'Twin Peaks: The Final Dossier' Novel by Mark Frost 10/31 (SPOILERS)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Re: Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by Poiuyt »

Tosker wrote:My initial reaction is that a lot more of this should have been covered in the show.
agreed 100%.
ganzuccio

Post by ganzuccio »

I've read it, it came fronm germany.

Splendid!!!!!!
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Nothing on Janey-E and Diane? For characters that got a lot of screen time in the return, you'd think we might get some backstory on them, but I guess not.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Nothing on Janey-E and Diane? For characters that got a lot of screen time in the return, you'd think we might get some backstory on them, but I guess not.
That's why I say this book feels like it was put together by a longtime TP fan who's been alienated by Season 3 and just wants to give proper due to the beloved original characters. Which is fine and dandy with me, I just wish I didn't have to receive my long-coveted return to Twin Peaks in a book form.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Final Dossier Spoilers

Post by Rik Renault »

chromereflectsimage wrote:Nothing on Janey-E and Diane? For characters that got a lot of screen time in the return, you'd think we might get some backstory on them, but I guess not.
I think the book deals mostly with the gap between S2 and S3 though, so this is to be expected.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

As far as I know everything in TFD is from Tammy's perspective. This can never reveal when/why/how Cooper visited the Giant/???????/Fireman, can never reveal any detailed information about our beloved Major Briggs - why/how/when Dougie's ring came in his stomach - , and can never explain ... etc, etc. In Diane's word "Fuck you, Tammy." In my own words "In Lynch I trust."
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

this Reddit post is pretty intriguing, can someone brighter than me poke holes in it to see if it holds up? Spoilers are openly discussed: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... art_18_to/
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Pinky wrote:this Reddit post is pretty intriguing, can someone brighter than me poke holes in it to see if it holds up? Spoilers are openly discussed: https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/comm ... art_18_to/
I think I need to do a rewatch of TR with this new information to fully flesh out any ideas I have, but I do remember back in one of the part discussions I commented that The Red Room appeared to split – through visual effects – and MIKE states that something is wrong. I'm convinced now that this is the point where the two timelines diverge. I'll need a full rewatch to see if these two Coopers can be marked by their FBI pin, but my worry is that we're getting into Christopher Nolan territory with that. I think it also ties in nicely with Frost's comments at the Austin Film Festival about Jungian ideas of duality and Cooper not fully incorporating his shadow self.

I have to say I'm really enjoying the ideas I and other people seem to be having with the new information from Frost. A lot of the hardcore gang seemed to be of the idea that any closure or revealing of the mystery negates the more thematic elements of the show but, in my view, it has crystallised the themes and brought them into a sharper focus to be explored.
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member

Post by powerleftist »

True Fans before the final dossier: "I'm OK with not having answers"

True Fans after the final dossier: "Oh, WOW, that is extremely interesting! Cool!"
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

True cinema buffs do not need any book and they remain focused in finding convincing answers within the 18 hours lasting audio-visual limitation.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Xavi wrote:True cinema buffs do not need any book and they remain focused in finding convincing answers within the 18 hours lasting audio-visual limitation.
The book is part of the canon - both the show itself and the book are all part of Twin Peaks. Mark Frost is a big part of it all, I don't understand what your problem is.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Xavi wrote:True cinema buffs do not need any book and they remain focused in finding convincing answers within the 18 hours lasting audio-visual limitation.
Oh, come off it. Plenty of us are cinephiles. Twin Peaks has a lot of ancillary merchandising that contributes to the larger tapestry - the Secret Diary was integral to Sheryl Lee's performance and Laura's narrative in FWWM. We can walk and chew gum at the same time.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

powerleftist wrote:

True Fans before the final dossier: "I'm OK with not having answers"

True Fans after the final dossier: "Oh, WOW, that is extremely interesting! Cool!"

I don't get your approach. There are people who can appreciate, or discern, the two works as being seperate things. It may be 'canon', whatever that even means at this point, but some people will see The Final Dossier as being as vital and important as The Return itself, and there are some who won't. That's fine, it's not all mutually exclusive. These are only one creator's ideas, you can take them as seriously as you choose. You can find how Frost sees the story, and where he takes it interesting, without feeling the need to have everything answered. "True Fan" pokes are tired.

Personally, I enjoyed The Return, the messy heap that it was. Finding my own answers has been fun. I'm not really invested in The Final Dossier, or Frost's answers. I don't really like how he's closed Annie's story, I think it's unsubtle and a bit sickly-poignant. I get the irony involved, but I understand why anyone would be curious about what Frost has to say, regardless of how little some really want to be told. If it's a story told well, then why not?
N. Needleman wrote:
We can walk and chew gum at the same time.
This.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

Can anybody recall in this series a character specifically mentioning the *death* of Laura Palmer? I want to save my rewatch until after I've finished TFD myself, but I'm wondering if there's anything in the idea that the Twin Peaks we mostly see in The Return is from the timeline where Laura just disappeared?

EDIT: Already found something:
Ben Horne: [holding a room key] Room 315. Wait a minute. I think that was the room where Agent Cooper was shot.
Beverly Paige: Who's Agent Cooper?
Ben Horne: FBI. He was here, I don't know, maybe 25 years ago investigating the murder of Laura Palmer.
Beverly Paige: Who's Laura Palmer?
Ben Horne: Oh, that, my dear, is a long story.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Rik Renault wrote:Can anybody recall in this series a character specifically mentioning the *death* of Laura Palmer? I want to save my rewatch until after I've finished TFD myself, but I'm wondering if there's anything in the idea that the Twin Peaks we mostly see in The Return is from the timeline where Laura just disappeared?

EDIT: Already found something:
Ben Horne: [holding a room key] Room 315. Wait a minute. I think that was the room where Agent Cooper was shot.
Beverly Paige: Who's Agent Cooper?
Ben Horne: FBI. He was here, I don't know, maybe 25 years ago investigating the murder of Laura Palmer.
Beverly Paige: Who's Laura Palmer?
Ben Horne: Oh, that, my dear, is a long story.

TPS03E07
[Truman] Laura never met Cooper.
[Truman] He came here after she died, didn't he?