that Lynch alone wrote her scenes, which is not at all surprising given their nature. And it lends credence to the idea that she held out well into the production and they had to change her story line completely (probably wasn't major to begin with, which may have been part of the source of her frustration, but made it so they could have just written her out rather easily).
I didn't read too much into her comment. Strikes me as just careless phrasing/the typical "DKL did everything" thing that all of us fall into occasionally. It's too easy to forget Mark's enormous contributions because Lynch's reputation looms so large. And Fenn obviously has a much closer (albeit oft-contentious) relationship with Lynch than Frost.

It could be that, but taken in context with everything else she's said/whispers we've heard, I don't think my theory is a major stretch.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I can't help but wonder, in the event of a season four, whether Richard/Coop will find Audrey in that white room...

It felt like it was setting something up for later...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mystery Roach wrote:One thing I can say is that throughout all of this Sherilyn Fenn has never had anything but praise for David Lynch, so I don't think her problem was with the role, but how she was treated by others behind the scenes. Nevertheless she's been very supportive of the show itself, and was even campaigning for another season.
She was definitely upset with Lynch himself at some point. She tweeted so at the time, and has also hinted at it in a recent interview.

I don't think the story we got with Audrey is the story originally written for her. I think she refused to play what she was originally given, and since Lynch still wanted Fenn/Audrey involved, ended up writing her this new storyline that she filmed at the end of the shoot. I don't think the whole mystery of her situation was in the original story at all, which added ambiguity and some confusion to the whole Richard situation that likely wasn't there originally. Fenn was originally supposed to film with the other other actors in WA before she walked and her part was changed.

I don't think we can look at her role as is and understand what she was upset about, as this is the story she was happy with that Lynch eventually wrote for her. It was another tricky situation that the production had to work around. As Audrey was needed in the story being Richard's mom, and yet story surrounding that had to be tweaked on the fly, which ultimately added some confusion.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Ross wrote:
Mystery Roach wrote:One thing I can say is that throughout all of this Sherilyn Fenn has never had anything but praise for David Lynch, so I don't think her problem was with the role, but how she was treated by others behind the scenes. Nevertheless she's been very supportive of the show itself, and was even campaigning for another season.
She was definitely upset with Lynch himself at some point. She tweeted so at the time, and has also hinted at it in a recent interview.

I don't think the story we got with Audrey is the story originally written for her. I think she refused to play what she was originally given, and since Lynch still wanted Fenn/Audrey involved, ended up writing her this new storyline that she filmed at the end of the shoot. I don't think the whole mystery of her situation was in the original story at all, which added ambiguity and some confusion to the whole Richard situation that likely wasn't there originally. Fenn was originally supposed to film with the other other actors in WA before she walked and her part was changed.

I don't think we can look at her role as is and understand what she was upset about, as this is the story she was happy with that Lynch eventually wrote for her. It was another tricky situation that the production had to work around. As Audrey was needed in the story being Richard's mom, and yet story surrounding that had to be tweaked on the fly, which ultimately added some confusion.
Any idea about the Johnny Horne recasting? After reading that Robert Bauer had been spotted on set, I'd read (or possibly just assumed) that Sherilyn signing on late led to reshoots which he wasn't available for. Given there weren't any Audrey/Johnny scenes, though, this can't be the case...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Henrys Hair wrote:Any idea about the Johnny Horne recasting? After reading that Robert Bauer had been spotted on set, I'd read (or possibly just assumed) that Sherilyn signing on late led to reshoots which he wasn't available for. Given there weren't any Audrey/Johnny scenes, though, this can't be the case...
No idea why Johnny was recast, but I don't think it had anything to do with Fenn. Bauer being seen onset turned out to be mistaken identity. It was actually the new actor who was seen, and those who thought they had seen Bauer have gone back and looked at photos shot on location and confirmed it was indeed Erik Rondell.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Ross wrote:
Henrys Hair wrote:Any idea about the Johnny Horne recasting? After reading that Robert Bauer had been spotted on set, I'd read (or possibly just assumed) that Sherilyn signing on late led to reshoots which he wasn't available for. Given there weren't any Audrey/Johnny scenes, though, this can't be the case...
No idea why Johnny was recast, but I don't think it had anything to do with Fenn. Bauer being seen onset turned out to be mistaken identity. It was actually the new actor who was seen, and those who thought they had seen Bauer have gone back and looked at photos shot on location and confirmed it was indeed Erik Rondell.
Thanks Ross - hadn't realised that the on-set sighting was mistaken.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Perhaps since Johnnys part turned out to be mostly physical, they decided to cast a stuntman?
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

That would certainly make sense. I still think it's a shame they didn't show more of Johnny Horne in the original run. The deleted scenes suggested he was being lined up to be a prime suspect in Laura's murder, and his scene at the funeral (as well as Jacoby persuading him to remove his head-dress as his parents argued) was an early highlight I hoped we'd see more of.