Last Film You Watched

Off Topic discussion goes here.

Moderators: Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Jerry Horne

Forum rules
Friendly off-topic discussions are welcome.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Last Film You Watched

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Naturally, I refer to non-David Lynch films, (as they all got their own forums). Anyone want to kick off a general topic about a specific film or films, keep it to their own topic. For this, list a film you might have watched, a bit of a review, perhaps some kind of rating or recommendation. Such as this:

Heat
I always forget how good this film is. I still think that first hour can be tough-going if you're not in the mood for this dense crime drama. Still, Mann directs with a hugely confident and breathless skill throughout. DeNiro and Pacino particularly are brilliant in their respective roles, their coffee shop sit-down putting across their characters' ideas, fears and motivations in their dual roles, all of which are at the heart of this brilliantly written narrative.
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Re: Last Film You Watched

Post by TheArm »

I just saw BURN AFTER READING this weekend. I thought it was alright, kinda lightweight and insubstantial, which I know is what they were going for. But when you've got so many amazing people involved, is it so wrong to hope for/expect a little bit more? Enjoyable enough and some quite funny moments, but it will have left your head by the time you get back to your car.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

Post by neverwakingworld »

I saw Tetsuo the Iron Man. It is a Kaiju movie that is influenced by Eraserhead. It takes the stylistic elements of Eraserhead but it has less meaning behind it. It is more action oriented. it tries to have a similar editing style but it dosn't work as well when the majority of the film is consumed by two long fights.
iluvtwinpeaks

Post by iluvtwinpeaks »

hello everyone!

this weekend, i watched "the fountain" which i really enjoyed. the tone of the film was so sad and at times heartbreaking, in my opinion. i highly recommend it, even though it is about as far from a david lynch film as you can get, in both the cinematography and the way it was directed. i want to see it again, it really made me think, and i want to rewatch it!

kirstin
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

I f you liked the fountain you should check out pi and requiem for a dream. They are all by Darren Aronofsky .
iluvtwinpeaks

Post by iluvtwinpeaks »

oh i have seen requiem for a dream, it is one of my favorite films! i haven't seen pi, but i know that darren aranofsky also directed it.

kirstin
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

iluvtwinpeaks wrote:oh i have seen requiem for a dream, it is one of my favorite films! i haven't seen pi, but i know that darren aranofsky also directed it.

kirstin
i wouldn't recommend it to anyone to watch this (Requiem for a dream)
it was one of the worst films i've seen. the characters were soulless.
iluvtwinpeaks

Post by iluvtwinpeaks »

i think calling the characters in requiem for a dream "soulless" isn't quite accurate. they were all certainly lost and in trouble as a result of their addictions and choices. i respect that you dislike the film, but to say the characters are "soulless" isn't a very accurate perception.

kirstin
jina
Roadhouse Member

Post by jina »

iluvtwinpeaks wrote:i think calling the characters in requiem for a dream "soulless" isn't quite accurate. they were all certainly lost and in trouble as a result of their addictions and choices. i respect that you dislike the film, but to say the characters are "soulless" isn't a very accurate perception.

kirstin

honestly, this is what i feel about the characters in the film, all of them. to me this was a bad and ugly movie.

and, i have nothing against drug films, it's not that i dislike the film for its theme, but the way the story is built has no depth at all. if it was a presentation of addiction by a doctor, alright, but as an artistic approach, it's a show off, the director probably just put some facts down and filmed it. "soulless" is the most accurate description for it, imho.
EZamor

Post by EZamor »

jina wrote:honestly, this is what i feel about the characters in the film, all of them. to me this was a bad and ugly movie.
i don't remember thinking the characters themselves in "requiem for a dream" were soulless, but the film as a whole, mostly due to the direction and editing, felt intolerably soulless, distanced, and forced to me. like the director is simply saying, "drug addiction is dreadful." okay, it can be. and...? "and nothing. i hear that drug addiction is dreadful. from what i understand, all it can ever do is lead any life down a certain dark and miserable path. and i have a camera and i can show that. see?"

anyway, the last film i saw was "last year in marienbad." i hadn't seen it before, but it seems to have a few things in common with "INLAND EMPIRE." ...and maybe even "mulholland dr." if you think of the diane/camilla storyline as betty and rita's "last year in marienbad."

a: "je n'ai meme jamais ete a frederiksbad."
rita: "yo nunca fuí a casablanca con luigi"
Last edited by EZamor on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neverwakingworld
Roadhouse Member

The first time i saw requiem for a dream i thought that it was intentional that the characters were so flat and soulless. I continued to think that until i saw pi and the fountain and they seemed to have the same problem the characters don't seem to be important they just seem as though they are just another metaphor and there is nothing else behind them. I like Aronofsky's film's but they seem a little dead.

The last film i watched was Tetsuo 2 the body hammer and it was just as good as the first one. It didn't try to be the first movie but took similar characters and then took the film in a different direction. The first one was about sex. Its two giant fight scenes where he kills them both with a power drill penis. The second one seems to be about violence and destruction. The first reminded me of Akira, Eraserhead and FLCL. The second reminded me of Donnie Darko and Akira.
mixomatosis
Roadhouse Member

Post by mixomatosis »

Philosophy Of A Knife

The most violent film I've ever seen, and based on the true events of the Japanese medical experimentation centre in World War II - Unit 731. For an incredibly NSFW clip, type 'Unit 731 teeth' into YouTube, and prepare to squirm.
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Checked out the commentary on Ghostbusters - Ramis and Reitman have such an affectious love and appreciation during the time making the film. A great supplement to a great movie. :)
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

Recently I watched Almost famous and I've to say that I really liked this movie. I was a little bit surprised because I didn't expect anything from it but surprisingly it turned out to be a enjoyable film for me.
Christian1989
RR Diner Member

Post by Christian1989 »

Delete
Last edited by Christian1989 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.