'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Re: 'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31

Post by dkenny78 »

Spoiler:
It's interesting to read these pages because Frost clearly demonstrates a surprising knack for remembering a lot of details from the latter half of Season 2, like Leo's shock collar, birthday cake crumbs in his hair, etc. It just makes it even more odd that he would forget things like Ed and Nadine's marriage, the status of Norma's mother, Ben's Civil War outcome, and Audrey's relationship with her father at the time of the bank explosion. I'm holding out hope there's some sort of acknowledgement/explanation for the discrepancies, but I'm not counting on it.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

dkenny78 wrote:
Spoiler:
It's interesting to read these pages because Frost clearly demonstrates a surprising knack for remembering a lot of details from the latter half of Season 2, like Leo's shock collar, birthday cake crumbs in his hair, etc. It just makes it even more odd that he would forget things like Ed and Nadine's marriage, the status of Norma's mother, Ben's Civil War outcome, and Audrey's relationship with her father at the time of the bank explosion. I'm holding out hope there's some sort of acknowledgement/explanation for the discrepancies, but I'm not counting on it.
Spoiler:
I thought about this too. Many of the continuity errors/retcons correspond to the period when Peyton was essentially running the show. Maybe Mark wasn’t paying as close attention during that period? Or maybe certain things just stuck in his mind more than others
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Spoiler:
I'm still not convinced as to the neccessity of the book, but Frost really gets into the feeling of the first two seasons. Really well. He should have single-handedly written all of Albert's dialogue this season, his personality just leaps out.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

dkenny78 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
And we just got ourselves a new discrepancy. According to Tamara's notes/fact checks Ben went to the Haywards and had his concussion when Audrey was already in a coma.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

bowisneski wrote:I created an imgur album for those that might not be able to access the preview otherwise.
Thanks a lot, but I believe you forgot to upload the last page?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Spoiler:
I'm still not convinced as to the neccessity of the book, but Frost really gets into the feeling of the first two seasons. Really well. He should have single-handedly written all of Albert's dialogue this season, his personality just leaps out.
Spoiler:
Agreed, I thought the same about him nailing Albert in the book. I’m generally against those who say DKL shut Mark out of the process/went significantly off-book. But I really do have to wonder if DKL maybe neutered Albert’s dialogue on set because he found it didn’t gel with the mood he was going for.

I have to say, though, I find Mark’s approach to the other characters in TSH uneven. Pretty much EVERYONE has Albert-esque snarkiness to some degree, even Hawk and Major Briggs. It works for Albert, but I like it less as the sort of “house style.”
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
bowisneski wrote:I created an imgur album for those that might not be able to access the preview otherwise.
Thanks a lot, but I believe you forgot to upload the last page?
No problem. I know what a hassle it can be trying to switch iTunes stores. And on the preview, for me, the last page was blank. Don't know if it's an issue with the preview or my phone.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

bowisneski wrote: No problem. I know what a hassle it can be trying to switch iTunes stores. And on the preview, for me, the last page was blank. Don't know if it's an issue with the preview or my phone.
Ah ok, forget what I said then :wink:
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Spoiler:
I have to say, though, I find Mark’s approach to the other characters in TSH uneven. Pretty much EVERYONE has Albert-esque snarkiness to some degree, even Hawk and Major Briggs. It works for Albert, but I like it less as the sort of “house style.”
Spoiler:
Agree 100%. And all it does it make me wish that Albert had filled Tammy's role as the annotator/second archivist in both THE SECRET HISTORY and THE FINAL DOSSIER. Given that Tammy didn't have much to do in Season 3 (and Albert himself had so much screen time), I really don't understand why they needed to create this brand new character to document the tie-in books.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Spoiler:
My understanding is that Tammy's character predates the tie-in books.

As for Albert's snark, there's one big thing to consider imho: this is young Albert. Show Albert is a lot older. And age has a lot to do with the... energy it takes to be so damn extra all the time. I find the transition between '89 Albert and 2010s Albert very natural, and this magnificent, spot-on voice is imho a big hint that it was intended.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

Thank you! You totally made my day (yesterday)!

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Hopefully this makes up for the last book coming-off like well-researched fan-fiction.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

I would love more books.Its an interesting read though
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

dkenny78 wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
What are the discrepancies with the shock collar and cake crumbs? I thought those were nice touches.
Regarding earlier inconsistencies, Frost did say all will be revealed...

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Spoiler:
I sort of thought after the way The Return ended that FD might be a surprise and actually about the characters' lives in a reality where Laura wasn't murdered. I thought that might explain some of the differences in The Secret History versus the first two seasons of the show - the idea that the dossier was a compilation of two different realities merging, but that doesn't seem to be the case from reading the preview pages

- Not sure what to think of the Ben/Doc confrontation being retconned and happening after the bank explosion. And Doc Hayward moving to the other side of the country and leaving his daughters?

I loved TR and am excited about the FD, but they saved all of this for a book and not the show :?:. Not trying to be a hater before the book comes out in its entirety, but I'm scratching my head on that one.