General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Cappy
Great Northern Member

Re: General Discussion on Season 3 (All Opinions Welcome)

Post by Cappy »

Just watched Dune for the first time in 15 years, and now I can't help but feel like "we live inside a dream" is somehow a callback to Kyle Machlaclan standing in the desert and yelling "THE SLEEPER HAS AWAKENED!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ragXpWsAI[/youtube]
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Just a random aside: Seeing people marveling (haha) this week at the high-security methods designed to keep a lid on spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War and the final season of Game of Thrones made me giggle - almost everything mentioned was done by the Twin Peaks team during production of Season 3, and some of these projects' attempts at secrecy are frankly junior league by comparison.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

N. Needleman wrote:Just a random aside: Seeing people marveling (haha) this week at the high-security methods designed to keep a lid on spoilers for Avengers: Infinity War and the final season of Game of Thrones made me giggle - almost everything mentioned was done by the Twin Peaks team during production of Season 3, and some of these projects' attempts at secrecy are frankly junior league by comparison.
It seems like there have also been some pretty big leaks on the upcoming Avengers movie, although I’ve avoided reading them. It is impressive how a relatively rinky-dink operation could seemingly match the legal power of a behemoth like Disney (who own like 90% of the world at this point...they now own National Geographic!). I wonder what Rancho Rosa’s legal budget looked like.

Also all the more baffling that such open access was given to shooting at the Palmer house for the final scene of the entire piece.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Also all the more baffling that such open access was given to shooting at the Palmer house for the final scene of the entire piece.
Yeah, I don't know who the people were from the public who were allowed to watch that scene being filmed, but it seems that they would have wanted an absolute clampdown on any access to all the scenes with MacLachlan and Lee. Then they included a shot from that scene in a commercial.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

IcedOver wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Also all the more baffling that such open access was given to shooting at the Palmer house for the final scene of the entire piece.
Yeah, I don't know who the people were from the public who were allowed to watch that scene being filmed, but it seems that they would have wanted an absolute clampdown on any access to all the scenes with MacLachlan and Lee. Then they included a shot from that scene in a commercial.
Some have pondered, and I tend to agree, that Lynch didn't mind if that scene got out to further subvert expectations. Which it certainly did as it influenced a ton of theories leading up to the release. I didn't engage in any spoiler discussion, but looking back (and even at the time) I often wondered if certain theories stemmed from knowledge of spoilers. At any rate, Lynch had to have known it could get out.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
IcedOver wrote:
Some have pondered, and I tend to agree, that Lynch didn't mind if that scene got out to further subvert expectations. Which it certainly did as it influenced a ton of theories leading up to the release. I didn't engage in any spoiler discussion, but looking back (and even at the time) I often wondered if certain theories stemmed from knowledge of spoilers. At any rate, Lynch had to have known it could get out.
The only thing that scene spoiled was the knowledge that Sarah would not answer the door, but rather the actual owner of the house. That took away a little of the tension of the scene away because your average viewer was expecting a Laura vs. Sarah confrontation but I knew that wasn't going to happen based in description of those who saw that scene filmed.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

In a season that I think undeniably delighted in subverting audience expectations, to various thematic/tonal/intellectual/emotional ends, that leak (if intentional) plays as the ultimate subversion of spoiler culture. They seemingly intentionally let the scene out into the world completely devoid of context, let fans dream about where the scene leads/what it means for a full year and a half.....and then ended the series with it, leaving us to STILL continue dreaming about where the scene leads and what it means. While the eighteen hours of the show undeniably provide valuable context for the final scene, we’re really not too much more knowledgeable about what Laura’s scream means and what happens next than we were when the scene was shot and the leak occurred. (Those who hold that L/F were engaging in trolling for a lot of the series also have an argument that the leak is Exhibit A, although I personally disagree.)

The flipside is that it’s like one of those movie trailers that reveals the ending. There was something frustrating about already more or less knowing the content of the final minutes, the thing that everything else had been building up to. A sad air of inevitability (which maybe was also the point, in a way). There will always be a part of me that wishes I could have enjoyed that sequence for the first time as a pure experience without the spoilers, though.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I didn't know about any witness stories from that filming before watching other than a report that neighbors were told to expect screaming. Really, I didn't have anything spoiled, not even evil Coop's hair.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I knew Cooper and Laura/Carrie went to the door and found the real owner there. (Until the finale aired I wasn't sure if the last detail was a placeholder for a scene to be shot on a set elsewhere later.) I knew they went down the stairs at some point and that Cooper would stumble around, Laura would scream and the lights in the Palmer house would go out. But I knew no context.

I always knew the sequence was coming. I suspected it would be near the end. But even knowing that didn't ruin it for me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Random though about Cooper being the dreamer - it’s sort of like he starts the season having a semi-lucid dream where he has control of himself but not his surrounding, he a straight dream through the outlet as Dougie where he is cognizant of what is going on but not really in control, the he becomes fully lucid in Part 17/18 and is able to control the reality of his dream like being able to get places extremely quickly and opening the Red Room curtains on his own.

Nothing new in that, just hadn’t thought of it in specific dream terms before.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I would like to talk about Judy and a little bit about other Lodge dwellers in relation to her/it. None of the following has been worked out further than ponderings, so it's going to be a bit fractured and probably bullet pointed questions. All that follows assumes that Judy and the Experiment are the same entity.

Did Judy cross over when BOB and the eggs did, or was following Cooper it's first time entering our world? If it doesn't have the power to easily travel between worlds, was it something different knocking on the door behind Cooper?

Was it crossing over that activated the frogmoth within Sarah?

If Judy crossing over activated Sarah, did it activate while she was in the grocery store which caused what I've assumed to be a flashback, since she refers to men coming and men came the night she was first frogmoth-ed.

Is that why her union with Leland while BOB was with him didn't result in a new malevolent being?

Or, is the assumption about Judy and BOB uniting wrong, could it be that it's supposed to be the Jumping Man instead or BOB? BOB never seemed to be equivalent to the devil, he seems more like a more common lesser evil. And the frogmoth has similar features to and we see the morph with Sarah and Jumping Man in season 3.

Is it in more than one person, or was Sarah's egg the only one that survived crossing over? Or did the other eggs hatch different beings?

Feel free to ask for elaboration if anything is confusing, I haven't settled on anything yet.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

bowisneski wrote:
If Judy crossing over activated Sarah, did it activate while she was in the grocery store which caused what I've assumed to be a flashback, since she refers to men coming and men came the night she was first frogmoth-ed.
Remember that Sarah is already under the influence of Judy at this point, the men I understood as being Cooper, Blue Rose Task Force, possibly Mr.C.
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

eyeboogers wrote:
bowisneski wrote:
Remember that Sarah is already under the influence of Judy at this point, the men I understood as being Cooper, Blue Rose Task Force, possibly Mr.C.
That had been my assumption too, but as I continue to ponder the negative force that is Judy, I find more avenues of thought and questions opening up. Do you think she was under it's influence from the time she got frogmoth-ed, or is it something that happened later - like the Experiment following Coop in to our world?
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

March 30th, 2016.

FLOOR OPENS UP (Art Department)
HIGHWAY BEHIND CURTAIN (Visual Effects)
TMFAP WHITE EYES (Makeup Effects)
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

Jerry Horne wrote:March 30th, 2016.

FLOOR OPENS UP (Art Department)
HIGHWAY BEHIND CURTAIN (Visual Effects)
TMFAP WHITE EYES (Makeup Effects)
Do we, or at least you, have script access?!?