How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: How would Lynch/Frost tackle Season Four?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote:There is no way a further season would be at all like season 3 and that hazy and dream-like. I am certain that they know they need a very strong plotline this time. Something on a par with 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' The missing diary page must feature in that too!
If you believe a new season will become more plot-oriented and less dreamlike, I don’t think you’ve been paying attention to DKL’s evolution as an artist over the past two decades. I really think that if a new season is ever announced, you need to recalibrate your expectations to avoid disappointment.

I’m with you, though, in the sense that I just can’t see the show hitching its star to an “alternate timeline” approach. That just feels way too Lost S6 / Fringe. I’m sure L/F would put their own innovative spin on it, but in the abstract, I just can’t get excited about the idea of the show going in such a conventional genre direction at this point.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:There is no way a further season would be at all like season 3 and that hazy and dream-like. I am certain that they know they need a very strong plotline this time. Something on a par with 'Who Killed Laura Palmer?' The missing diary page must feature in that too!
If you believe a new season will become more plot-oriented and less dreamlike, I don’t think you’ve been paying attention to DKL’s evolution as an artist over the past two decades. I really think that if a new season is ever announced, you need to recalibrate your expectations to avoid disappointment.

I’m with you, though, in the sense that I just can’t see the show hitching its star to an “alternate timeline” approach. That just feels way too Lost S6 / Fringe. I’m sure L/F would put their own innovative spin on it, but in the abstract, I just can’t get excited about the idea of the show going in such a conventional genre direction at this point.
Yes I agree with you. I don't mean that the show would become ALL about the plot - was Twin Peaks ever like that anyway? I don't think so.

But season 3's plot seemed to me about asking what is real or unreal, loss of memory, loss of identity even. All I mean is that those sorts of things would need to be tied to a strong plot hook for a further story. I'd go more with the idea of Lynch never following any clear evolution anyway, he 'Swerves' (to use the title of Martha Nochimson's book - highly recommended!) - I mean, this is my view but INLAND EMPIRE has a more clear plot to me than Season 3.
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

NormoftheAndes wrote:Yes I agree with you. I don't mean that the show would become ALL about the plot - was Twin Peaks ever like that anyway? I don't think so.

But season 3's plot seemed to me about asking what is real or unreal, loss of memory, loss of identity even. All I mean is that those sorts of things would need to be tied to a strong plot hook for a further story. I'd go more with the idea of Lynch never following any clear evolution anyway, he 'Swerves' (to use the title of Martha Nochimson's book - highly recommended!) - I mean, this is my view but INLAND EMPIRE has a more clear plot to me than Season 3.
I guess IE feels slightly more plot-oriented, or at least more focused, than TP:TR simply by nature of the fact that it is shorter and revolves more or less around one character. But I think the themes you mentioned (loss of memory and identity) are prominent themes in IE and almost all of DKL’s post-TP works, and are likely to remain prominent in any future season. Although your “swerving” metaphor is well taken, and a new season might well be something entirely unpredictable (as S3 was in many ways). But I just can’t imagine the narrative being more linear/lucid/in line with the original series.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

I think the odds for another season of TP is close to zero. It's wrapped up.

Also, I don't see any profound similarity between the major themes of IE and TPS3. In a way IE is much like Eraserhead; a very personal movie and a spiritual one on top of that. When Lynch finished IE at last, the first thing he did, was paying a visit to his former wife Peggy and their daughter Jennifer, to show them his latest creation. The three of them spend a heartfelt artistic togetherness, while watching.

There is no ground at all for Lynch to share such a moment while showing TPS3, but maybe I'm wrong.
NormoftheAndes
RR Diner Member

Post by NormoftheAndes »

Xavi wrote:I think the odds for another season of TP is close to zero. It's wrapped up.

Also, I don't see any profound similarity between the major themes of IE and TPS3. In a way IE is much like Eraserhead; a very personal movie and a spiritual one on top of that. When Lynch finished IE at last, the first thing he did, was paying a visit to his former wife Peggy and their daughter Jennifer, to show them his latest creation. The three of them spend a heartfelt artistic togetherness, while watching.

There is no ground at all for Lynch to share such a moment while showing TPS3, but maybe I'm wrong.
Twin Peaks is a continuing story. It will never be wrapped up.

Jen Lynch actually said that INLAND EMPIRE was her least favourite of her Dad's films and that it sorely needed Mary Sweeney's editing on it!
Teetotaling and prayer. Their hands touch yours and mine.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Xavi wrote:I think the odds for another season of TP is close to zero. It's wrapped up.

Twin Peaks is not over. I am sure of that there will be a Fourth season. you look Lynch said about a possibily continuity of the series: I don,t talk about that. he is saying the same before the return was emited!! Apart, Lynch, Frost and Showtime are opened to more twin Peaks.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Post by Harry S. Truman »

krishnanspace wrote:
NormoftheAndes wrote:
krishnanspace wrote: I'm sure they are.
What endless possibilities?

I can't see them going with that idea for a new season but starting instead from a totally new standpoint.
There are soooo many storylines yet to completed,So many yet to explored.
I Agree.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I find The Return much, much more comprehensible than Inland Empire. I can't even reliably get to the centre of the story in IE, whilst with The Return I have a range of theories, but it feels more plot driven. I really like IE, that's just my impression of it.

All of which goes to show that there is so much ambiguity and richness in these marvels that none of us can agree :-D
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

NormoftheAndes wrote:
Jen Lynch actually said that INLAND EMPIRE was her least favourite of her Dad's films and that it sorely needed Mary Sweeney's editing on it!
Really? I disagree with that. "IE" is the shortest feeling three-hour movie I've ever watched. It really feels like half that. Because things keep changing, it's not a long plot or exposition slog of the same a-b plot that gets tiring, like "Return of the King" or whatever. It couldn't be much shorter and be as immersive. I'd actually say that S3 has less plot momentum than "IE", as crazy as that sounds. Very little in S3 is followed up on in a satisfactory way; interesting plot points and characters are just dropped for no clear reason. "IE" has a feel that things are more resolved, even if it's extremely abstract.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

The Return feels just as personal and spiritual as INLAND EMPIRE to me, and just as much a return to Eraserhead. It's just that it's so large that it's also an exploration of other areas of Lynch's career, relationships and interests.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:The Return feels just as personal and spiritual as INLAND EMPIRE to me, and just as much a return to Eraserhead. It's just that it's so large that it's also an exploration of other areas of Lynch's career, relationships and interests.
What makes TP:TR completely unique in the DKL canon to me is...well, obviously, the length/format. But, that aside, he abandoned two career-long edicts of his filmmaking approach (likely for reasons related to the length/format, at least in part).

(1) Before TP:TR, DKL was firmly committed to telling what he calls “neighborhood stories,” i.e., storytelling on a small local scale...a lesson he learned the hard way after departing from the formula on Dune. Even more geographically spread-out works like W@H and IE seem to fit this model in an abstract sense, keeping the story focused on the insular community of Sailor & Lula in the former and on Nikki/Sue and the various reiterations of the Vier Sieben myth in the latter. TP:TR feels, in terms of scope, closer to Dune than anything else in the DKL canon, and I think that epic quality is very much by nature of Mark’s influence.

(2) DKL notoriously overshoots, a LOT, and has stated that he values enforced runtimes to help him keep perspective. He obviously decided to take the opposite tact on this production, leaving EVERYTHING in. As IcedOver noted, even the three-hour IE feels shockingly lean, whereas I don’t think too many of us would use that word to describe TP:TR, even if we love it.

One of the things that makes TP:TR so interesting to me is that DKL is throwing out his own rulebook and operating outside the comfort zone of what has worked for him during his 40-year career. That being said, in terms of mood/tone/pace, the piece feels more like a return to the Eraserhead style to me than anything else he has done since.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

^I didn't get the "Eraserhead" vibe much at all in mood, tone, or pacing. The overly clear and hi-def cinematography kept it from having that surreal, truly dark feel that film has. It actually felt more absurdist, playful, and even more comedic than anything he's done in a feature film, so that's the way I feel it differs. The Dougie stuff is a lot of self-aware, audience-jabbing absurdist comedy (particularly having him not know how to pee), a comparison to which I can't find in his other works.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Xavi wrote:The Return feels just as personal and spiritual as INLAND EMPIRE to me, and just as much a return to Eraserhead. It's just that it's so large that it's also an exploration of other areas of Lynch's career, relationships and interests.
I did not write that. Plse, correct.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

In August 2006, father, mother, and daughter, David, Peggy, and Jennifer, had a special get-to-gether at Lynch’s studio. Like Eraserhead (which Lynch had made when Jennifer was a little girl and he and Peggy were still married), INLAND EMPIRE was an independent production, and Lynch, free from any constraints imposed by co-creators or corporate bosses, shot hour and hours of footage at leisure. But now he was in a frenzy of “editing, editing, edit-ing!”359 by himself, since Mary Sweeney, his editor for twenty years, was out of his art-making life. And Lynch had a drop-deal deadline: the Venice Film Festival would give him their prestigious Golden Lion Award for Career Achievement achievement award on September 6, and INLAND EMPIRE had to be ready to show on that date. Lynch screened his rough cut for Peggy and Jennifer, who he loved so much and whose intelligence and artistic acuity he valued and trusted. And they lovingly told him what was fabulous and confusing, too long or too short, beautiful, mysterious, funny, and scary about his new work. Father, mother, and daughter were touched by a feeling of creative and family communion. Jennifer says the gathering was “one of the best days I ever had.”360 It was an Art Life afternoon.

~ from Beautiful Dark
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Xavi wrote:I did not write that. Plse, correct.
Fixed.