Season 3, The First Draft - Speculation etc.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 3, The First Draft - Speculation etc.

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Well, if we're going that far back to before the 18-order it could be anything. In the 18, no, that wasn't the case. But I guess I'll have to pore over that 40 minute long interview to see exactly what she says. Unless you feel like timestamping it.
The portion Krishnanspace is quoting is around the 21:00 mark. I think he’s maybe extrapolating more meaning from it than is there, though. Sabrina is talking about initially reading the original two-episode “pilot” script. She’s essentially saying how shocked she was at how little there was in the town of Twin Peaks in those scripts and how different the Naido scene was from the original run of S1/S2. She doesn’t actually say that there was more of Naido than in the final version, although she stumbles on her words a bit and I can see where Krishnan got that impression. Everything she says is consistent with the final episodes as aired.

Much more interestingly, this longer version of the interview shows the audience Q&A, where Sabrina does indeed say that LFB would have been Donna, but she turned them down (at the 51:15 timestamp): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OPc3CU1nEB4
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon May 14, 2018 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Oh yes, I remember all this now and I remember that bit myself. Yeah, krishna, what you describe is not at all what Sabrina says.

I also remember what she said about Lara and I think it's a polite fiction to be politic about the actress. I don't believe Donna was ever in the scripts. I think at best they gave her a courtesy call knowing what her response would be.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I also remember what she said about Lara and I think it's a polite fiction to be politic about the actress. I don't believe Donna was ever in the scripts. I think at best they gave her a courtesy call knowing what her response would be.
I don’t know why they’d bother making up some weird fiction to protect her delicate ego, given that there hasn’t been any relationship to speak of between LFB and TP in decades. It would be much easier to say there simply wasn’t a place for her in the story, which feels like the more traditionally politic answer, rather than making her look disagreeable/difficult (a portion of the fan base still hasn’t forgiven her for forcing script changes on the OLD show...telling us that she messed with their plans for the new show too isn’t necessarily the best look). The evidence, while certainly not overwhelming, seems to favor the inference that L/F had a role for her in mind (whether or not it actually reached the script phase). DKL, when asked why Donna wasn’t in the show, referenced the public obsession with “strange Hollywood side stories” and suggested that the interviewer talk to LFB (http://tvline.com/2017/05/19/twin-peaks ... vid-lynch/). And earlier in the UK Fest interview, Sabrina discusses how it was important to L/F to show that not everyone would have stayed in the town of Twin Peaks after 25 years...yet this is a concept we didn’t actually see in the finished show, where everyone seemingly DID stay (the odd trip to Bora Bora notwithstanding). I know I’m jumping to conclusions, but this fits with the story we saw for Donna in TFD. Just as Audrey’s hair salon storyline ended up in TFD, I really do suspect that Donna’s chapter in TFD arose from at least casual conversations L/F had on how Donna/LFB might be used in the show.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon May 14, 2018 9:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:I don't think any of it was ever written for Donna.
Don't think so either. Season 2 left us with Donna departing the town.
Did it?! It ended with her being a dramatic teenager and threatening to move out, but that’s a far cry from her actually leaving. Her storyline could have gone almost anywhere after Episode 29.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I don’t know why they’d bother making up some weird fiction to protect her delicate ego, given that there hasn’t been any relationship to speak of between LFB and TP in decades.
I think saying she was asked and declined allows them to make her sound a little better given that her difficult life and hard times are no secret, at least in the US. I don't think their response as is made her sound disagreeable. It made her sound like she still had a career, even though her career is presently nonexistent and she's been in the tabloids lately.
I really do suspect that Donna’s chapter in TFD arose from at least casual conversations L/F had on how Donna/LFB might be used in the show.
That is entirely possible. But I don't think she was ever in the script.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Actually,even I hadn't watched the video.I had just read the comments from that Reddit post :)
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Henrys Hair wrote:I have a feeling the only Audrey scene in the original script is the confrontation with Richard.
I highly doubt they only offered Audrey one scene. Obviously I don't know for sure, but I can't see it.

If I had to guess, I suspect Audrey's original scenes were, let's say, too much like Shelly's scenes in the new season. Meaning Shelly didn't particularly have her own thing going on; she was focused on her daughter, Becky. There were a couple little "at the diner" scenes, but mostly everything in the scenes was Shelly worrying about her daughter or dealing with her daughter's problems. I suspect Audrey's scenes were similar, but with her son, Richard.

Madchen has often made public comments indicating she's happy to work with David no matter what (see her tiny part in FWWM, and her comments in the Secrets From Another Place documentary about how she was just happy to be present for the Rolling Stone photo shoot -- "just stick me in the background, I'm just happy to be there.") Conversely, Sherilyn is not shy about her desire for more prominence and scenes. This was evident during a Q&A when Michael Horse said he would be happy to have simply had a little cameo on the new series, to which Sherilyn responded, "Well I definitely wanted more than a cameo" and sort of rolled her eyes. Until we hear otherwise, my guess is that she wanted scenes that dealt with Audrey's feelings, life, spirit, turmoil, etc. and was not happy to be one part of a large canvas where the issues in her scenes were basically to respond to her violent, dirtbag kid.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

she had more than one scene. I think they all had roughly the same amount - Shelly, Bobby, James, Audrey.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I would love to have had more of Audrey, I think it was unfinished, and I think that's one issue almost all of us can agree on even if we find the value of her actual onscreen material contentious. The thing I hope we can agree on is that regardless of its fragmentary nature, her scenes in Season 3 left Audrey far more central to the underpinning mythos of Twin Peaks than she was at the end of Season 2 - that made me very happy. She bore Cooper's child, she is lost in a mysterious netherworld. Whether or not there is another round of story, a lot of people will be talking about Audrey vs. other characters for years to come - what happened to her, what did it all mean, etc. And she has an unforgettable final scene. That's more than she got from the bank vault.

I will add that the stuff with Sherilyn and Lynch on the Blu-Ray was very sweet.
Last edited by N. Needleman on Tue May 15, 2018 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

krishnanspace wrote:Actually,even I hadn't watched the video.I had just read the comments from that Reddit post :)
Well, if you'd actually watched it maybe then you could've argued the point instead of claiming I was wrong. :P But bygones.
Tony Franciosa

Post by Tony Franciosa »

If MJA had participated, it might have deprived us of The Evolution of the Arm and I'm not sure I'd make that trade now.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:I think saying she was asked and declined allows them to make her sound a little better given that her difficult life and hard times are no secret, at least in the US. I don't think their response as is made her sound disagreeable. It made her sound like she still had a career, even though her career is presently nonexistent and she's been in the tabloids lately.
Perhaps. That seems a bit elaborate to me, and I don’t think DKL would shy from casting someone because her career was on the rocks. On the contrary, he has a history of casting washed-up/“troubled” actors (Dennis Hopper’s comeback in BV being the quintessential example), and of course many of the returning cast members in S3 hadn’t acted in years. If anything, I think he would relish the chance to allow LFB to confront her career trajectory and personal image in an interesting, personal way, just as Catherine Coulson’s illness (for instance) became a poignant character point instead of a liability (as it might have been in the hands of a lesser artist). And if that was indeed the plan, it certainly makes sense to me that LFB might not have taken particularly favorably to that pitch. Who knows, though. All we can do is conjecture based on the meager facts we have.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Lara has spurned the show more than once, and they dealt with it. I just don't think they were dying to include her.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Lara has spurned the show more than once, and they dealt with it. I just don't think they were dying to include her.
I know, and I was a little surprised to hear they contacted her...but having heard that they did, I don’t see any reason to believe it wasn’t a good faith effort to include her in the show. I think it takes a lot for DKL to hold a grudge against an actor. Fenn has been equally difficult as LFB in her own way (they hired her for S3 — and rewrote the script to make her happy — after she repeatedly and publicly accused the production of sexism), and DKL loves Kyle now after seeming miffed back in the day at Kyle forcing them to rewrite FWWM. In fact, it would seem almost irrational for DKL to hold a 19-year-old’s behavior against her 25 years later.

But again, who knows. What I’d REALLY love to know is why Piper Laurie wasn’t in the show.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

This is obviously only speculation... but I think the bible treatment the two wrote mostly dealt with Cooper and Mr. C’s arc, along with Diane, Cole and Labert, and Janey E and Audrey’s son. With an idea of who would most likely come on board and shake it accordingly.

I do think they reached out to Boyle, and believed they reached out to most of the actors to first see if they wanted to come on board and that the pay would not be much and their shooting schedule would probably only be a few weeks tops for all of them. But I don’t know if she ever went in and read the pages they wrote, or if it never got that far and they never had to write anything for the character. From what I was told, once an actor said they were in, they came into an office and were given just their pages to read privately and asked how they liked it.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?