Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Yeah, I don’t get the sense that Lynch has a problem with the books existing, he just doesn’t want to read them. He hired his own daughter to write one in 1990 (and apparently allowed Sheryl Lee to have TSDoLP on set during FWWM for inspiration), and also apparently sat down for a day with Scott Frost to brainstorm ideas for MLMT.

Most if not all of the “Mark was jealous” quotes in Room to Dream come from Tony Krantz, who overall comes across as a bit of a blowhard who likes to point fingers. He basically says that Lynch is only capable of good work when he has a cowriter or executives reigning him in (*cough* Eraserhead), and Lynch says outright in the book that he would never work with Krantz again after Krantz sided with the execs on Mulholland Drive (Krantz still defends his decision despite the critical acclaim Lynch’s cut of Mulholland Drive got). So I don’t put so much stock in his vaguely defamatory quotes about Mark.

Although, come to think of it, maybe the fact that that stuff made it into the book at all annoyed Mark. Who knows.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yes, Lynch says he never read the Secret Diary despite Jennifer writing it and Sheryl leaning on it heavily for FWWM. Do I believe that? I'm not sure - the film and the book feel like two parts of the same piece to me. And Lynch has always been a proponent of remembering things the way he wants to, not necessarily how they happened. That holds to today with his recent comments about the first two seasons which I don't believe for a second. Point is, it's not something to overthink where he's concerned, with Frost or his own daughter.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I’m sure Engels read TSDoLP and it influenced his contributions to the FWWM script; and if Scott Frost says he brainstormed ideas with Lynch for MLMT, I’m sure Lynch frequently also talked to Jen about what was going into TSDoLP, both contributing ideas and giving feedback on her own thoughts. It was all a pretty fluid process then, I gather. I’m sure some of TSDoLP came directly from Lynch’s thoughts, and some other stuff he became aware of through various means. I do take him at his word that he refuses to actually sit down and read the books out of some superstition that they’ll break his ability to tell stories in this world, but there’s no resentment behind it. If anything, it’s a sign of trust that he let Mark go write his books without so much as discussing the content, whereas he was more hands-on in terms of guiding the writing of the “classic-era” books. Whatever is or isn’t happening between David and Mark, I’m certainly confident the books have nothing to do with it.
Cappy
Great Northern Member

Post by Cappy »

I imagine Lynch/Frost probably have a strange relationship to say the least, but the stuff about Lynch not reading his books doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me. Lynch and Frost spent like what, a year or two scripting out Season 3? Lynch likely knew most of what would be in the books without ever opening them. I don't feel like he would have much need to read them, at least not in the sense that we as fans felt a need to read them. I personally really liked the books -- it seems like it would be a really weird thing for them to get into a snit over.

Myself, I tend to take the big gaping silence from them about Season 4 as a sign that they've at least been discussing it. I do wonder though, how far apart (or close) their own interpretations of episode 18 are. No two people I've met describe it (and specifically the ending) the same way. I've read David make some kind of general remarks about it, but Mark hasn't said much about it (that I've seen, anyway).

I did read that Lynch's upcoming Festival of Disruption was (mostly) canceled though. Maybe he needs time to prep for his next film/tv project..?
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m sure some of TSDoLP came directly from Lynch’s thoughts, and some other stuff he became aware of through various means. I do take him at his word that he refuses to actually sit down and read the books out of some superstition that they’ll break his ability to tell stories in this world, but there’s no resentment behind it.
Agreed.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AgentEcho
RR Diner Member

Post by AgentEcho »

I hate to look too much into Mark Frost unfollowing Lynch on Twitter. Seems like a silly thing on the surface, but in our modern world, it probably means nothing good.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

AgentEcho wrote:I hate to look too much into Mark Frost unfollowing Lynch on Twitter. Seems like a silly thing on the surface, but in our modern world, it probably means nothing good.
Same. It’s such a Perez Hilton / TMZ thing to focus on, and I hate that culture. But at the same time, he did presumably make a conscious decision to do it at some point, and I can’t help wondering why and what it means for TP.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

From Kyle's new show, his character is Dr. Frost:

Is that his natural hair color?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Esselgee wrote:From Kyle's new show, his character is Dr. Frost:

Is that his natural hair color?
Looks natural to me.He is 60 though
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

Here's the trailer for Kyle's new show. His part doesn't look huge based on his time in the trailer. It's going to take a while for me to get used to seeing him without jet black hair though.

baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Dougie with grey hair!!!!

I don't read much at all into Mark Frost unfollowing Lynch on twitter. It's just an admin thing I imagine. They didn't interact much on twitter anyway did they? Mark Frost seems to spend most of his time making political posts and very cool retro TV appreciation posts.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

baxter wrote:I don't read much at all into Mark Frost unfollowing Lynch on twitter. It's just an admin thing I imagine. They didn't interact much on twitter anyway did they? Mark Frost seems to spend most of his time making political posts and very cool retro TV appreciation posts.
I dunno. He still follows Chrysta Bell, and probably plenty of others who have just as little or less to do with his Twitter activities than Lynch. But who the heck knows.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I agree with those of us who are saying it's not an accident that Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter. He did so deliberately. And let's be honest, he knows Twin Peaks fans online keep an eye out like hawks so I doubt it didn't occur to Frost that we'd probably notice.

My bet is either an unpleasant break in their "friendship" occurred (as I suggested in my long previous post) and Frost is just cutting the online ties after the fact; or something that could actually be positive news for at least some of us: Lynch IS interested in continuing the Twin Peaks story but he's let Frost know he wants to do it solo, without Mark. And Mark has been informed of this. If so, and after some of the not-nice (and possibly not-so-honest) things said about Mark Frost in David Lynch's official book... Unfollow.

Personally, I doubt it's because Lynch is already working on new TP without Mark but you must admit, it's a possibility and could explain a rift of sorts between them now.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

There's also a recent Frost tweet about working for a narcissist. One person replied, 'DL ain't that bad'.

Who knows, but my money is on a rift between the two. But that's life, totally out of our control. And not completely surprising.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Hot damn, I hope Brad Dukes - or someone like him at least - is already mapping out the new Reflections...