What Did Laura Whisper?

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

User avatar
Rhiannon
Posts: 22
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:09 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:14 pm

dreamshake wrote:I think Cooper fails to realize that Leland is culpable for his actions on some level. So he'd still be shocked to hear from Laura that "my father killed me."


Interesting, never thought about that...like that theory.
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Soolsma » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.
I believe all these phenomena that our putted-up egos and busy ant minds persist in trying to label, categorize, penetrate, and comphrehend, all spring from this same uncanny source. This is the mother of all "others".
Hester Prynne
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:10 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Hester Prynne » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:59 pm

I would say "we live inside a dream," but it seems like she's saying a lot more than just one line.

Also, it looked like Coop pulled away from her as she kept whispering to him as though he didn't want to hear anymore because it was too terrible.
User avatar
PsychoFox
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:51 pm
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby PsychoFox » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:39 am

It's a way for Frost & Lynch to put back a secret, because the sentence was revealed in season 2.

For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".
Last edited by PsychoFox on Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
The Archivist
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby The Archivist » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 am

Sheryl told Kyle "my son is actually David's".
Manwith
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Manwith » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:24 am

Soolsma wrote:Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.


It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:32 am

Manwith wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.


It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.


Correct. Just like Lynch and Frost did not originally want to ever solve the Laura Palmer murder mystery until their hand was forced by ABC.

However, I think the intellectual exercise of trying to figure out what Laura may have said is a good one.
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Soolsma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:26 am

mtwentz wrote:
Manwith wrote:
Soolsma wrote:Maybe she once more told him the killer's (BOB) name, Cooper himself in this case.

No way Lynch directed her to ad-lib just whatever. That wouldn't suit his style at all. He is so in to details, also unnoticeable ones.


It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.


Correct. Just like Lynch and Frost did not originally want to ever solve the Laura Palmer murder mystery until their hand was forced by ABC.


However, Lynch and Frost did for themselves identify who the killer was, way before the forced reveal. If I recall correctly it was not long after the pilot.

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out. I felt that would be stating the obvious. I would like to note though, that to Lynch -and thereby to us- this is very much a puzzle, waiting to be solved (or not). Lynch has said on multiple occasions that the creative process is like being in a room, whereby the whole of the product is already complete in the room next to it. Slowly he takes out his rod and starts reeling the ideas in, bit by bit. I feel that in that sense Laura definitely whispered something in his ear; whether we know, Lynch knows, Lee knows or nobody does.
I believe all these phenomena that our putted-up egos and busy ant minds persist in trying to label, categorize, penetrate, and comphrehend, all spring from this same uncanny source. This is the mother of all "others".
Manwith
Posts: 171
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Manwith » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:39 am

Soolsma wrote:

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out.


Since there's a subset of fandom that seems to think we're supposed to create youtube videos playing two scenes side by side in order to unlock secret meanings, I thought it was worth pointing out that David Lynch isn't The Riddler.
User avatar
mine
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun May 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby mine » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

PsychoFox wrote:It's a way for Frost & Lynch to put back a secret, because the sentence was revealed in season 2.

For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".

It seems like a way longer sentence.
User avatar
Shloogorgh
Posts: 116
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:33 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Shloogorgh » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

There was a Reddit thread that isolated and adjusted the sounds from the scene in episode 2 and came up with:

"Don't assume, nobody can spot your dark suit but me."
User avatar
Soolsma
Posts: 860
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby Soolsma » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:40 am

Manwith wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out.


Since there's a subset of fandom that seems to think we're supposed to create youtube videos playing two scenes side by side in order to unlock secret meanings, I thought it was worth pointing out that David Lynch isn't The Riddler.


:) Fair enough
I believe all these phenomena that our putted-up egos and busy ant minds persist in trying to label, categorize, penetrate, and comphrehend, all spring from this same uncanny source. This is the mother of all "others".
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1376
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby mtwentz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:53 pm

Soolsma wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Manwith wrote:
It isn't a clue. You aren't supposed to know what she said. If the audience isn't supposed to hear it, it makes sense that it would be an ad-lib. Even if it wasn't an ad-lib, it should be something like nonsense talk to prevent you from figuring it out. It's not a puzzle, the fact that you don't know what it is is the whole point.

It's the final image of the show, unspeakable secrets that cannot be said aloud. You will never know what she said, and you aren't supposed to.


Correct. Just like Lynch and Frost did not originally want to ever solve the Laura Palmer murder mystery until their hand was forced by ABC.


However, Lynch and Frost did for themselves identify who the killer was, way before the forced reveal. If I recall correctly it was not long after the pilot.

And yes, I am very aware that we aren't supposed to know nor figure it out. I felt that would be stating the obvious. I would like to note though, that to Lynch -and thereby to us- this is very much a puzzle, waiting to be solved (or not). Lynch has said on multiple occasions that the creative process is like being in a room, whereby the whole of the product is already complete in the room next to it. Slowly he takes out his rod and starts reeling the ideas in, bit by bit. I feel that in that sense Laura definitely whispered something in his ear; whether we know, Lynch knows, Lee knows or nobody does.


Yeah, I guess it's up for debate whether they really were 'never' going to reveal the killer. I don't see how they could have gotten away with that without being run out of Hollywood on a rail.

Laura's whispering in Dale's ear is a little easier for them to get away with. It wasn't the focus of the show like Laura Palmer's murder was the focus of the original run.
User avatar
PsychoFox
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:51 pm
Location: Paris
Contact:

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby PsychoFox » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:57 am

mine wrote:
PsychoFox wrote: For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".


It seems like a way longer sentence.

Yes, I agree.
I meant a sentence of this kind.
writersblock
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:03 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Postby writersblock » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:34 am

You know what I don't get? Why people need to be so down on other people's ideas.

That is, to me, the beauty of Lynch stuff. Openness to debate. I mean, we could talk about his films and shows forever and all have different (if sometimes similar) ideas.

Who cares if someone has put something on Youtube showing the scene where Dougie is going to drink poisoned coffee side by side with Nadine's cheerleaders trial? What actual harm are they doing you? If you don't like theories you have two choices (you actually have three - but you have two respectful choices)

1. Ignore it
2, Debate it.

Is there any need for snarky "I think you're an idiot" or sarcastic replies?

We have been given a gift. We're all fans of Lynch's work. Okay some people didn't like The Return (and I respectfully disagree) but do we need to be so aggressive about it?

And to say what Laura whispered to Cooper isn't a clue based on the fact that we will never know what she says is something I disagree with. It can be both.

It's a subject for debate and just because we don't hear what she said doesn't mean what she said was meaningless or not important. Maybe it was the most important piece of dialogue in the whole show - but we didn't hear it? Maybe she said "Anyway Kyle, David asked me to whisper in your ear - look surprised!"

It's a mystery. It's a clue. It can be both. Cooper reacted to it. To me, that's important. But to other people it might not be.

We all take different things out of this show.

Calling people out on theories - especially ones they have put a lot of thought and enthusiasm to, is bullying. Plain and simple. And some people seem to get off on it.

And that's a tale older than the Internet.

Maybe we enjoyed the original run of Twin Peaks more because we didn't have as much of a gateway to people shooting down our ideas.

I love most of the theories I've read on here and other places - even if they're not the same as mine - because it's got people thinking. Surely that's a good thing?

Anyway rant over :-)

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests