Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Soolsma »

Wally Brando spin-off confirmed!!
brando.PNG
brando.PNG (316.33 KiB) Viewed 8535 times
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

:-D
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The absolute silence from Frost and Sabrina Sutherland is very suspicious. There's no way they are not aware of this social media craziness of these last few days.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I wouldn't put too much stock in tweets or other comments from actors at this stage of things. With an exception here and there, I suspect only Kyle would be told in advance about the series possibly continuing. Only after announcing it to the rest of the world would they go about contacting all the cast and crew to give them a heads-up. I mean, they're smart enough to know it will leak as soon as they start talking to cast so why not just make a big, flashy announcement first? I would suggest only Kyle and the major creative people (Sabrina, Deming, etc.) would get advanced word.

Michael Horse's post may just be in response to rumors and people being nosy -- basically him lifting up the "Keep the Mystery Alive" idea.

Another thing to keep in mind - I still think it's at least possible that if there's more Twin Peaks happening, it's Lynch without Frost this time. (Maybe it's unlikely, but I still think it's possible especially after Lynch heavily rewrote S3 from all accounts). So Harley Peyton (friend of Frost) saying he finds a fourth season unlikely may refer more to his doubts about another Frost/Lynch collaboration happening again. We should keep an open mind as to the possibilities about how this all might come together. (And I really hope it does).
Cheater_07

Post by Cheater_07 »

^ Not such a weird idea, in the sense that... the continuation of Twin Peaks... might not exactly be the continuation of 'Twin Peaks'.
History is rewritten, or whatever that brilliant last episode told us... something's wrong and different.

Maybe they're working on a sort of spin-off series, maybe even with a different name for the show. But that might be just my brain trying to understand how Twin Peaks can still continue while at the same time they're releasing another complete box set. Technically a series with a different name, but about the same universe as Twin Peaks, wouldn't have to be in that box set.

It's either this... or a movie.
Or nothing. :lol:
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Panapaok wrote:The absolute silence from Frost and Sabrina Sutherland is very suspicious. There's no way they are not aware of this social media craziness of these last few days.
Both are very aware.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really hope Frost is involved. I love FWWM (to me it is the high point of Twin Peaks), but I find the regular ignoring of Mark Frost to be somewhat bizarre (and I don't mean here, I mean in general culture). I'd be really bitter if I was Mark Frost.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I can’t understand anyone who watched the BTS stuff from the TP:TR Blu Ray, with the clearly packed production schedule, and still thinks, “They clearly had plenty of extra time to secretly film a whole other season.”

In regards to Frost, Lynch and Frost co-own TP. There’s no way another season is made without, at the very least, Mark’s blessing. But there is absolutely no reason to believe he wouldn’t be involved as a cowriter, and that’s absolutely the way it should be. Reports of Lynch rewriting the season are greatly exaggerated. One only has to read/listen to the many interviews with Mark to understand that the spine of the season remained completely faithful to the script, and core ideas like Dougie and the Vegas setting (just to name two) were either Frost’s idea or a true collaboration. Lynch just added/expanded some stuff on set. The Audrey thing is the only example of a true rewrite I can recall, and we all know the story behind that.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

The issue I have with taking things like this as positive hints is that a comment like the one in the tweet is still exactly what someone would say if there is no new Twin Peaks forthcoming. It's better surely to not rule anything out or to just not address the rumour (as perhaps Frost is doing). We'll probably find out soon either way, but all these hints are reallyyy insubstantial I think.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Agree with all that Reindeer said.

And there's a tendency on this forum(and maybe elsewhere) to construct this narrative of some continuous creative and personal rift between L & F, which simply isn't there. We all know they had their differences in the past, but that was a very long time ago, long before their recent lengthy collaboration which both of them enjoyed immensely by all accounts. This kind of stuff where fans are constantly speculating about the thoughts and relationships of two strangers is just petty gossip and the attempt to create drama where there most likely isn't any.
(This isn't about anyone here in particular, it's just something I've noticed happening a lot over the years, and gets on my nerves)
I'll see you in the trees
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

There's also the possibility Sutherland and Frost's silence is because there simply is not a definite yes or no yet. (Pre-)Production might not have started and things are still in the ''never say never'' phase. Which is why they are not confirming nor denying.

Of course they got wind of the recent excitement. But this would be the how manieth time that there was a bunch of rumors during the entire lifespan of the show?

Of course I love to be an optimist, but I'm a realist as well.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

Metamorphia wrote:
The issue I have with taking things like this as positive hints is that a comment like the one in the tweet is still exactly what someone would say if there is no new Twin Peaks forthcoming. It's better surely to not rule anything out or to just not address the rumour (as perhaps Frost is doing). We'll probably find out soon either way, but all these hints are reallyyy insubstantial I think.
I mean there's no reason they couldn't just say, "No, I haven't heard anything like that." Of course people would still accuse them of just trying to throw people off the scent, but still.
BGate
RR Diner Member

Post by BGate »

krishnanspace wrote:The tweet also says that the persons name appears in the opening credits and in season 3 none of the actors names appear in the opening credits and we know it’s not David and Mark. That only leaves us with 10-15 other people

not even: Johanna Ray, Krista Husar, Duwayne Dunham, Peter Deming, Christine Larson-Nitchze and Sabrina. Obviously I think we can rule out Sabrina so that's down to 5. If there's anyone who would probably have to know early on I would imagine it's the casting folks, so they're a good bet.

Not that it really matters, obviously any of these people would be considered inner circle. Just a fun guessing game. Anyone know if any of these people were a guest on this podcast? That would explain them having contact info.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

My rational thinking mind is reminding me that there are those two box sets coming out before the end of the year.

I personally think that any announcement was due to come in 2020. Someone has gotten wind that the trees are blowing and now it's out there.

I still think we'll need to wait for the announcement because, if they do it now, those box sets will surely not sell well at all?

My wishful thinking mind is that the Z to A box set will contain a special feature, filmed at the Salish on the two days that it was closed, that is our in to wherever season 4 or a movie is going to go.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

BGate wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:The tweet also says that the persons name appears in the opening credits and in season 3 none of the actors names appear in the opening credits and we know it’s not David and Mark. That only leaves us with 10-15 other people

not even: Johanna Ray, Krista Husar, Duwayne Dunham, Peter Deming, Christine Larson-Nitchze and Sabrina. Obviously I think we can rule out Sabrina so that's down to 5. If there's anyone who would probably have to know early on I would imagine it's the casting folks, so they're a good bet.

Not that it really matters, obviously any of these people would be considered inner circle. Just a fun guessing game. Anyone know if any of these people were a guest on this podcast? That would explain them having contact info.
Two of them have been a guest on the podcast.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*