Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by LateReg »

bosguy1981 wrote:I agree with those of us who are saying it's not an accident that Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter. He did so deliberately. And let's be honest, he knows Twin Peaks fans online keep an eye out like hawks so I doubt it didn't occur to Frost that we'd probably notice.

My bet is either an unpleasant break in their "friendship" occurred (as I suggested in my long previous post) and Frost is just cutting the online ties after the fact; or something that could actually be positive news for at least some of us: Lynch IS interested in continuing the Twin Peaks story but he's let Frost know he wants to do it solo, without Mark. And Mark has been informed of this. If so, and after some of the not-nice (and possibly not-so-honest) things said about Mark Frost in David Lynch's official book... Unfollow.

Personally, I doubt it's because Lynch is already working on new TP without Mark but you must admit, it's a possibility and could explain a rift of sorts between them now.
I agree that there could be a situation where Lynch pursues Twin Peaks paths without Frost, but what would Lynch need to do so? Just Frost's blessing, or are there legal ramifications? Or of course there's just a difference of opinion and the two can't see eye to eye on the future of the project and thus decided there is no future. A further option along those lines is that they were thinking of more Twin Peaks and even brainstorming/writing, but that something else called to Lynch and he let Frost know that he's going to pursue another project instead.

MT's comment about working for a narcissist is interesting, though. I wonder what could be got out of that. Though would Frost consider himself to be working for Lynch, or WITH him? I'd think it would be the latter.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:I agree with those of us who are saying it's not an accident that Frost unfollowed Lynch on Twitter. He did so deliberately. And let's be honest, he knows Twin Peaks fans online keep an eye out like hawks so I doubt it didn't occur to Frost that we'd probably notice.

My bet is either an unpleasant break in their "friendship" occurred (as I suggested in my long previous post) and Frost is just cutting the online ties after the fact; or something that could actually be positive news for at least some of us: Lynch IS interested in continuing the Twin Peaks story but he's let Frost know he wants to do it solo, without Mark. And Mark has been informed of this. If so, and after some of the not-nice (and possibly not-so-honest) things said about Mark Frost in David Lynch's official book... Unfollow.

Personally, I doubt it's because Lynch is already working on new TP without Mark but you must admit, it's a possibility and could explain a rift of sorts between them now.
I agree that there could be a situation where Lynch pursues Twin Peaks paths without Frost, but what would Lynch need to do so? Just Frost's blessing, or are there legal ramifications? Or of course there's just a difference of opinion and the two can't see eye to eye on the future of the project and thus decided there is no future. A further option along those lines is that they were thinking of more Twin Peaks and even brainstorming/writing, but that something else called to Lynch and he let Frost know that he's going to pursue another project instead.

MT's comment about working for a narcissist is interesting, though. I wonder what could be got out of that. Though would Frost consider himself to be working for Lynch, or WITH him? I'd think it would be the latter.
Frost's comment could be about anybody. Hopefully it isn't about Lynch.

Not sure of the legal ramifications but Lynch did do FWWM without Frost...I suppose if he really wanted to, Lynch could do future TP without Frost.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I believe Lynch and Frost have an agreement in place where both need to sign off on anything Twin Peaks related. So if one says no to a new series, it won't happen or it would just end up in court. More than likely, an agreement would take place and one (Frost) would be paid off.

Maybe Lynch could do Season Four and Frost could direct a spin-off series?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Jerry Horne wrote:I believe Lynch and Frost have an agreement in place where both need to sign off on anything Twin Peaks related. So if one says no to a new series, it won't happen or it would just end up in court. More than likely, an agreement would take place and one (Frost) would be paid off.

Yes, I am sure that must be right, but somehow Lynch managed to maneuver FWWM without Frost (except for a producer credit). I am assuming he threw his weight around. Or maybe Frost just didn't care at that point?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I don't think Frost would class himself as working 'for' David Lynch. I think you guys read these tea leaves way too hyperbolically. This is not the first time you've seen one innocuous thing and woven an elaborate backdrop in hours (I should know, I've done it too).
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

mtwentz wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:I believe Lynch and Frost have an agreement in place where both need to sign off on anything Twin Peaks related. So if one says no to a new series, it won't happen or it would just end up in court. More than likely, an agreement would take place and one (Frost) would be paid off.

Yes, I am sure that must be right, but somehow Lynch managed to maneuver FWWM without Frost (except for a producer credit). I am assuming he threw his weight around. Or maybe Frost just didn't care at that point?
Or Frost just said "Okay, make the movie. Sounds good."

I hope Frost got paid up front for FWWM rather than a percentage of the profits.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jacob
Roadhouse Member

Post by Jacob »

Honestly, given how the shooting went on, it was a ticking bomb before the duo fell apart again. I mean Lynch did everything to be above Frost, it was the point of writing the script as huge feature film : so the director can be above the writers. Maybe Frost didn't understand it at first, but yeah, this time, unlike season 1 & 2, he wasn't the showrunner. There wasn't a showrunner, really. There was only a director. So maybe Frost went under the impression he was being used. In a way, it was probably the case. Lynch can be like that sometimes.

Anyway, if there is really a riff between the two, it's, sadly, a good news. Because I don't think it can be about anything else than TP. If Lynch's doing season 4 on his own, I'm sure Frost would still be credited as an EP (plus as a co-creator obviously). Bring Bob Engels back !
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

Given the years of fastidious analysis and precise dissection of every word, every glance, and every twitch in Twin Peaks, these guys could very well be fucking with everyone, just to see how far an unfollow could be taken by an audience of Philosophers, Theorists, Detectives and Fanatics.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

The “narcissist” comment was in response to someone else’s tweet about Frost’s favorite political target who will remain nameless here. He was comparing an experience in his past to current events. There’s no way it was about Lynch, he would never say that he worked for Lynch. And, again, in terms of Lynch “taking over” the show, Mark was very vocal in his praise of Lynch’s direction on the show long after the full show had aired, calling him one of the best directors alive and putting him in a class with Hitchcock, IIRC. I’m pretty confident that’s not the issue, if there is even an issue.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Mr. Reindeer wrote: There’s no way it was about Lynch, he would never say that he worked for Lynch.
Excellent point.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Isn't Twin Peaks under Lynch/Frost production or now is it under Rancho Rosa? Also looks like Rancho Rosa was formed back in 2015 I guess by Lynch and Frost. Doesn't make sense to create a production company to just produce one Season.Maybe there is more to come...
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:Isn't Twin Peaks under Lynch/Frost production or now is it under Rancho Rosa? Also looks like Rancho Rosa was formed back in 2015 I guess by Lynch and Frost. Doesn't make sense to create a production company to just produce one Season.Maybe there is more to come...
I wouldn’t read too much into the intricate web of production companies, holding companies, etc. that exist in Hollywood. It’s pretty routine these days for a film production to set up an LLC for one standalone production. I have no clue what type of legal entity Rancho Rosa is. But I’m pretty sure Lynch/Frost Productions was dissolved as an entity in the early 1990s. So in any event, they would have to set up some entity for this show, whether it was a new iteration of L/F or RR or (what seems to have happened) some combination. I don’t think we can read anything into any of that. It’s all just legal and financial technicalities.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:Isn't Twin Peaks under Lynch/Frost production or now is it under Rancho Rosa? Also looks like Rancho Rosa was formed back in 2015 I guess by Lynch and Frost. Doesn't make sense to create a production company to just produce one Season.Maybe there is more to come...
I wouldn’t read too much into the intricate web of production companies, holding companies, etc. that exist in Hollywood. It’s pretty routine these days for a film production to set up an LLC for one standalone production. I have no clue what type of legal entity Rancho Rosa is. But I’m pretty sure Lynch/Frost Productions was dissolved as an entity in the early 1990s. So in any event, they would have to set up some entity for this show, whether it was a new iteration of L/F or RR or (what seems to have happened) some combination. I don’t think we can read anything into any of that. It’s all just legal and financial technicalities.
I dont think Lynch/Frost productions is dissolved. The logo was shown at the end of every episode of Season 3
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Jacob wrote: Bring Bob Engels back !
And Harley Peyton!
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Jerry Horne wrote:Maybe Lynch could do Season Four and Frost could direct a spin-off series?
The Fusco brothers being the natural choice for the spin-off.