Phillip Jeffries imposter / Lost Highway connection?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: Phillip Jeffries imposter / Lost Highway connection?

Post by Cappy »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Whatever the original intentions were, I think it’s highly likely that when L/F rewatched E29 together while writing S3, they formed some new ideas about that moment that may not have had anything to do with whatever DKL was thinking in 1991 when he conceived it. For instance, it seems likely to me that that scene was the germ of the idea that Sarah could be “inhabited” in the new series.
Well said... I also think that the way we look at Sarah Palmer in 2018 is very different from the way we looked at her in 1991. We have both Fire Walk With Me + The Missing Pieces both suggesting she had some awareness of what was happening in her house, coupled with a cultural shift in views towards sexual abuse. What was once a helpless bystander, now appears almost guilty by her silence. Even before S3 aired, I couldn't help but look at Sarah and think of abuse cases reported in the media, where institutions and powerful individuals were held accountable for failing to act against a predator among their ranks (Joe Paterno instantly comes to mind).

Sarah is obviously a tragic figure, but I think her guilt is ultimately the most tragic thing about her, the fact that she knew but didn't act. I read somewhere that the white horse has been interpreted as her mind's way of blocking out Leland's actions and Laura's pain. "The horse is the white of the eyes, and the dark within" indeed.

But getting back to the phone impostor, I feel like it's most likely Sarah/JUDY, but Cooper (or some version of) makes more sense, thematically anyway. Cooper and Sarah have a strange relationship. I always thought it was odd how he avoided her during the initial investigation of S1/S2. And that scene where he comforts her over Leland's passing seems so odd in hindsight, specifically the way he simultaneously absolves Leland and Sarah of any guilt. It's like Coop is almost complicit in Sarah's denial.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

I don't think Cooper necessarily avoided Sarah; Harry took her statement before Cooper arrived in town.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I guess I was referencing the part in S1 where Andy got a description of BOB from Sarah for his sketch, and Cooper later said he didn't go with because "I'm a strong sender so I don't want to through her off" (or something to that effect).

It just struck me as odd that he wouldn't want to question her about BOB, especially considering his dream-vision in ep. 2.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Cappy wrote:I guess I was referencing the part in S1 where Andy got a description of BOB from Sarah for his sketch, and Cooper later said he didn't go with because "I'm a strong sender so I don't want to through her off" (or something to that effect).

It just struck me as odd that he wouldn't want to question her about BOB, especially considering his dream-vision in ep. 2.
Ahhh yes, I completely forgot about that.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

My interpretation has been that the frog-bug essentially planted the seed in Sarah that made her susceptible to the spirit world, and a beacon for Judy to inhabit. I don't think Sarah is possessed by Judy until the "Experiment" (which I'm pretty sure is just a semi-physical... or just semi-VISIBLE Judy) escapes from the glass box. Judy-Experiment then wooshes over to Twin Peaks and inhabits Sarah. Perhaps her freakout in the grocery store is the moment where Judy inhabits her? Or maybe the first scene of her watching TV?

RE: Sarah talking in the S2 finale... well, it seemed very simple and clear that it was just Earle using lodge powers to speak through her. It seemed blatantly obvious to me that it was nothing more than that!
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Bumping this thread up a bit: the voice in part 2 could likely be coming from Mike/Gerard. Why? Remember FWWM and what happens when Bob gets back to the Waiting Room? Mike and LMFAP unite and ask for their garmonbozia ("Bob, I want my garmonbozia..."). Mr C (or is it Bob in him) senses that should he go back they will ask for it again, and thus wants to avoid it altogether, ultimately keeping all of the garmonbozia for himself. When his car overturns, he starts vomiting it so it does not "travel" back with him, willingly, instinctively, or whatever, so long that Mike does not get it. (Too bad we never got those results of what made up Mr C.'s puke that FBI ordered). Alternatively, he was forced to vomit it since original Dougie could not carry it to the lodge, and yet Mr. C could not hold on to it any longer.

From this perspective, Garard tries to release Cooper primarily or exclusively to do his bidding for him (Cooper gets out, Mr. C/Bob gets back in, we collect our garmonbozia). Which explains Gerard's enthousiasm for Dougie's predicament, and highlights Copper's condition as that of a tool/object in the hands of higher forces.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I've always maintained it was Albert whom Bad Dale was talking to. The voice sounds about right and there is plenty of circumstantial evidence for it considering Albert's confession to Cole.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Albert!
Albert.
Albert...

No. It's not about Albert.

In his own words:

"I reject absolutely: revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love."

Mordeen, you really think that Albert has fallen and conspires with BOB? How do you think this occurred? Because of his contact with Twin Peaks, because of his contact with Cooper, or otherwise?

I'm with boske, I initially felt and continue to feel that it's Gerard on the phone. At the same time, that strange device that Cooper uses to make the call... what the hell is up with that? My first impression back when the show aired, was that it could call across time, across dimensions, or something like that. It has this magitech vibe.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I do not think it is Albert either, as I do not find it likely that L&F would add the "be with Bob again" without giving us some back story or hints. Also, if I recall correctly Albert was in the sheriff's office in part 17 during the fistfight, and nothing peculiar to Albert took place there. This is not to say that some law enforcement were not in it, including maybe even Albert, as Ray was informing for somebody, and warden Murphy did appear to be part of some group/organization/agency. To me it seems clear that there is a back channel between Murphy and some of the feds. Could Albert have fallen? Could be, but would Cole behave as if nothing happened? Lastly, Albert was in the Philly office in FWWM and Jeffries did not point to him during "who do you think that is there". So Albert may have done some legwork here, but I think Gerard was pulling all the strings.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:At the same time, that strange device that Cooper uses to make the call... what the hell is up with that? My first impression back when the show aired, was that it could call across time, across dimensions, or something like that. It has this magitech vibe.
Did not Windom Earle have one too? And he was a rogue agent after all, so some other agents may have had one as well.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Mr. Strawberry wrote:Albert!
Albert.
Albert...

No. It's not about Albert.

In his own words:

"I reject absolutely: revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love."

Mordeen, you really think that Albert has fallen and conspires with BOB? How do you think this occurred? Because of his contact with Twin Peaks, because of his contact with Cooper, or otherwise?

I'm with boske, I initially felt and continue to feel that it's Gerard on the phone. At the same time, that strange device that Cooper uses to make the call... what the hell is up with that? My first impression back when the show aired, was that it could call across time, across dimensions, or something like that. It has this magitech vibe.
He admitted to Cole that he had been working with Cooper, whom we clearly know was actually Bad Dale, and it got someone killed. He likely provided "Cooper" that tech to access FBI networks on the DL. He didn't admit to working with Bob, but could very well have been playing off things that "Cooper" may have said during their collaboration that he then attempted to use as bait to bring "Cooper" in. Look at Albert's face when he's found out. That's more than guilt. That was dread.

Additionally, the Black Lodge's influence on Cooper's subconscious is at play, so making Albert look corrupt or at least vulnerable to manipulation works toward the endgame.

Without anything definitive we're all obviously left to try to piece together a theory on this subject based upon what's available, but I don't see how anything in the series points to it being Mike/Philip who would be trying to dupe Bad Dale for garmonbozia or any other purpose, but it's food for thought.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

There's also the scene when Cole answers the door of his hotel room, sees the image of Laura, and hears the same cry of "Laura" that Carrie Page hears in the last scene. Albert is at the door. I think the shot of Laura is from FWWM when she goes to Donna's and ask her if she's her friend. I thought it sounded like Albert when I first watched it, and my thinking was that Evil Coop had really been working with Albert posing as Jeffries all of these years as opposed to the real Jeffries. In their conversation, Evil Coop alludes to Jeffries as still being nowhere, so it's possible they never met in person. The only problem is Evil Coop should know Albert's voice if he has Good Coop's memories. He should also know what Jeffries and Gerard sound like. That's what's so confusing about the call - Evil Coop should have immediately recognized he wasn't talking to Jeffries, but he doesn't. I'm wondering if the device he uses disguises the voice on the other end, but I don't know what purpose that would serve since it would be clear to anyone listening in that he thought he was talking to Philip Jeffries. Maybe it was a coded conversation, or they were trying to throw people off in case someone was listening in.
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Hester Prynne wrote:There's also the scene when Cole answers the door of his hotel room, sees the image of Laura, and hears the same cry of "Laura" that Carrie Page hears in the last scene. Albert is at the door. I think the shot of Laura is from FWWM when she goes to Donna's and ask her if she's her friend. I thought it sounded like Albert when I first watched it, and my thinking was that Evil Coop had really been working with Albert posing as Jeffries all of these years as opposed to the real Jeffries. In their conversation, Evil Coop alludes to Jeffries as still being nowhere, so it's possible they never met in person. The only problem is Evil Coop should know Albert's voice if he has Good Coop's memories. He should also know what Jeffries and Gerard sound like. That's what's so confusing about the call - Evil Coop should have immediately recognized he wasn't talking to Jeffries, but he doesn't. I'm wondering if the device he uses disguises the voice on the other end, but I don't know what purpose that would serve since it would be clear to anyone listening in that he thought he was talking to Philip Jeffries. Maybe it was a coded conversation, or they were trying to throw people off in case someone was listening in.
Yeah like everyone watching the show for example.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

The voice was modulated.

- Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mordeen wrote:The voice was modulated.

- Mordeen
While first watching the show I also started to suspect Albert, especially due to his facial expressions during the prison interview with Mr.C. However, after playing around with the voice pitch of the phone call a few months ago, I am now leaning more towards it being f.ex. Grace Zabriskie. There definitely is a southern accent going on.