How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheLodger1980

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by TheLodger1980 »

I want to know the identify of the Dweller on the Threshold (?) that appeared with the UFO in Season 2.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

TheLodger1980 wrote:I want to know the identify of the Dweller on the Threshold (?) that appeared with the UFO in Season 2.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The Dweller on the Threshold is generally considered to be the shadow self someone encounters in the black lodge (possibly a doppelgänger). But I guess what you mean is this guy? When major Briggs disappeared.

Now, what I think would be pretty cool is another time traveling throwback to this moment. We could for instance have a cloaked Cooper, looking down on the scene when the major disappears. This is probably highly unlikely to happen. Neither Frost nor Lynch penned that episode and I'm not sure it has their interest.

Would a S4 happen, I'm pretty sure they would want to incorporate at least some throwbacks to the originals, since they obviously like to keep things intertwined all the way throughout. A list of people, places and things from the originals that remained (mostly) untouched during S3 which could be elaborated on in a possible S4:
-Dugpas
-Tremonds
-Garmonbozia
-Bookhouse boys
-Owls owls owls!
-Door painting
-Jumping man
-Owl cave + map
-Josie
-Annie!!!
-Leland
-Catherine
-Ronette
-One eyed Jack's
-Deer Meadow
-Earle (highly unlikely and if you ask me, no thanks.)

Anyone know any more?
Last edited by Soolsma on Wed May 30, 2018 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Soolsma wrote: Would a S4 happen, I'm pretty sure they would want to incorporate at least some throwbacks to the originals, since they obviously like to keep things intertwined all the way throughout. A list of people, places and things from the originals that remained (mostly) untouched during S3 which could be elaborated on in a possible S4:
-Dugpas
-Tremonds
-Garmonbozia
-Bookhouse boys
-Owls owls owls!
-Door painting
-Jumping man
-Owl cave + map
-Josie
-Annie!!!
-Leland
-Catherine
-Ronette
-One eyed Jack's
-Deer Meadow

Anyone know
YES, PLEASE! Pertaining to your last item on the list, of course. With the risk of sounding like a broken record, but the following question baffles me to no end: how can you focus on Cooper as the main protagonist and detail his inner and outward journey without at least touching upon the one person who was crucial for Cooper's fate (that goes for Cooper-related happenings in S3 and all the Dougie nonsense as well!) and his development into the man we got to know during the original show?! In this context, Earle was at least as important for our hero as Laura Palmer, Annie, Twin Peaks in general, the Lodges etc. - someone like Audrey, for instance, doesn't hold a candle to him when it comes to narrative importance.
Well, obviously I shaped my question wrongly, because Lynch & Frost can do whatever the hell they want, not giving a hang about such things as storytelling logic, sense of continuity and narrative coherence, as they so brilliantly demonstrated with S3 (and with tie-in books, to some extent), obviously, and a large percentage of fans wouldn't have even the tiniest bit of problem with it.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:
TheLodger1980 wrote:I want to know the identify of the Dweller on the Threshold (?) that appeared with the UFO in Season 2.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. The Dweller on the Threshold is generally considered to be the shadow self someone encounters in the black lodge (possibly a doppelgänger). But I guess what you mean is this guy? When major Briggs disappeared.

Now, what I think would be pretty cool is another time traveling throwback to this moment. We could for instance have a cloaked Cooper, looking down on the scene when the major disappears. This is probably highly unlikely to happen. Neither Frost nor Lynch penned that episode and I'm not sure it has their interest.

Would a S4 happen, I'm pretty sure they would want to incorporate at least some throwbacks to the originals, since they obviously like to keep things intertwined all the way throughout. A list of people, places and things from the originals that remained (mostly) untouched during S3 which could be elaborated on in a possible S4:
-Dugpas
-Tremonds
-Garmonbozia
-Bookhouse boys
-Owls owls owls!
-Door painting
-Jumping man
-Owl cave + map
-Josie
-Annie!!!
-Leland
-Catherine
-Ronette
-One eyed Jack's
-Deer Meadow

Anyone know
Also The Black Lodge and the White Lodge.
I just wish , none of the actors had passed away.Then,we would have had our dreamy Season 3.
Imagine BoB,Major Briggs,Philip Jeffries etc.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Even if a Season 4 were to air some day, the storyline wouldn't feel forced as they have lots of plot points from all the 3 seasons
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote:Even if a Season 4 were to air some day, the storyline wouldn't feel forced as they have lots of plot points from all the 3 seasons
To me the plot does not matter in terms of how natural a Twin Peaks continuation feels. Season 3 you could say has a 'forced' element to it, in coming back after 25 years to continue this story about Cooper and BOB and Laura. Although I think the way this season turned out, any further stories would be anything but forced as they can literally do anything they want now.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Henrys Hair
RR Diner Member

Post by Henrys Hair »

Soolsma wrote:

-Door painting

Anyone know any more?
Soolsma, I've a feeling I'm missing something incredibly obvious here, but what is the door painting? I'm kinda imagining this taking place as Season 4's equivalent of the gold shovel spraying & Roadhouse sweeping scenes.

On edit: this is the picture Mrs Tremond gives Laura in FWWM, isn't it?
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

-Door painting

Anyone know any more?
Soolsma, I've a feeling I'm missing something incredibly obvious here, but what is the door painting? I'm kinda imagining this taking place as Season 4's equivalent of the gold shovel spraying & Roadhouse sweeping scenes.

If they bring back the wall painting now, they have to find a new plot that is a deep mystery which ties the Laura case to something in the present day - bringing the FBI back into the town of Twin Peaks.

There is no way a further season would be at all like season 3 and that hazy and dream-like. I am certain that they know they need a very strong plotline this time. Something on a par with 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' The missing diary page must feature in that too!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Henrys Hair wrote:
Soolsma wrote:

-Door painting

Anyone know any more?

Yes it is that picture. But in fact it was sort of featured. Wallpaper look familiar? Credits to Jerry Horne for noticing.
painting-door.jpg
painting-door.jpg (142.71 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
convenience store.jpg
convenience store.jpg (44.71 KiB) Viewed 8629 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yep. Same place. I freaked out when they showed it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Hey everybody. I've been gone from here for a few months, but lurked occasionally. It's taken a long while to digest Season 3. To be honest, I'm still chewing. But I'm happy to be back. Back and ready!

I believe Lynch/Frost are writing Season 4 right now. The offer is there from Showtime, and I think Lynch/Frost will take it. It's just too good to pass up for an artist like Lynch. Free reign to make whatever art he wants with the people he loves.

The season is already perfectly set up, I think. An alternate timeline of Twin Peaks in which Laura Palmer was not murdered, but has been missing for decades. On that premise alone, the storyline possibilities seem endless to me.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

madeleineferguson wrote:Hey everybody. I've been gone from here for a few months, but lurked occasionally. It's taken a long while to digest Season 3. To be honest, I'm still chewing. But I'm happy to be back. Back and ready!

I believe Lynch/Frost are writing Season 4 right now. The offer is there from Showtime, and I think Lynch/Frost will take it. It's just too good to pass up for an artist like Lynch. Free reign to make whatever art he wants with the people he loves.

The season is already perfectly set up, I think. An alternate timeline of Twin Peaks in which Laura Palmer was not murdered, but has been missing for decades. On that premise alone, the storyline possibilities seem endless to me.
I'm sure they are.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

krishnanspace wrote:
madeleineferguson wrote:Hey everybody. I've been gone from here for a few months, but lurked occasionally. It's taken a long while to digest Season 3. To be honest, I'm still chewing. But I'm happy to be back. Back and ready!

I'm sure they are.
What endless possibilities?

I can't see them going with that idea for a new season but starting instead from a totally new standpoint.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:

I'm sure they are.
What endless possibilities?

I can't see them going with that idea for a new season but starting instead from a totally new standpoint.
There are soooo many storylines yet to completed,So many yet to explored.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I have the feeling that a new series would be set in the alternate reality that we ended up in at the end of S3, but this thread has made me question that. The ending was an obvious attempt to set up a new series in my opinion.

I can now see the series taking place across the two timelines/realities, following Tammy and Gordon in one (with probably an Albert replacement), and Cooper in the other. Which scenes take place in which world might not be obvious.

Then again, nothing at all that happened in S3 was something I predicted in advance, so I'm sure it would be totally different, and everyone would be doubly annoyed that plot threads were not picked up.