Why so little of Grace Zabriskie?

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

missoulamt

Why so little of Grace Zabriskie?

Postby missoulamt » Wed May 16, 2018 10:44 am

Zabriskie turned in the most chilling/horrifying performance among the characters in S3. So, why use her so little?

A let down on the same level as almost leaving Ray Wise out completely.
Kilmoore

Re: Why so little of Grace Zabriskie?

Postby Kilmoore » Wed May 16, 2018 10:45 am

Well... I suppose this is more a topic for the disappointed thread, but since you asked: S3 was Twin Peaks in name only. Lynch and Frost didn't have story to tell with Sarah Palmer so they didn't. Same with Leland. They just didn't. And won't.
LateReg

Postby LateReg » Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 am

Kilmoore wrote:Well... I suppose this is more a topic for the disappointed thread, but since you asked: S3 was Twin Peaks in name only. Lynch and Frost didn't have story to tell with Sarah Palmer so they didn't. Same with Leland. They just didn't. And won't.

It seems to me that they had a huge story to tell with Sarah. She's practically the centerpiece of it all. But they decided to give us only fragments of that story.
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Wed May 16, 2018 3:17 pm

She was one of my favorite parts of the new show, and I feel we got just enough. Depending on the day you ask me, I might even feel that we got a BIT too much, with the murder in the bar. Bit I think this was definitely a case of L/F surgically deciding how much to show vs. leaving it to the viewers’ imagination.
baxter

Postby baxter » Wed May 16, 2018 6:26 pm

The more I dwell on it, the more I think that a huge part of the aesthetic and feel of the show was driven by the decision to have such a large cast, and to therefore only spend a short period with each actor. That precluded a show where a smaller cast interacts regularly, which would generate a more cohesive feel.
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Wed May 16, 2018 9:38 pm

Just enough. Actually, it's essentially quite similar to Laura's screen time/importance ratio (excluding FWWM).
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Mr. Reindeer

Postby Mr. Reindeer » Thu May 17, 2018 2:55 am

Soolsma wrote:Just enough. Actually, it's essentially quite similar to Laura's screen time/importance ratio (excluding FWWM).

Also, Zabriskie was pretty criminally underused on the original show after the Pilot. What we got on the new show, while minimal, felt like a tactical deployment with clear artistic intent, as opposed to the original series seeming not to really be sure what to do with her.
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 am

I wonder if there would ever have been any Sarah/Judy or a likewise plot would the series have continued in the 90s. Though she was always on the spiritual side, it's really hard to imagine the warm yet broken Sarah from the originals hosting a prime evil like Judy. Actually, due to the huge contrast of original Sarah/The return, up until Frost confirmed she was really the new Mexico girl, I was pretty certain she was only recently infected with help from a couple of woodsmen in between the supermarket scene and Hawk coming by her house. ("Men are coming!')
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Soolsma

Postby Soolsma » Thu May 17, 2018 6:19 am

But that could still maybe be true, the frogmoth being more of a seed and Judy like a plant. This notion would also fit the glass box snuggly in to the equation.
Poiuyt

Postby Poiuyt » Thu May 17, 2018 6:50 am

I thought there was just enough of her. The scenes she was in I thought were creepy and memorable, and she never overstayed her welcome (although I'm still not 100% sold on the bar scene, that has more to do with the writing than her acting, which was superb as always).
yaxomoxay

Postby yaxomoxay » Wed May 23, 2018 12:24 pm

missoulamt wrote:Zabriskie turned in the most chilling/horrifying performance among the characters in S3. So, why use her so little?

A let down on the same level as almost leaving Ray Wise out completely.

The more you spend time with a character - even an evil one - the more familiar you are with him/her. The more familiar, the less uncomfortable you are. We see Sarah so little, and in such upsetting scenes that it is impossible to familiarize with her DESPITE knowing her background from S1 and S2. If you ask me, it’s great that I don’t know more about her given Z’s incredible performance of a disturbing character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Season 3 (2017) The Return (Spoilers)”