Criterion edition 10/17/17

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Criterion edition 10/17/17

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

This ended up being a pretty superfluous release. I love watching Sheryl and Angelo talk about this world, but neither contributes much of substance that we haven’t heard in countless other interviews (Angelo has a couple of anecdotes that are new to me, such as the recording of “The Black Dog Runs at Night,” but it’s mostly the same old stories). I wish they’d talked more about FWWM specifically, especially Sheryl. Her clips from the sorely-missed Moving Through Time feel way more on-point than this interview.

Chopping off the beginning of BTW is blasphemy, and renders the title (which still appears onscreen) and the opening exchanges (about six people being at the table and about “loosening things up”) meaningless and nonsensical.

While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.
Fred
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fred »

Is the Criterion edition available in the UK, for DVD region 2?

Thanks.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.

My exact thoughts. And if Lynch decides to release a new cut of FWWM with the MP edited back in this edition will be even more pointless.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:This ended up being a pretty superfluous release. I love watching Sheryl and Angelo talk about this world, but neither contributes much of substance that we haven’t heard in countless other interviews (Angelo has a couple of anecdotes that are new to me, such as the recording of “The Black Dog Runs at Night,” but it’s mostly the same old stories). I wish they’d talked more about FWWM specifically, especially Sheryl. Her clips from the sorely-missed Moving Through Time feel way more on-point than this interview.
Hey, at least we got a slightly better video encode and lossless theatrical audio!
Chopping off the beginning of BTW is blasphemy, and renders the title (which still appears onscreen) and the opening exchanges (about six people being at the table and about “loosening things up”) meaningless and nonsensical.
And on that note, it's because Criterion refuses to use double discs unless absolutely absolutely necessary and cuts corners whenever possible. Their video encodes every now and again show this, thankfully not here by the grace of god. Unfortunately Mulholland Drive wasn't lucky.
While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.
Bro it's all about licensing. Disney owns The Straight Story and they are notorious for holding movies close to their chest. I bet on that being a Disney Movie Club barebones disc before handing it off to Criterion, but crazier things have happened! That said Lost Highway and Elephant Man are good bets to be coming anyway so worrying "why one over the other" doesn't matter, because nothing is taking anything's place if they planned it already.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote: While it’s great to see the once-maligned FWWM get its due by becoming part of this prestigious collection, this release is perfunctory after the comprehensive Entire Mystery. I wish Criterion had given LH or TSS the slot instead.

My exact thoughts. And if Lynch decides to release a new cut of FWWM with the MP edited back in this edition will be even more pointless.
I'm pretty sure at this point that ship has sailed. He hasn't changed his tune, no need clinging to what-ifs.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

SpookyDollhouse wrote:
I'm pretty sure at this point that ship has sailed. He hasn't changed his tune, no need clinging to what-ifs.
Actually he did, Sabrina Sutherland said he is now open to the idea.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
SpookyDollhouse wrote:
Actually he did, Sabrina Sutherland said he is now open to the idea.
Really?? Good lord did I miss that. Saying he did change his mind, I don't know how I feel about it.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Is this release the same transfer as the one on the box set? Does it by chance restore the New Line Cinema logo as it was when released? It's annoying when the original logos are changed for DVD or BD releases (including having updated logos with website names or ownership changes).
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

IcedOver wrote:Is this release the same transfer as the one on the box set?
Pretty much, yeah. Unless you're having the famous sync issues with the CBS set, don't bother.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

IcedOver wrote:Is this release the same transfer as the one on the box set? Does it by chance restore the New Line Cinema logo as it was when released? It's annoying when the original logos are changed for DVD or BD releases (including having updated logos with website names or ownership changes).
Heh, I’m glad to learn I’m not the only person annoyed by this. The MGM logo with the website address placed on ‘60s releases drives me nuts. Warner Bros. is pretty good with keeping the period logo, and it’s fascinating to see it evolve over the years.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Heh, I’m glad to learn I’m not the only person annoyed by this. The MGM logo with the website address placed on ‘60s releases drives me nuts. Warner Bros. is pretty good with keeping the period logo, and it’s fascinating to see it evolve over the years.
I bought the "Nightmare on Elm Street" collection, but haven't yet watched any of it. I understand that the New Line logos on that are all the "A Time Warner Company" ones, except for the original film. You're watching something from the past, so why does it need to have current info on it? Sometimes music from the films starts during those logos, so you're not technically getting the film as released. With "FWWM", New Line wasn't the production company, but they could have kept that logo. I accessed it on Showtime On Demand, and it had the original logo, but it had information cut off on the sides compared to the BD release, and was an older transfer. Then I also brought up "Straight Story" On Demand, and I believe it did not have its Disney logo, which was strange.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
IcedOver wrote:Is this release the same transfer as the one on the box set?
Pretty much, yeah. Unless you're having the famous sync issues with the CBS set, don't bother.
Thanks, I was having doubts to buy this or not but this seals the deal.
"Your log and I are on the same page."
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote: Actually he did, Sabrina Sutherland said he is now open to the idea.
Do you have a link? I've been googinling to no avail.
Thanks!
-23-
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

marchug wrote: Do you have a link? I've been googinling to no avail.
Thanks!
Sorry, I don't :(