Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Venus
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Venus »

Aqwell wrote:
Venus wrote:So can anyone tell me if anybody has yet got to the bottom of why evil Coop had a dog leg in the boot of his car?
Does it really matter?
No, it doesn't, and that was the point of my post 8) There appears to be an irony bypass in this thread. :)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Eva Marie wrote:VERY interesting observations from Frost. It makes perfect sense that the only 2 Lynch projects that gained mainstream success were collaborations: TP and Elephant Man (the script was written by someone else).
He was nominated for an Oscar for Mulholland Dr. and Blue Velvet. I'd say that's about as mainstream as it gets.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Last week end I saw Blade Runner 2049, all the reviews were good enough to convince me to go to the cinema, and it bored me to death. It reminded me my painful experience with The Return. Not as bad as TPTR, fortunatly, but still amazingly boring. And yet again, everyone talks about the masterpiece it is (not). I'm not sure to go back in a movie theater before a while...
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Aqwell wrote:Last week end I saw Blade Runner 2049, all the reviews were good enough to convince me to go to the cinema, and it bored me to death. It reminded me my painful experience with The Return. Not as bad as TPTR, fortunatly, but still amazingly boring. And yet again, everyone talks about the masterpiece it is (not). I'm not sure to go back in a movie theater before a while...
I haven't seen it yet, but when I saw this review from a friend on facebook
Well, I thought the new Blade Runner was beautiful. But then my generation of replicants was designed to enjoy hypnotically-paced somnambulant mood pieces.
I immediately thought of Season 3 and the PDSG, so seeing your post made complete sense to me. Sorry you didn't enjoy it though.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

I had another night filled with Twin Peaks -dreams. It's getting quite harrowing, when it mostly reminded me of the disappointing season 3. There was even a monologue by Ben Horne trying to explain that giving answers was never the purpose of the series. Maybe. But surely the purpose wasn't to fail telling a story as well.
PeaksCarnivaleLost
Roadhouse Member

Post by PeaksCarnivaleLost »

Venus wrote:
Aqwell wrote:
Venus wrote:So can anyone tell me if anybody has yet got to the bottom of why evil Coop had a dog leg in the boot of his car?
Does it really matter?
No, it doesn't, and that was the point of my post 8) There appears to be an irony bypass in this thread. :)

The dog leg was what he used to convince the Warden to let him go with Ray. (Mr. Strawberry scene)

My question is why did Gordon Cole state" Coop flew the Coop" when he did it with an FBI Informant (RAY) and probably should not have been shocked as it seemed later on it was part of the plan.
SubV

Post by SubV »

Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire and now TPTR = all huge mess. No story, no sense, no soul, no decent soundtrack.

Let's face it: most of the current TPTR apologists never heard about any Lynch's works before MD and "Lynch's 10 Clues". :)

Sorry guys and gals. But I seriously think the Lynch lost his mind years ago. Just after the premiere of Lost Highway, perhaps? Who knows.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

SubV wrote:Mulholland Dr.,
I actually understand Mulholland Drive quite well these days. It does cheat in a way that we shouldn't let Lynch get away with, but do for some reason. But it isn't a pointless mess like TPTR.

I've yet to watch Inland Empire. I bought the DVD years ago but haven't found it in me to actually watch it.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

SubV wrote:Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire and now TPTR = all huge mess. No story, no sense, no soul, no decent soundtrack.

Let's face it: most of the current TPTR apologists never heard about any Lynch's works before MD and "Lynch's 10 Clues". :)

Sorry guys and gals. But I seriously think the Lynch lost his mind years ago. Just after the premiere of Lost Highway, perhaps? Who knows.

I wholeheartedly agree with you about MD - talk about over-rated! I haven't yet seen Inland Empire nor Lost Highway, so I can't quite divide Lynch's work into phases or clusters quality-wise. The last really good product of his that I thoroughly enjoyed was Straight Story. Am a huge fan of Wild at Heart, FWWM and, above all, Blue Velvet (all works of genius) - the latter is a quintessential Lynch for me and a quintessential 80's flick (with that strong 50's-like timeless vibe that some of the original Peaks captures as well). Thought Eraserhead was horrible, Elephant Man was OK, and haven't seen Dune as of yet.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Kilmoore wrote:
SubV wrote:Mulholland Dr.,
I actually understand Mulholland Drive quite well these days. It does cheat in a way that we shouldn't let Lynch get away with, but do for some reason. But it isn't a pointless mess like TPTR.

I've yet to watch Inland Empire. I bought the DVD years ago but haven't found it in me to actually watch it.
I've watched it yesterday for the 10th time. I dare say it is the second best movie in the history of cinema. Unbelievably scary and intense. Even though I know what is coming.
nick1218
Roadhouse Member

Post by nick1218 »

SubV wrote:Mulholland Dr., Inland Empire and now TPTR = all huge mess. No story, no sense, no soul, no decent soundtrack.

Totally agree in fact I have decided to always say I loved 20th century Lynch and once the century turned he did too. I think Mullholland Drive, although it has some great scenes is a greatly overrated mess. After all it was done as a tv show that got rejected and rejiggered as a movie and had lots of scenes that went nowhere, characters who never came back, and drawn out scenes (Badalamenti's espresso scene, wtf). Inland Empire was bizarrely bad, hardly watchable and now this stain called The Return

what a shame. Well thanks for the 23 years or so David up to Straight Story. Loved them.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

nick1218 wrote:lots of scenes that went nowhere, characters who never came back, and drawn out scenes (Badalamenti's espresso scene, wtf).
Technically they ALL came back at the end (more or less), and there IS an explanation to the Badalamenti's coffee scene.
Spoiler:
The party scene at the end of MD is a flasback, Diane Selwyn included some persons she saw that night on her dream (like the Cowboy, Badalamenti's character, Coco, Camilla new girlfriend etc.). She was drinking coffee when she saw Badalamenti's character, I suppose it tasted like shit due to her emotional distress, so in her dream she mixed bad coffee + Badalamenti, as she did with many other things. The blue key, in reality (aka the final part of MD) is just a signal given by the hitman she hired to let her know the job is done (Camilla is dead). But in her dream she is still wondering what that opens (like a blue pandora's box, because she unleashed chaos on her ex-lover).
And to me MD deserves to be called a masterpiece, as well as The Return deserves to be called a steaming pile of garbage.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Have any of the disappointed crew gone back to watch series 1 and 2 and FWWM since viewing TP3? I was wondering if it changed how you felt about them now when watching.

I've decided to brave it tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully it won't feel too weird.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Twin Peaks Podcast
Roadhouse Member

Post by Twin Peaks Podcast »

Venus wrote:Have any of the disappointed crew gone back to watch series 1 and 2 and FWWM since viewing TP3? I was wondering if it changed how you felt about them now when watching.

I've decided to brave it tonight and see how it goes. Hopefully it won't feel too weird.
Gonna give it a couple years I think.

This series has really severed my connection with the show.
Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

Venus wrote:Have any of the disappointed crew gone back to watch series 1 and 2 and FWWM since viewing TP3? I was wondering if it changed how you felt about them now when watching.
I think I'll be alright. The way I see it is that in S3, Cooper traveled back in time to stop Laura from being killed. But that didn't happen since S1 and S2 still exist. We can watch them and as a fictional universe, they still exist. That means S3 never happened so it's ok.