What Did Laura Whisper?

Moderators: Jerry Horne, Brad D, Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross

User avatar
asmahan
RR Diner Member
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by asmahan »

The first thing she says is definitely "whisper," or am I crazy?
I don't feel like Lynch would give any actors the answer to such a mystery.
claaa7
Great Northern Member
Posts: 715
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:47 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by claaa7 »

asmahan wrote:The first thing she says is definitely "whisper," or am I crazy?
I don't feel like Lynch would give any actors the answer to such a mystery.
the word Whisper is there, but it seems to come from a man's voice (Lynch?)
User avatar
dreamshake
RR Diner Member
Posts: 125
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by dreamshake »

PsychoFox wrote:
mine wrote:
PsychoFox wrote: For me, Laura told Cooper "I can't be saved".
It seems like a way longer sentence.
Yes, I agree.
I meant a sentence of this kind.
maybe "you can't save me. my father killed me." that would throw cooper for a loop.
User avatar
DoppelBocker
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 95
Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:14 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by DoppelBocker »

Life is but a dream with multiple variations of possibility that is finite and linear remaining unchanged. Alternate possibilities surrounding a given even can't be assessed while on the earthly plane. They no longer merely reside in a physical realm anymore so aren't bound by Time. Therefore, at this stage she tells Coop he can keep dreaming looking to create multiple timelines off of a single event but in the end he is just an observer dreaming within certain confines that can't be changed. She tells him her soul has traveled on and wishes him to do so as well. She tells him where to meet her and is promptly torn away before revealing anything more.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by LateReg »

Novalis wrote:
Panapaok wrote:Cooper's horrified reaction is very specific and different from his reaction in the first season. It feels like a foreshadowing of the ending for me.
Yes, I think it's important to compare this scene with its counterpart from 25 years ago. In the first version, Cooper explains, Laura whispered the name of her killer into his ear -- a name he forgets upon waking. The fact that he forgets the name, and it remains within the dream, is something that I've always seen as pivotal.

To be in that situation again (or is it again? past or future?) and to be shown as horrified by what Laura says perhaps tells us something about why he forgets the name. Maybe it isn't so much forgotten as repressed (which amounts to the same) because of what it would imply about him, or the consequences of his actions. It's possible to see the same kind of bootstrap paradox at work here as the one we have in LH; Fred whispering 'Dick Laurent is dead' into the intercom is very much like Laura whispering into Cooper's ear, only we the audience aren't given the content. I don't actually think we need it; it's a floating signifier, and its only importance is that it initiates a series of actions that culminate in returning to the same place again, but on another level. We can speculate that Laura whispers 'well, actually, Dale Cooper, you killed me, and you did so precisely by trying to prevent my death' or something along those lines but it really makes no difference what was actually scripted, and might never, ever, be revealed to us.
Can you elaborate on this further? At the very least, what are you referring to when you say that Dale killed her by trying to prevent her death? Are you referring to him telling her not to take the ring? Or something from the new series, at which point she was already dead?
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:41 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by Rik Renault »

LateReg wrote:Can you elaborate on this further? At the very least, what are you referring to when you say that Dale killed her by trying to prevent her death? Are you referring to him telling her not to take the ring? Or something from the new series, at which point she was already dead?
This wasn't directed at me, but I inferred from the comment that Dale didn't as such 'kill' her but prevented her salvation that we witnessed in FWWM with his hubristic time-meddling. I am taking Frost's comments at the Austin Film Festival as further evidence for this idea.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by IcedOver »

Who knows what she whispered? It's obviously important and maybe not the most pleasant information, but beyond that, it's not necessary to wonder about any actual content too much. I doubt Lynch gave it any thought. It reminds me of the '80s "Twilight Zone" episode "Need to Know" (also directed by a Lynch -- Paul) which scared me when I was younger. People are going crazy because information whispered in the ear is going around a small town. One character describes it as the answer to everything -- God, Devil, etc. It's too much to handle, so the people go bonkers.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
User avatar
TheAlien
RR Diner Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: Mind

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by TheAlien »

"I'm in the radiator"
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
User avatar
powerleftist
Roadhouse Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:40 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by powerleftist »

"My mother is Judy"
User avatar
TheAlien
RR Diner Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:01 pm
Location: Mind

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by TheAlien »

"There's no place like home"



"You left your stove on, you should know by now that it could cause a fire hazard"



"I am Laura Palmer, and I sound like this"



"You should stand up sometimes, sitting down for long periods of time can cause back problems"
For I am I: ergo, the truth of myself; my own sphinx, conflict, chaos, vortex—asymmetric to all rhythms, oblique to all paths. I am the prism between black and white: mine own unison in duality.
― Austin Osman Spare
User avatar
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member
Posts: 246
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:03 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by chromereflectsimage »

The best theory I've read was that Laura whispers the same thing she did in the original show 'My father killed me' because Cooper is still stuck in a loop. He's shocked at the end because he thought he changed the past with her being killed, but he really didn't.
Last edited by chromereflectsimage on Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member
Posts: 1286
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 5:19 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by LateReg »

chromereflectsimage wrote:The best theory I've read was that Laura whispers the same thing she did in the original show 'My father is dead' because Cooper is still stuck in a loop. He's shocked at the end because he thought he changed the past with her being killed, but he really didn't.
My father killed me...I like that a lot!
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:31 am

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by Rami Airola »

"David Lynch showed me his penis."
And then she describes what she saw in a very detailed manner.
interpolcheeze
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:18 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by interpolcheeze »

You're Laura Palmer.
User avatar
Gabriel
Great Northern Member
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 12:53 pm

Re: What Did Laura Whisper?

Post by Gabriel »

‘I don’t know what the hell this series is about either, so just roll with it and think about the money!!’
Post Reply