Twin peaks: Nostalgia Fanedit

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Re: Twin peaks: Nostalgia Fanedit

Post by bowisneski »

This edit actually came to me in a dream, I just never felt the need to make it until I was reading this thread. It's not perfect because the cuts need some refining, and I can't edit audio very well so that was just removed, but here's how I did it

https://vimeo.com/296703549

It only sort of works and it changes how it happened so that Cooper puts the ring on Mr. C, then the Woodsmen show up and remove BOrB, who is destroyed because the ring was on Mr. C's finger before the Woodsmen showed up. Not eactly canonical, but that's the way I dreamt up to remove the green glove.
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

Kilmoore
RR Diner Member

Post by Kilmoore »

A interesting project, I'll certainly keep an eye on this. But that clip reminded me again of the major issue here: Neither Ben nor Jerry play any role in the plot. I can't think of an editing solution that would change that.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Kilmoore wrote:A interesting project, I'll certainly keep an eye on this. But that clip reminded me again of the major issue here: Neither Ben nor Jerry play any role in the plot. I can't think of an editing solution that would change that.
I would say giving Truman the key that Cooper needs, Ben hearing the hum, and Jerry in North Dakota are all roles in the plot.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

bowisneski wrote:
Kilmoore wrote:A interesting project, I'll certainly keep an eye on this. But that clip reminded me again of the major issue here: Neither Ben nor Jerry play any role in the plot. I can't think of an editing solution that would change that.
I would say giving Truman the key that Cooper needs, Ben hearing the hum, and Jerry in North Dakota are all roles in the plot.
Plus, Jerry's revenue stream is an example of a changing America and new form of legal income that is supposedly keeping the hotel business afloat, and his being lost in the woods not only mirrors Cooper's being lost in the world/trapped in the lodge as well as having parallels to Richard's hit and run (Jerry's car was said to be stolen in the same Part 7 that Andy interrogates that man about the stolen car used in the hit and run), but also begs the question of just why he can't get out of the woods and how long he's been there. Is he just high as hell or is there something mysteriously supernatural related to the woods or more deeply psychological relating to Cooper taking place? It's a fact that the man could not have walked as far as he did in the seemingly few days he was lost and then found. I've checked the map. :D

As far as this re-edit project is concerned, I'm definitely interested in the experiment of it. I watched that clip and it could just be familiarity, but I actually prefer the colors as they are in The Return rather than the more golden tweaks made here. But I'm also someone who thinks that the interior shots of the Great Northern and Sheriff's station are beautifully lit and resemble closely enough the original program. I appreciate the effort of the editing of this particular scene, but I also think you're erring by excising crucial pieces of Jerry's dialogue as it pertains to the thematic world of The Return. You definitely did a good job making the scene snappier, but I really feel something important is lost by cutting so much of Jerry's dialogue.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Yup I like the lighting and colour better in The Return. The edit seems a little oversaturated and kind of blackened. To try and emulate the look of film for The Return, to me that's kind of missing the point of the medium in which it was made. The show and it's story tap into digital as like a living part of itself. It's like wanting the Mona Lisa to be painted in emulsion or something. It just wasn't made for film. Interesting to see as an experiment though.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:Yup I like the lighting and colour better in The Return. The edit seems a little oversaturated and kind of blackened. To try and emulate the look of film for The Return, to me that's kind of missing the point of the medium in which it was made. The show and it's story tap into digital as like a living part of itself. It's like wanting the Mona Lisa to be painted in emulsion or something. It just wasn't made for film. Interesting to see as an experiment though.
I agree with you and think I know where you're coming from, but can you expand upon the idea of the story itself tapping into digital like a living part of itself? I can think of a few ways to look at that, and it's very interesting to me as I believe that is part of what makes The Return so great. Thanks.
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

I just feel that the way Lynch uses the technology available to him goes way beyond any average filmmaker 'shaking the camera'. To me, the digital tools and look of The Return are just ingrained in it the way it tells it's story. In a lot of ways it's almost about how far you can push the technologies that we have in filmmaking today.

Take the woodsmen walking around the convenience store, or Sarah smashing Laura's picture for instance. For one thing, you can't do anything nearly as kinetic or violent with film. Also the effects that he's using to edit these scenes, the dropped frames and the timeline skipping, work as both an unnerving and jarring "oh shit here we go" type of feeling, but it also totally betrays how he made it. There's no wild or flashy tricks, you can see how it's done. I think that stuff is spectacular. It is directly involved in the narrative.

How often do you see films or TV using the very process that put it together as part of it's character and actual nature? I don't think I can remember anything like this. It's like the very form that it's using is fragile and unstable, and the very forces involved in the story threaten to shake the whole thing apart. I love that vulnerability that I can feel from it.
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

There is no more Jerry in North Dakota, i have totally cut it away :D
Anyway, i'm almost at the end of it
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

bowisneski wrote:
Also, Ben explaining Richard's lack of a father also plays into the central plot.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

Almost done. I kept all the episodes under the hour, excluding the last final that is the final movie.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

reddinocc wrote:Almost done. I kept all the episodes under the hour, excluding the last final that is the final movie.
Should be interesting. While I'm against such things in general, I'm very curious about anything Twin Peaks related at this point and recognize the effort you've made.
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

The project is of course on https://www.fanedit.org/

The editing is almost ready.
reddinocc

Post by reddinocc »

I have updated the first page with the starting minutes of all music i added in the episodes. So you can check where is the new music in my version.
The 15th November i close the edit.
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

I am definitely interested in watching it!
-23-