Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

talent103

Re: Twin Peaks Return: The Profoundly Satisfied Support Group (SPOILERS)

Post by talent103 »

so I loved season 3. Just finished watching the Blu Ray set. 3rd time watching season 3. I love it more each time. I really LOVED the 6 hours of extras. Now that I am done I am a bit disappointed that it is over. Happy that we got a chance to experience it but sad that all the fun is over. However we can count our blessings. 2 books by mark frost. 18 hours by David Lynch. New sound tracks by Angelo and the bands. 6 hours of behind the scenes footage. and the Missing pieces in 2014. Our dreams came true.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Agent Earle wrote:And, yeah, the TP interest across the board is definitely winding down.
Oh, dude. Dugpa has been here long before either of us began posting and will likely be here long after. It ebbs and flows with activity. But as for the outside world, as other people have noted since your post, it definitely hasn't been forgotten or dismissed.

It may validate you or some people like you emotionally to act like Twin Peaks and its fandom have been annihilated by Season 3 - that that would somehow give you justice and closure for your feelings of disappointment and betrayal, that you would be heard by way of righteous fanbase/pop cultural auto-destruction. Unfortunately, again as others have pointed out, the exact opposite is demonstrably true.

The show - and I mean its whole totality, not just Seasons 1 or 2, not just Season 3, not just FWWM, but all of it - is, in 2018, probably more powerful and validated as legend in the public consciousness than it ever was before. And unlike much of the 90s and early 2000s, it is no longer considered just a flash in the pan with a bad movie by most American critics; the movie was cheered at Cannes last year, and the new show is on a ton of best of the year lists by all those same critics. Times have changed. Twin Peaks is still immortal.

Whether someone liked Season 3 or not, you can't deny TP has only risen in estimation. You can accept that despite disliking the direction it took or you can stay angry. Either way, shit ain't gonna change. The fandom and the pop cultural imprint will be here forever.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

talent103 wrote:so I loved season 3. Just finished watching the Blu Ray set. 3rd time watching season 3. I love it more each time. I really LOVED the 6 hours of extras. Now that I am done I am a bit disappointed that it is over. Happy that we got a chance to experience it but sad that all the fun is over. However we can count our blessings. 2 books by mark frost. 18 hours by David Lynch. New sound tracks by Angelo and the bands. 6 hours of behind the scenes footage. and the Missing pieces in 2014. Our dreams came true.
Don't forget the Dean Hurley Bandcamp album with atmospherics from the show. :D

It's funny... at the start of the decade I didn't think we'd get to see the deleted scenes from FWWM.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

Kilmoore wrote:
MasterMastermind wrote:Excuse me, this is the Twin Peaks: The Return Profoundly Satisfied Support Group, thank you very much! :evil:
Yeah I figured some one would end up calling me out on this.

I was thinking maybe there should have been a thread specifically for the disappointed and satisfied exchanging views, but seems the conversation is already dying down. Looks like TP:TR didn't hold that many people's attention for very long, it might be too late for a thread like that now.
fwiw I was definitely joking. I have no issue with anyone talking about how much they liked or didn't like the show in any thread, so long as they aren't disrespectful or engaging in bad faith.

There's still quite a lot of great discussion going on over at reddit at least, and it's fun to see the Twin Peaks subreddit isn't at all toxic from what I've seen. There are some great sites like 25 Years Later and Twin Peaks Decoded as well.

Also I just picked up the blu-ray and I'm gonna start it over tonight!
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

The real Dougie had a numb arm, and he crawled to the bathroom, that was occupied by Jade, so he continued into an adjacent room, where he barfed and ... died?

The not so real Dougie, that is the half-born/half-sleep Cooper living his life as Dougie, played a bit with the egg-plant shaped pepper and salt containers near the mushroom-lamp, while eating yet another chocolate cake, before his attention was caught by the TV-remote-control. He pushed some buttons, and managed to switch on the TV-screen, where he jumped into a fragment of Sunset Blvd. The name Gordon Cole triggered something, as he got down to his knees and crawled to the wall-socket. He poked his fork inside, a scream and the lights were killed. But, he didn't barf, did he?

In the Roadhouse an innocent girl got thrown out of her booth and was dropped down on her knees as she continued to crawl between human legs, while her scream coincided with the performing band.

Mr C drove his car through the dessert, while he was fighting against sleep. He crashed, saw the Red Curtains and ... Dougie. The Waiting Room indeed is a place where the living meet the dead. Anyway, Mr C survived the crash, albeit became sick and barfed. Was BOB fed up? Was the amount of Garmonbozia too much for him, or was Mr C just "carsick?"

Gordon Cole thought he heard Albert say "Cossack."

The fed-up lady during the shooting incident near the Double RR, was heading home with a kid that was carsick?

Now, the 6 million dollar question is "Is there a connection?"
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

I see not evidence for Dougie dying after barfing up the Garmonbozia. As you point out, Mr.C eventually does the same thing and also passes out. He seems a bit weird the next time we see him (in the jail cell), but he doesn't seem dead - and there are no woodsmen dancing around doing Shaman rituals either.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

eyeboogers wrote:I see not evidence for Dougie dying after barfing up the Garmonbozia. As you point out, Mr.C eventually does the same thing and also passes out. He seems a bit weird the next time we see him (in the jail cell), but he doesn't seem dead - and there are no woodsmen dancing around doing Shaman rituals either.
it definitely seemed to me like the visuals and editing was saying that if Mister C had thrown up all that Garmonbozia before he saw that the Dougie tulpa (that was manufactured for a purpose) was in the Red Room he would have been the one to go back in. i think Mister C is preparing for this when we see him in the restaurant with Ray, Daria and Jack as he seems to be eating a bowl of corn while talking about having to go and be on his own for a little while.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

eyeboogers wrote:I see not evidence for Dougie dying after barfing up the Garmonbozia. As you point out, Mr.C eventually does the same thing and also passes out. He seems a bit weird the next time we see him (in the jail cell), but he doesn't seem dead - and there are no woodsmen dancing around doing Shaman rituals either.
For sure after Dougie dumped his vomit on the floor, and next he appeared in the Waiting Room. As a matter of fact ... the same thing happened to him as to Diane-tulpa. If you don't call this dead and gone then I would like to read some arguments.

BTW I never wrote that Mr C died by that car-accident, did I?
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Xavi wrote:
For sure after Dougie dumped his vomit on the floor, and next he appeared in the Waiting Room. As a matter of fact ... the same thing happened to him as to Diane-tulpa. If you don't call this dead and gone then I would like to read some arguments.

BTW I never wrote that Mr C died by that car-accident, did I?
Lynch called the car a metaphor for the body, so it wouldn't surprise me if that was what it was implying. I definitely think there is something to the theories of Cooper being inbetween lives or a Bardo type thing.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

According to Audrey "sometime dreams hearken a truth" and inline with this I would like to add this paradox "the beginning of TPS3 was not the beginning of TPS3." I have this gut-feeling that understanding the "when, why and how" of Cooper meeting the Giant also would imply a major step in understanding the whole TPS3-mystery.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Xavi wrote:According to Audrey "sometime dreams hearken a truth" and inline with this I would like to add this paradox "the beginning of TPS3 was not the beginning of TPS3." I have this gut-feeling that understanding the "when, why and how" of Cooper meeting the Giant also would imply a major step in understanding the whole TPS3-mystery.
Xavi, I really love your posts!

I am not quite making the link between 'dreams hearkening a truth' and the nature of the timeline though?
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

So, here we are - almost 6 months after season 3 ended.
I still haven't rewatched the show(Blue-Ray not arriving before the end of the month).
The 2.5 years of waiting between Oct 14 and May 17 was an exceptional time - it was unreal - and after watching the teasers I had my hopes turned up to the max:
The Hawk teaser: "...Sometimes a location becomes a character..."
The Angelo B teaser giving hope for more fantastic music.
The biggest nostalgica trip ever in history was about to start and.....:
it was all so..... different.....
I didn't know what to think of it - still doesn't.
Angelo's music was missing and the town wasn't the character it used to be.
As the days, week and months have gone by since Sept 3rd, season 1,2 and FWWM almost stand stronger than ever after season 3.
Not that I didn't like season 3 - there were some fantastic moments and I'm sure it will grow on me(as all Lynch' work needs) - it just was so far away from what I expected.
Sitting here now, I remember what an incredible journey S3 was - waiting all week for next episode - watching the episodes in a zombie-like state 3-4 a.m. every Monday and in every episode hoping it would just keep going forever. It was definitly by far the best TV-experience I've had for 25+ years and I wouldn't give it away for anything.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

chalfont wrote:So, here we are - almost 6 months after season 3 ended.
I still haven't rewatched the show(Blue-Ray not arriving before the end of the month).
The 2.5 years of waiting between Oct 14 and May 17 was an exceptional time - it was unreal - and after watching the teasers I had my hopes turned up to the max:
The Hawk teaser: "...Sometimes a location becomes a character..."
The Angelo B teaser giving hope for more fantastic music.
The biggest nostalgica trip ever in history was about to start and.....:
it was all so..... different.....
I didn't know what to think of it - still doesn't.
Angelo's music was missing and the town wasn't the character it used to be.
As the days, week and months have gone by since Sept 3rd, season 1,2 and FWWM almost stand stronger than ever after season 3.
Not that I didn't like season 3 - there were some fantastic moments and I'm sure it will grow on me(as all Lynch' work needs) - it just was so far away from what I expected.
Sitting here now, I remember what an incredible journey S3 was - waiting all week for next episode - watching the episodes in a zombie-like state 3-4 a.m. every Monday and in every episode hoping it would just keep going forever. It was definitly by far the best TV-experience I've had for 25+ years and I wouldn't give it away for anything.
Well to each his own, and I don't blame any old for not liking The Return even though I loved it myself, as it is very different in tone, style, etc. than the original series, but...

I think we need to lay to rest the myth that blew up in the first few episodes about 'missing Angelo' music. In fact, there were a number of terrific new Badalamenti compositions, a few of which are now amongst my favorites in the Twin Peaks world. We have the Accident/Farewell theme, The Chair, The Fireman and Dark Space Low all are absolutely divine new musical pieces by Angelo.

I was a little disappointed we did not get a new arrangement of the Laura Theme like we got in the teaser. My guess is that Lynch thought the old arrangement was the best fit for the story. Maybe someday we'll get downloads of any compositions/arrangements that did not make it into the final cut.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Calling it a myth is taking it a bit far, compared to the amount of material Angelo provided for the show and FWWM his contributions to The Return were certainly minimal. I adore Dark Space Low, would have loved for there to be more. I am sure there are good reasons for why he wasn't able to.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

The new Badalamenti material, great as it is, is also a lot more minimalist than his work on FWWM & the original run. I think all the new pieces are Angelo solo compared to the band performances on the earlier soundtracks.