What would a Season 4 be about?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Re: What would a Season 4 be about?

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

Cappy wrote:
Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:Twin Peaks finished in 1992. Since 1967 to 1992 there is 25 years!!! Coincidence??
Ah, I didn't think of it that way. And 25 years after 1992 = 2017. Maybe there is something there? I can never tell what specific year any of TP is supposed to occur.
David Lynch likes numerology.
Phillip Jeffries_40
Roadhouse Member

Post by Phillip Jeffries_40 »

krishnanspace wrote:If 1967 is of some significance , then that means Kyle, Showtime and others are aware of the story. I don't think Lynch and Frost would allow that considering how tight lipped they were during Season 3
If there is a only person that could know the story, would be Kyle mc lachlan.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:
Showtime retweeted .only their youth? I don,t know.

Kyle answered 1967 to a question about Cooper, not about Kyle.
Yes, which is a very Kyle thing to do.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Kyle: "Hmmm, let's see. How shall I answer this question I've been asked a couple of dozens of times. Ah yes, 1967 is bound to make people go nuts!" *watches the carnage*

Come on people. Nothing to see here. He might as well have said: under the fan, deer meadow, 15, home, blue, far away or 2067. Showtime retweeting is just basic social media PR.

Anyway, just for the heck of it, I'll play along. 1967, grabbed from Reindeer's timeline:

o

New Orleans D.A. Jim Garrison arrests local businessman Clay Shaw for allegedly conspiring in the JFK assassination. Crisman (w/ whom Shaw allegedly served in the
OSS in WWII) is apparently Shaw's 1
st
phone call. Crisman is subpoenaed. No charges are brought against Crisman, & Shaw is acquitted.
o

The Dutchman’s Lodge is demolished.

o

12/24/1967

Philadelphia, Pa.
Dale Cooper's dad has the family walk around the
spruce tree in the front yard because the churches have stolen Christmas.
o

12/25/1967

Cooper is given a Norelco B2000 reel-to-reel tape recorder by his parents. His dad then reads a page from
The Grapes of Wrath
& Christmas is over.

@ 2pm, Cooper ventures out of the house to interview Lewis Nordine;
Lewis’s brother Jim shoots @ him w/ a BB gun.

(As an adult, Lewis joins the USAF.)

@9pm, Cooper resolves to get a battery pack

12/26/1967

3pm. Cooper gets 3 batteries from Simms
(sic) Hardware so he can operate the recorder w/o an extension cord.

@ 10pm, Cooper decides he must have a plan for his life now that he has
the recorder, but doesn’t know what it will be.

o

12/27/1967

3am. Cooper has an asthma attack, closes his eyes & pretends to be dead while his mother rubs VapoRub on his chest. His mother tells him a dream she had about being alone in a field when thousands of birds filled the sky & blocked out all light.

~1967-68
—Leland Palmer marries Sarah Novack (21 yrs., per Jacoby’s report)
These beings were said to appear in both male and female forms - 'Joudy' indicated the female, and the male was known as 'Ba'al' -and, while they were considered beyond dangerous individually, if a male and a female ever united while on earth, the ancient texts claimed, their resulting ‘marriage’ would create something far more perilous. As in: the end of the world as we know it. A few centuries later, Ba'al becomes better known, in both Christian and Islamic sources, as 'Beelzebub,' a false god, or, as he's known more generically today, the devil."
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
blueangel

Post by blueangel »

I think that Kyle Maclachlan is just a super fan like us, so he just likes to link things up as we all do. I would love to be wrong though.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

LateReg wrote:
Phillip Jeffries_40 wrote:
Showtime retweeted .only their youth? I don,t know.

Kyle answered 1967 to a question about Cooper, not about Kyle.
Yes, which is a very Kyle thing to do.
... in the last, oh, let's say 10 years or so. Prior to that, there was a looong period of time (from gut feeling, somewhere from around FWWM to 2010) when he didn't want to talk about Twin Peaks or even acknowledge its place in his career. Matter of fact, I got the impression he sorta went with the general flow that followed critical backlash from late S 2 onward and acted sorta ashamed of participating in it (and he wasn't the only one of the original cast to act this way, not by a long shot). Sorry (to all), but it needed to be said. It being sad, I'm very glad that presently, TP hasn't got a keener supporter than him.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Kyle was doing Twin Peaks-related press and interviews for DVDs, etc. as early as at least the mid-2000s.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Kyle was doing Twin Peaks-related press and interviews for DVDs, etc. as early as at least the mid-2000s.
The 2001 Artisan DVD has an interview with Kyle at his home, IIRC.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

You people are all way more imaginative than me. This idea for a 60s Twin Peaks is genius, and would solve a lot of problems about how to go forward. It could be amazing (and maddening if it sidesteps the unresolved cliffhanger rather than links to it).

I don't think this is happening at all though. I think Kyle probably had that photo out for some reason, and someone asked where Cooper was happy, and he made a joke, along the lines of "well, I'm Cooper, here is an old photo of me looking happy".

Any series continuation would presumably have to feature loads of Gordon Cole and Tammy Preston, so it has to be set in at least some version of the present day for some of the time.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I once had a very ill-advised pipe dream for a mini-prequel of say, 6-7 episodes set in the '50s and featuring a young black protagonist with a child Leland in a small supporting role. But despite a mostly unrelated story that element made it feel so much like an unnecessary prequel cliche that I am hesitant to discuss it, and I am not much of a fanfic person.

The other idea I would find most interesting as a sidestory would be something set in the mid-late '90s in Twin Peaks, or the early 2000s. But again, none of that will ever happen.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

N. Needleman wrote: The other idea I would find most interesting as a sidestory would be something set in the mid-late '90s in Twin Peaks, or the early 2000s. But again, none of that will ever happen.
Maybe I'm misremembering, but in the press materials for Final Dossier, I could've sworn I saw a graphic for a program from a "Laura Palmer Tribute" (or memorial?) held five years after her death at the Roadhouse.

I figure it would've played out a lot like her funeral, with Bobby Briggs making some sort of big scene or something. Interestingly enough, Bobby is largely absent from Final Dossier. Early on Agent Preston says she will come back to his story, but then never does.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I'm cautiously onboard with Twin Peaks 1967, but... what purpose would Laura Palmer (and Cooper) have in 1967? My only thought would be that not only did Laura Palmer choose to die rather than be possessed by BOB (FWWM), but that she is now taking it a step further and preventing her parents from ever having her in the first place (which might create some sort of paradox that destroys the space time continuum?). It'd be like the anti-Back To The Future.

But maybe it could primarily center around Sarah Palmer, and give us insight into what was going on with her in S3 (and by extension, the rest of the series). I'm guessing in 1967 Sarah and Leland have just married and moved to Twin Peaks -- Leland was from there, but Sarah wasn't, right? Maybe the show could primarily focus on Sarah's sense of isolation in her new surroundings, coupled with the increasing amount on distance Leland seems to be putting between them, what with him spending long stretches of time away from home. At some point she would start self medicating, watching too much TV, seeing white horses, and/or meet Carrie Page, and the plot would advance from there.

I'm not really sure they could do bands at the Roadhouse in this scenario though, but as long as the venue itself has a vaguely 60's look, I wouldn't care if it was modern acts performing. I wouldn't expect the town to be too seeped in 60's counterculture though. After all, even in 2017 it still sort of has that dreamy 1950's thing going on. But it would lend some flavor to the show to have Jerry Horne doing some stereotypically 60's things (taking hallucinogens, protesting something).
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

If there's any '50s/'60s in the new TP it would likely be some more of the frogmoth infected New Mexico girl/Sarah Novack Palmer, but, like last time, just a hint of that.

Any historic setting with too much exposition would feel like an
N. Needleman wrote:unnecessary prequel cliche.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Twin Peaks is going all Terminator/X men. Lol.
In FWWM , during the Irene's Diner scene someone mentions that there were 2 FBI agents who visited them in the 50s
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Kyle was doing Twin Peaks-related press and interviews for DVDs, etc. as early as at least the mid-2000s.
The 2001 Artisan DVD has an interview with Kyle at his home, IIRC.
Ah, you're right. He did a few limited interviews for DVD editions. I guess his stuck-up attitude towards the show was limited to the 90's, when the wounds of failure were still fresh.