The Random Twin Peaks Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

claaa7
Great Northern Member

Re: The Random Twin Peaks Thread

Post by claaa7 »

i think it was baked into the Season 2 premier which aired on September 30, 1990.
there's a lot of stuff inserted there to make viewers catch up (the long scene where Albert and Coop "lay it all out" at the Sherriff station, Cooper getting informed about last night after waking up in the hospital).

the two new characters might very well be The Giant and Senor Droolcup then.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

claaa7 wrote: the two new characters might very well be The Giant and Senor Droolcup then.
One and the Same
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

What is it you mean Jerry? Is it this? pretty cool, never seen it :)

or this?

Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Soolsma wrote:What is it you mean Jerry? Is it this? pretty cool, never seen it :)

or this?

Definitely not the first one, which looks like it was made when TP came off cancellation/hiatus. Second one looks like it was before S3 premier though and might be it.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Not sure if this is common knowledge, but I haven’t seen it mentioned here: Russ Tamblyn is working on a memoir which sounds pretty interesting.
Attachments
B99A21EF-40C3-4963-A862-9B369DDC0E19.jpeg
B99A21EF-40C3-4963-A862-9B369DDC0E19.jpeg (364.54 KiB) Viewed 10457 times
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Was reading some of the discussion on the Room to Dream thread, and I wonder if there was some weird subconscious influence on Frost and Lynch when they wrote Cooper going back in time and resurrecting Laura. It's almost like a metaphor for reclaiming/resurrecting the show and rewriting what sounds like was a source of disappointment/frustration for Lynch when the original series ended.
Poiuyt
Roadhouse Member

Post by Poiuyt »

Last September I wrote this in the "mean-spirited" thread:
Poiuyt wrote:Back on topic, the cynicism in season three has to have come from Lynch's hatred of season two. I just think Lynch's idea of Twin Peaks was vastly different than ours. This was his way of making it entirely his own creation again.
While I don't agree with myself about everything I wrote back then, and I've warmed up to Part 18 and the new series as a whole, this still mostly rings true to me. Cooper saving Laura is Lynch wanting to undo the mistakes of season two, and Judy trapping Cooper and Laura (edit: if that's even what happened :lol: ) is Frost saying "No you don't," or something like that.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

From the pilot apparently.
p.png
p.png (93.36 KiB) Viewed 10301 times
Does that say: "KNOW SOMEONE WHO CAN'T PEE?" ?
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Hester Prynne wrote:Was reading some of the discussion on the Room to Dream thread, and I wonder if there was some weird subconscious influence on Frost and Lynch when they wrote Cooper going back in time and resurrecting Laura. It's almost like a metaphor for reclaiming/resurrecting the show and rewriting what sounds like was a source of disappointment/frustration for Lynch when the original series ended.
I've had exactly the same hunch. I wonder how aware of it they were? The way that the series ends, with the attempt to change things ending in this sort of entrapped outcome ... feels as if they're sort of bowing to the idea, even having reclaimed their property, of turning it into a magnum opus. It's far too wily for that...

It's been said before that Cooper is based on traits from Kyle, Frost & Lynch. To me Cooper's journey is basically Lynch & Frost's journey.

The fact that it ends with Laura screaming also hearkens, to me, Fire Walk With Me. As was being said there, more or less, "underneath the lovable series, there is this," the house and the scream seem to be saying, '"coming back again, despite however curvy and long the ride, it is this, it was always this." The primacy of Laura and the tragedy of what happened usurp everything else, and everything else certainly includes adrift plot-lines, cancellation, and a 25 year interim, all the way through Cooper's avant-garde journey.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

AXX°N N. wrote:
The fact that it ends with Laura screaming also hearkens, to me, Fire Walk With Me. As was being said there, more or less, "underneath the lovable series, there is this," the house and the scream seem to be saying, '"coming back again, despite however curvy and long the ride, it is this, it was always this." The primacy of Laura and the tragedy of what happened usurp everything else, and everything else certainly includes adrift plot-lines, cancellation, and a 25 year interim, all the way through Cooper's avant-garde journey.
Yes - the opening shot of Laura's face for each episode and the last words we hear are Sarah Palmer's haunting "Laura, Laura" when she calls out to Laura from downstairs to go to school that morning not yet knowing her daughter had been murdered. Cooper's journey, Dougie, Season 2, alternate realities - the series has always been and always will be about Laura's tragedy. "I am dead, yet I live."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Hester Prynne wrote:Was reading some of the discussion on the Room to Dream thread, and I wonder if there was some weird subconscious influence on Frost and Lynch when they wrote Cooper going back in time and resurrecting Laura. It's almost like a metaphor for reclaiming/resurrecting the show and rewriting what sounds like was a source of disappointment/frustration for Lynch when the original series ended.
I've had exactly the same hunch. I wonder how aware of it they were? The way that the series ends, with the attempt to change things ending in this sort of entrapped outcome ... feels as if they're sort of bowing to the idea, even having reclaimed their property, of turning it into a magnum opus. It's far too wily for that...

It's been said before that Cooper is based on traits from Kyle, Frost & Lynch. To me Cooper's journey is basically Lynch & Frost's journey.

I think there's a very conscious element at play. If it's not exactly about reclaiming the show, specifically, it's always struck me as very consciously about the dangers of wanting to dig back into the past. And since the show is so very meta - is it future or is it past, Lynch as two directors and possibly the dreamer, etc. - it strikes me as a high possibility that they were also conscious of Cooper's journey resembling their own. They knew they were resurrecting the show in a landscape of other resurrected shows and referenced that aspect throughout, I feel, intertwining with other themes of time, aging, nostalgia, etc. When you hit upon something so complete-feeling and thematically tangled, it's probably all some form of subconscious, but I feel they also knew what they were doing.

I love your other thoughts, too.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

LateReg wrote: I think there's a very conscious element at play. If it's not exactly about reclaiming the show, specifically, it's always struck me as very consciously about the dangers of wanting to dig back into the past. And since the show is so very meta - is it future or is it past, Lynch as two directors and possibly the dreamer, etc. - it strikes me as a high possibility that they were also conscious of Cooper's journey resembling their own. They knew they were resurrecting the show in a landscape of other resurrected shows and referenced that aspect throughout, I feel, intertwining with other themes of time, aging, nostalgia, etc. When you hit upon something so complete-feeling and thematically tangled, it's probably all some form of subconscious, but I feel they also knew what they were doing.
Right, I see it the same way -- you phrased it exactly, the dangers of digging back into the past. The relationship between the overwhelming, somewhat joyous ending of FWWM and the timeline change is a strange one ... I can't help but feel a certain dramatic irony, that Cooper has damaged what should have been left alone without realizing, and how that relates in such a pertinent way to the franchise being revisited. For the first time I see the potential meta-textual element of Cooper looking back at Laura, and in so doing, losing her -- as if Lynch and Frost have performed the same action. The shift into Odessa is a filmic version of something crumbling in your hands, and for Cooper and Laura, the characters stuck inside, it manifests as the world they've known alternating in strange ways. It's another of many ways the themes of grief have re-established themselves as the focal point, although now the grief has shifted off of Laura and almost onto the series itself as subject. Although, in the end, it feels as though they're one and the same.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

A coworker and I were discussing the Timmy Westphall Universe today (you’re welcome), and I noted that according to the site, the closest TP has had to a crossover is a mention on Fringe that a character is friends with Jacoby. However, that reminded me that I’ve read Russ Tamblyn played a character named Dr. Jacoby on two episodes of General Hospital, of all shows, back in 2000.

Has anyone seen these episodes? Is he obviously meant to be the same character, or is it just a small wink-and-a-nod thing? What is his function in the narrative? I’d love to see his scenes, but I have no idea where one goes to find old episodes of GH. This feels like one of the most obscure corners of TP arcana, and I’d love to learn more about his appearances and how they came about. In theory, this would be the only appearance of a TP character outside L/F-produced material (well, I guess there’s also Cyril Pons’s barely-there cameo in Storyville).
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

AXX°N N. wrote:
LateReg wrote: I think there's a very conscious element at play. If it's not exactly about reclaiming the show, specifically, it's always struck me as very consciously about the dangers of wanting to dig back into the past.
For the first time I see the potential meta-textual element of Cooper looking back at Laura, and in so doing, losing her -- as if Lynch and Frost have performed the same action.
It's interesting to think about certain scenes from Season 3 in this context. I wonder if the journey is more about when Lynch/Frost lost Laura when the original run was canceled - that Season 3 was always about finding Laura again and returning "home" or at the point where the story first began. The scene that really sticks out to me is in Episode 17 when Cooper returns to a scene from FWWM, which is Laura's story, to "find her." Then as he tells her he's taking her "home," she's ripped away from his hand. There's also Leland's "find Laura," Laura being ripped out of the Red Room - even Audrey's questions to Charlie about what story she's in, being confused about who and where she is, her fixation on "finding" Billy - it seems like so much of the show had characters disoriented, lost, or in search of something - the Log Lady's message to Hawk that he "missed something" and they were missing pages of Laura's diary - so much of it seems like a metaphor for Lynch/Frost losing Laura and finding her again, but recognizing that what's done is done, and no matter how many different incarnations of Twin Peaks there are, the story will always end where it began.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:A coworker and I were discussing the Timmy Westphall Universe today (you’re welcome), and I noted that according to the site, the closest TP has had to a crossover is a mention on Fringe that a character is friends with Jacoby. However, that reminded me that I’ve read Russ Tamblyn played a character named Dr. Jacoby on two episodes of General Hospital, of all shows, back in 2000.

Has anyone seen these episodes? Is he obviously meant to be the same character, or is it just a small wink-and-a-nod thing? What is his function in the narrative? I’d love to see his scenes, but I have no idea where one goes to find old episodes of GH. This feels like one of the most obscure corners of TP arcana, and I’d love to learn more about his appearances and how they came about. In theory, this would be the only appearance of a TP character outside L/F-produced material (well, I guess there’s also Cyril Pons’s barely-there cameo in Storyville).
This is hilarious - Fandom had a link to tv.com which said he's the real life father of Amber Tamblyn who was an actress on the show. Assuming the info on tv.com is accurate, he apparently was in episode 185 from Season 37.