Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Aqwell »

I noticed there are 3 types of fans, more or less :

1- The Happy Ones (The Return is a Masterpiece, it's Art, Lynch is my god...)
2- The Formerly Happy Ones (Wait, nope the ending sucked so it's shit)
3- The Ugly Haters (Come on guys, it was awful from the beginning, are you fucking blind?)

I'm type 3 if you're still wondering... :mrgreen:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Aqwell wrote:I noticed there are 3 types of fans, more or less :

1- The Happy Ones (The Return is a Masterpiece, it's Art, Lynch is my god...)
2- The Formerly Happy Ones (Wait, nope the ending sucked so it's shit)
3- The Ugly Haters (Come on guys, it was awful from the beginning, are you fucking blind?)

I'm type 3 if you're still wondering... :mrgreen:
Shouldn’t that be “the Happy Generations”?

I’ve been comfortably in the “it’s flawed and indulgent but mostly great” camp pretty much from day 1 to present, and I can think of several others with comparably nuanced reactions, so I think you’re oversimplifying a bit. Also, I haven’t noticed too many people falling into your #2 category. Even a lot of people in this thread seem to have thought Part 18 was better than most of the preceding hours, it was just too little too late. I recall a few people wishing it had been the premiere and the season had picked up from where 18 ends. I don’t recall very many people at all loving the series through Part 16 and being turned off by the finale.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

i'm definitely a #2, although to be fair i started having reservations as early as part 3. the finale is what pushed me over the edge into outright dislike/hatred though, for reasons that others itt have elaborated far better than i could.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Disappointed Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: I’ve been comfortably in the “it’s flawed and indulgent but mostly great” camp
Yep, that's pretty much my category as well
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Even a lot of people in this thread seem to have thought Part 18 was better than most of the preceding hours, it was just too little too late. I recall a few people wishing it had been the premiere and the season had picked up from where 18 ends. I don’t recall very many people at all loving the series through Part 16 and being turned off by the finale.
Couldn't agree more about Part 18, it was definitely better than everything that came before (with the exception of Part 8 ).
And when it comes to "being turned off by the finale" maybe he means the showdown at the police station with Bubble BOB? That was by far the worst thing about the entire season for me. For a moment I thought I was watching Spy Kids. Just embarrassing.
Aqwell
RR Diner Member

Post by Aqwell »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Even a lot of people in this thread seem to have thought Part 18 was better than most of the preceding hours, it was just too little too late.
It was intriguing but underwhelming. No real conclusion or confrontation with Judy/The Experiment/Sarah Palmer or anything else. If it's the 'real' world and all that preceded was a dream, that's lame, and if it's a parallel universe, ditto, it undermines as well the known universe of TP.

I imagine Lynch wondering how to get Laura back amongst the living at the end :
OK so, time travel or parallel universe?... Fuck it, why not both?
Oh and Laura's mother became evil, but big ass Evil, like the Mother of Evil, not sure about the name yet.
Exactly like Laura Dern's evil mother in my movie Wild at Heart. Wicked Witch and stuff.
Could she be Bob's mother? Fuck yeah. Born from nuke... and puke! That's good shit.

THIS IS ART! (just kidding)
Spoiler:
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

I liked part 18, my only issue was how disconnected it felt from the previous 16-17 hours. Did we really need Dougie for 16 parts? I still don't get the point of that whole thing other than Lynch wanting to finally do Ronnie Rocket. If we saw some sort of journey, self-actualization or insight into Cooper from it, I could understand, but I didn't get any of that. Maybe there's something I'm missing? Aside from David Lynch being nihilistic.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

I really shouldn't be posting here anymore. I genuinely dislike being the grumpy, dissatisfied guy, because it's somewhat out of character. Nor do I wish to be telling fans about how "wrong" they are in liking this show. Hell, I haven't even been close to doing a rewatch of the damned thing.

And yet, no matter how "finished" I am with The Return, I still harbor that sense of resentment, disappointment, even anger. I think back at all the good scenes, and how they should have been a part of something even greater. And then I think about Green Glove, Dougie, not-particularly-evil Coop, the fragmented storytelling, the non-existing characters, shovels, red balloons, 911, teapots, fecking Tulpas, Woodsmen and Judy, and I get more and more angry at this absolute fraud of a continuation. I'm calling it now: This show might have its diehard fans and the odd academic championing it, but The Return will never, ever achieve anything near the legacy of the old show, no matter how superior some might say it is.
Spoiler:
Not trying to take away or belittle any enjoyment fans have - but this is a thread for unashamed venting :)
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

Last edited by AnotherBlueRoseCase on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
AnotherBlueRoseCase
RR Diner Member

Post by AnotherBlueRoseCase »

Last edited by AnotherBlueRoseCase on Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lynch on Trump, mid-2018: "He could go down as one of the greatest presidents in history."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Aqwell wrote:
THIS IS ART! (just kidding)
Spoiler:
Please, kid more often, you have me in stitches!!! It's so fun to not be a TP fan anymore (at times). :)
Thpthpthpthpthp

Post by Thpthpthpthpthp »

I'm still profoundly disappointed. But this time I'm profoundly disappointed by The Secret History of Twin Peaks, which I just finished. The framing device of the book is there's this dossier, and no one knows who wrote it, they just call him "the Archivist." The FBI gives it to Tammy Preston to carefully analyze and determine the Archivist's identity. And on every page Tammy leaves these little notes, saying things like, "I searched the National Archives and verified all documents, the lab verified this is 19th century paper and ink. The archivist's use of the first person pronoun may be a hint to his identity. I really liked this movie." So, clearly she is spending a lot of time requesting documents from other agencies, driving around and searching archives, reminiscing about films, etc. She is apparently doing what they do in the FBI.
Spoiler:
And then in the last chapter the Archivist writes, "My name is Major Garland Briggs, USAF."

Didn't anyone at the FBI try reading the dossier before they authorized all this ridiculous research? Wouldn't Tammy have at least skimmed it before she started doing field work? The book needs a framing device--the disconnected interviews and memoirs don't hold together without it--but this one doesn't work at all.
I suppose everyone already knew that, but it's new to me. A new disappointment.

The Return is still terrible.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

eyeboogers wrote:For some reason many of you seem terrified of the notion of not being spoonfed everything.
And here we fucking go again.
rugerblackhawk357
Roadhouse Member

Post by rugerblackhawk357 »

Thpthpthpthpthp wrote:I'm still profoundly disappointed. But this time I'm profoundly disappointed by The Secret History of Twin Peaks, which I just finished. The framing device of the book is there's this dossier, and no one knows who wrote it, they just call him "the Archivist." The FBI gives it to Tammy Preston to carefully analyze and determine the Archivist's identity. And on every page Tammy leaves these little notes, saying things like, "I searched the National Archives and verified all documents, the lab verified this is 19th century paper and ink. The archivist's use of the first person pronoun may be a hint to his identity. I really liked this movie." So, clearly she is spending a lot of time requesting documents from other agencies, driving around and searching archives, reminiscing about films, etc. She is apparently doing what they do in the FBI.
Spoiler:
And then in the last chapter the Archivist writes, "My name is Major Garland Briggs, USAF."

Didn't anyone at the FBI try reading the dossier before they authorized all this ridiculous research? Wouldn't Tammy have at least skimmed it before she started doing field work? The book needs a framing device--the disconnected interviews and memoirs don't hold together without it--but this one doesn't work at all.
I suppose everyone already knew that, but it's new to me. A new disappointment.

The Return is still terrible.
Maybe that's the most frustrating thing. Frost gave us these two books that try to set up a huge mythos that Lynch casually said "f**k dat" to and proceeding to destroy. I want to like the Return. I really want to. It just seems like the whole situation with a freshman waiting the last minute to complete a term paper. Then he questions why the teacher gave him an "F".
Sometimes i wish i was better off dead. No wait. Not me. You.
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Does anyone remember in the old spoiler thread someone posted a screenshot from the imdb boards saying that Lynch pitched Twin Peaks to NBC? Granted I don't know if it was true, but it said something like Lynch was amenent it would open with a recreation of the original red room sequence in episode 3 (which we did get in the opening 2 episodes at least partly). The other was something along the lines of Cooper in prison for killing two people in Twin Peaks and people thiinking it was the real Cooper. To me, that would've been more interesting than what we got.
ThumbsUp
RR Diner Member

Post by ThumbsUp »

First time in this thread so sorry if I repeat any tired arguments.

Most of my friends loved it, others thought it was bullshit. The difference separating them is that those who disliked it went in with more expectations, I think: whether it was cherry pie or a storyline structure that's even passably familiar to what we usually see in books, movies or TV (and there's nothing with that!). Those who liked it were open to whatever.

For me, it's replaced Mad Men as my all-time favourite show, although Mad Men's DNA is all over The Return.