Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jerry Horne »

Twin Peaks. The Musical.
Attachments
Goddard-Image-7.jpg
Goddard-Image-7.jpg (171.6 KiB) Viewed 9184 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

LOL :D

Would love to be in a theater though watching a scene from the Red Room with the strobe lights and Bob slinking out from behind the curtain. I’m not sure how they would manage the talking backwards part, so I guess it would have to be recorded.

A girl can dream . . .
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

From Guardian interview over the weekend:

You’ve often described creative ideas as fish. Are the fish biting at the moment?
Well, as you know if you ever fished, you have to have patience – some days you catch some, some days you don’t. I am fishing now, and I’m gathering fish together, but I haven’t started cooking them. Right now, I’d say the ideas are in the world of sculpture and painting.

Full interview at https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... l-festival

He also denies that a lack of funding is the main reason he’s not working on a film/show: “But money won’t do any good if you don’t have the ideas. In fact it can just add pressure. So if I had ideas, then the money would be beautiful.”
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It doesn't look good at this point.

I like the observation I read recently about the final shot of S3. Laura whispers in Coop's ear but we don't hear what she's saying, unlike S2 where they felt the need to add "My Father killed me." The final shot reclaims that mystery...into eternity it seems.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Jerry Horne wrote:It doesn't look good at this point.

I like the observation I read recently about the final shot of S3. Laura whispers in Coop's ear but we don't hear what she's saying, unlike S2 where they felt the need to add "My Father killed me." The final shot reclaims that mystery...into eternity it seems.
I've always loved the idea that that shot would be the last thing we ever see -- the mystery restored, basically.

And while I don't expect we'll get more Twin Peaks I will just remind everyone that Lynch (and Frost) lied to us for years in interviews, saying they did not have ideas for more Twin Peaks even while they were actually planning and writing it. If they are going to be planning/writing more, they'll lie to us (including to reporters) again.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

bosguy1981 wrote:

I've always loved the idea that that shot would be the last thing we ever see -- the mystery restored, basically.

And while I don't expect we'll get more Twin Peaks I will just remind everyone that Lynch (and Frost) lied to us for years in interviews, saying they did not have ideas for more Twin Peaks even while they were actually planning and writing it. If they are going to be planning/writing more, they'll lie to us (including to reporters) again.
Yep, the lying-tactic has been used before. Back in January Sabrina Sutherland obviously lied about the reason she made the inquiry about that black woman she wanted contact info about.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I just want him to do SOMETHING in film. Clearly he’s not feeling any pressure from his mortality, but I am! He’s expressed so little interest in getting another movie going over the past thirteen years (aside from the tremendous gift/Herculean undertaking of TP:TR, of course), and the possibility that there may never be another new David Lynch movie feels sadly possible. Of course, he still seems to have tons of energy and I’m optimistic that the right idea will catch him at some point. But none of us are getting any younger, and I still hope he gives us Ronnie Rocket, Antelope Don’t Run, and at least one or two more original properties before he officially retires to his painting studio for good. I’d love more TP, too, if he and Mark catch the right idea, but I’m also perfectly content with it ending the way it did. (I felt exactly the same way about the end of S2.)
bowisneski
RR Diner Member

Post by bowisneski »

I've still been optimistic about more(assuming a movie Showtime if we get anything), but this quote from Deadline always made me wary
“For me,” he explains, “the pilot—the original pilot—is Twin Peaks, and this one here is Twin Peaks.” Why not Season 2? “Well, what happens in television, I think, is, there are different directors, different writers, and it’s just the way things go. It drifts away. This hopefully brought it back into a true world of Twin Peaks.”
We ended the show pared down to the basest elements of the show leaving us with just the town, Dale Cooper, Laura Palmer, her trauma, and an endless mystery.

I also think it's interesting that he ended Part 17, which was sort of the end of the world of Twin Peaks as we knew it, and opened Part 18 very similar to the way he described what Twin Peaks was to Angelo.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

I hope that remains a mystery forever, regardless of whether there's more Twin Peaks or not. It's so incredibly potent. To me, anyway.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I just want him to do SOMETHING in film. Clearly he’s not feeling any pressure from his mortality, but I am! He’s expressed so little interest in getting another movie going over the past thirteen years (aside from the tremendous gift/Herculean undertaking of TP:TR, of course), and the possibility that there may never be another new David Lynch movie feels sadly possible. Of course, he still seems to have tons of energy and I’m optimistic that the right idea will catch him at some point. But none of us are getting any younger, and I still hope he gives us Ronnie Rocket, Antelope Don’t Run, and at least one or two more original properties before he officially retires to his painting studio for good. I’d love more TP, too, if he and Mark catch the right idea, but I’m also perfectly content with it ending the way it did. (I felt exactly the same way about the end of S2.)
Pretty much agree with every word.
I was content with the S2 finale as well, and I'm more than content with this one, that being said, I would jump at the chance to take another journey into that world.
I'll see you in the trees
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Rainwater wrote:

I was content with the S2 finale as well, and I'm more than content with this one, that being said, I would jump at the chance to take another journey into that world.
Like the saying goes, who knows where and when. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ja ... ies-return .
What is one thing that fans can expect from the revival, if we can talk in very broad terms?

Hmm. One thing I can guarantee they will see — they will see a cup of coffee fly through a window. Just to give you one mundane specific. I hope that they walk away from the end of this next chapter feeling like it all comes together and it all makes sense.
End of the next chapter? More chapters to come? Though this article is from 2014, I still have a bit of hope
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I just don't see any new evidence to suggest there's a definitive no (or yes for that matter) on Season 4. If there is some I'm not familiar with it. People are welcome to educate me.

If Season 3 is the end then I'm fine with that, but at no point this time around has Lynch talked about the end of Twin Peaks in as concrete and brutal terms as he did in, say, 1992-3 and then for almost two decades afterwards.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I agree- everything is consistent with Lynch's original comments after the show aired that a new season would take 4-5 years.

I must admit that I am less hopeful now though, simply from the mortality angle. I used to have the strong impression that they had already mapped out a potential S4, but I'm now sure that that isn't true. I wouldn't be surprised if more was announced, but I have a hunch that it won't happen.

I think all comments from Lynch on the subject can't be trusted though. He is simply saying whatever he needs to to move the interview on.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

bob_wooler wrote: Yep, the lying-tactic has been used before. Back in January Sabrina Sutherland obviously lied about the reason she made the inquiry about that black woman she wanted contact info about.
I read something about that, but what was she lying about?
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

bosguy1981 wrote:

Is this true though? All I remember from the nearing but pre-announcement era was Lynch saying to Wise: "Well, Ray, you know, the town is still there. And is suppose it's possbiel that we could revisit it. Of course, you're already dead, but we could maybe work around that." Now that was tantalizing, to say the least, and in no way a denial. I'm having trouble recollecting any ''dead as a doornail''-esque statements during the time L&F would have actually been writing.
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I just want him to do SOMETHING in film. Clearly he’s not feeling any pressure from his mortality, but I am!
This made me chuckle, as it is a sentiment I share. Clock's ticking!!
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

Post by yaxomoxay »

Soolsma wrote:
bosguy1981 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote: Clock's ticking!!
Not in his mind as he expects to reincarnate... hopefully he's not thinking that he'll come up with a good script in his next life (which could be a thousand years from now!)