Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Troubbble
RR Diner Member

Re: Predictions - will Season 3 be the last Twin Peaks? (SPOILERS)

Post by Troubbble »

I'm not really holding out hope for a new season, but if there were one, I think it would be thrilling to see Mark and David going off in some bold, new direction, without being hampered by 25-year-old cliffhangers from the original series.

The loss of Albert, The Log Lady, and others would make the whole thing kind of bittersweet. But perhaps that would be off-set somewhat, if someone like Harry Truman could return again, down the line... A continuation would also mean potential room for Chris Isaak, Heather Graham, and others who have been absent so far.

Talking myself into excitement as I go! But we'll see...
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Troubbble wrote:I'm not really holding out hope for a new season, but if there were one, I think it would be thrilling to see Mark and David going off in some bold, new direction, without being hampered by 25-year-old cliffhangers from the original series.
That's basically what already happened with The Return.
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Season 4 should happen.

Otherwise, perhaps a series of Showtime original movies?
referendum
RR Diner Member

Post by referendum »

well, i would be interested to see a new series, or more than one series, because lynch has never really made good on his desire to have a' continuing story' - he tried it with TP 1/2 and the networks shut it down, he tried with mulholland drive, the networks said no to the series, it would be good if someone gave him and frost a green-light to go where they want with this, as an open-ended thing...
''let's not overthink this opportunity''
PeteMartell

Post by PeteMartell »

If it doesn't happen I don't know how I am going to survive.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

When a new reality asserts itself at the end of season three, the stage will be set for a season four that feels closer to the original show...
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

well, i would be interested to see a new series, or more than one series, because lynch has never really made good on his desire to have a' continuing story' - he tried it with TP 1/2 and the networks shut it down, he tried with mulholland drive, the networks said no to the series, it would be good if someone gave him and frost a green-light to go where they want with this, as an open-ended thing...
I hope there will be an announcement forthcoming after the Season finale airs. Good point on the fact Lynch hasn't really had much luck with some of his shows but I think some of that has to do with the fact he's super willing to wait...and wait... Until gets an idea, enough money to compel him to do something with whatever he's doing it seems to me.

A big drawback with a film or two is there'll be another 1 to 2 yr wait and that's all we'll get whereas series way more story to see where things go I agree. I just find myself speculating from time to time what follow-up Lynch would've made to FWWM if he could have (One centered on Phillip Jeffries rumor sounded pretty interested too bad that can't ever happen). In other words I would like them both. :mrgreen:
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I for one am not sure how to approach the finale. If I knew it was the last TP ever, I'd be weeping for the whole thing and trying to hold on to every moment.

Perhaps not knowing if there is going to be more is a good thing ;-)
whoisalhedges
RR Diner Member

Post by whoisalhedges »

baxter wrote: Pqerhaps not knowing if there is going to be more is a good thing ;-)
QFT

I am 99% sure that Lynch & Frost are 99% sure. Never say never - nobody thought we'd get TPTR, on the other hand, they might be planning on starting writing come Monday, and one could get hit by a bus Monday morning.

But they probably know whether they're going to make more Twin Peaks or not. They just can't come out and say it because it'd be a distraction.

If we know, 100%, that this is The End, we'll be worried about how it fits as a final capstone to all stories, rather than judging it on its own merits. And if we know more TP is forthcoming, then we won't be treating this with the importance it's meant to have. Because, you know, we don't have Catherine or Miguel. We haven't had Don, Frank, or Jack for a long time. We don't have Bowie or Warren Frost. And time is stalking several other cast members, who are in fine health today, but time takes us all....

Sunday night may not be the end. But it absolutely is an end. And they don't wanna distract from that.
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

whoisalhedges wrote:
baxter wrote: Pqerhaps not knowing if there is going to be more is a good thing ;-)
QFT

I am 99% sure that Lynch & Frost are 99% sure. Never say never - nobody thought we'd get TPTR, on the other hand, they might be planning on starting writing come Monday, and one could get hit by a bus Monday morning.

But they probably know whether they're going to make more Twin Peaks or not. They just can't come out and say it because it'd be a distraction.

If we know, 100%, that this is The End, we'll be worried about how it fits as a final capstone to all stories, rather than judging it on its own merits. And if we know more TP is forthcoming, then we won't be treating this with the importance it's meant to have. Because, you know, we don't have Catherine or Miguel. We haven't had Don, Frank, or Jack for a long time. We don't have Bowie or Warren Frost. And time is stalking several other cast members, who are in fine health today, but time takes us all....

Sunday night may not be the end. But it absolutely is an end. And they don't wanna distract from that.
Agreed: time is definitely the big bad when it comes to the prospects of further TP. Even when it isn't just a matter of coffin-dodging among the old stalwarts, there's the question of whether enough new recruits have been mustered, and if new blood can carry this weighty inheritance. The almost gleeful consistency which new characters have been quickly done away with doesn't bode well from the point of view of continuity. A new series would be starting with a very sparse 'skeleton service' of cast members and a whole raft of new faces. Unless the question of recasts can be settled more satisfactorily than replacing everyone with kitchen appliances, of course. Then there's the question of how much of a younger audience has been pulled.

I said originally I was cautiously optimistic. Now I'm just cautious.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

Novalis wrote:Agreed: time is definitely the big bad when it comes to the prospects of further TP.
If Lynch is somehow satisfied with how the show has been put on the 'right' track again, and still feels that serial television is a beautiful thing, I wonder if (for the most part) moving back into a studio again, with capable directors to share the burden - under his watchful eyes - could speed up the process a bit.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

I am extremely skeptical, and frankly, too much of a good thing is bad. I'm almost leaning toward hoping there isn't another season because of that fear.

But this interview with Sherilynn is the latest example of open-mindedness from David, Mark and the cast that really is leaving me wondering if we should prepare for a real possibility.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/culture/ ... vid-lynch/
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member

Post by DoppelBocker »

Interesting interview. Mr. Lynch seems to really enjoy Twin Peaks as everyone else so hopefully some ideas come up and the ball can get rolling.

by The Gazebo
If Lynch is somehow satisfied with how the show has been put on the 'right' track again, and still feels that serial television is a beautiful thing, I wonder if (for the most part) moving back into a studio again, with capable directors to share the burden - under his watchful eyes - could speed up the process a bit.
As time is limited for sure, that's what I've been thinking as well. Cinematography probably not as tightly controlled so type of narrative organization used for story may be different than season 3 if this is the case. This 18 episode season would've been very hard to pull off if it wasn't 1 director directly involved with the whole thing (mainly just camera work like watching Dougie turn on the TV set; Sonny Jim playing on gym; various angles used Dougie's workplace to fit a scene, and being able to make what some would see as filler if done in a non-art piece sitcom type show intriguing.). Season 3 takes it's time when it wants to while somehow treading very carefully each episode just sort of going along when so many things to cover! This sort of narrative would've been hard to do with multiple directors but definitely I think a good fitting Twin Peaks story could still be done if Lynch were to provide oversite on some parts and direct others. Season 4 could still be an authentic Twin Peaks story told in a different way and not necessarily be a bad thing.

Unless the question of recasts can be settled more satisfactorily than replacing everyone with kitchen appliances, of course. Then there's the question of how much of a younger audience has been pulled.
On a non-serious note:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWNgt-x4Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWNgt-x4Gk[/youtube]
Novalis
RR Diner Member

Post by Novalis »

Gotta admit, during this latest rewatch I'm warming to the idea of a season 4.

Now Tammy has been groomed in the absurd mystery of the strange forces of existence, she can lead an investigation into the disappearance of former agents. She can start with Cooper, if necessary, but I want me some Chet Desmond.
As a matter of fact, 'Chalfont' was the name of the people that rented this space before. Two Chalfonts. Weird, huh?
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

I loved, loved, loved, loved, LOVED Season 3... and I think that it's the end.

It feels right. "Twin Peaks" should not end with everything neatly settled. It should end murky and mysterious. It's the "Twin Peaks" way. It's dark and beautiful and crazy and impenetrable. This isn't "Star Wars".

Season 3 is something that I'll be watching and re-watching and thinking about for the rest of my life. I don't need a Season 4.

IF it happens, I hope it's because Lynch and Frost have an earnest vision for it, as opposed to something generated from mere fan demand. I trust them to stay true. I have no doubt that they will.