TPA Music Descriptions

Discussion on the music of Twin Peaks

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

hopesfall
RR Diner Member

TPA Music Descriptions

Post by hopesfall »

I was wondering if anybody has, or if anybody knows the online location of, the small 'blurbs' that came long with each release of the Twin Peaks Archive music. As some may recall, there were short decriptions and trivia given along with the songs as they were released chronologically back in the day. I enjoyed some of the info given, and got thinking about them just the other day, and was hoping they were all still available somewhere.

Many thanks! :D
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Re: TPA Music Descriptions

Post by AXX°N N. »

You can find them (all save one, I think) if you go back over old entries on the Welcome to Twin Peaks site. They're under the tag "music" I believe.

I was actually thinking about archiving these soon, in case they disappeared. If someone faster than me were to get on it, that'd be great.
Last edited by AXX°N N. on Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Right on this board:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1735
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

Thank you both! I think I'll just save the images from the forum post.

Incidentally, it's been wonderful reading back through that thread again. Few people on there that haven't posted in a while too, I do hope they're ok (Ross, etc). I suppose that's for another thread. I remember the excitement we were all feeling as the announcements trickled in, like it was just the other day! Being an absolutely massive fan of the soundtracks, I think I was equally as thrilled about the new music as I was with the announcement of a new season.

Thanks again, I'll enjoy compiling these and reading back through them!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

hopesfall wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:58 am Thank you both! I think I'll just save the images from the forum post.

Incidentally, it's been wonderful reading back through that thread again. Few people on there that haven't posted in a while too, I do hope they're ok (Ross, etc). I suppose that's for another thread. I remember the excitement we were all feeling as the announcements trickled in, like it was just the other day! Being an absolutely massive fan of the soundtracks, I think I was equally as thrilled about the new music as I was with the announcement of a new season.

It was especially great not only because it was a lull in TP attention since the last time it got a DVD reissue/new features, but because it went into such graphic detail on the music from a purely music geek standpoint. Being totally ignorant in that way, it really added not only to my appreciation of the old soundtrack, but equipped me with certain perspectives and language that helped me appreciate the sound design of S3; for instance, it let me trace a line from things like the slowed down American Woman (to the point it becomes a new song entirely) or the super-slow Beethoven played over the Woodsman encounters (to the point it's unrecognizable as anything but melodic drone) all the way back to the Slow Speed Orchestras of the old show.

Given that it was Dean Hurley who put these descriptions together and was (for quite a long time) trawling through the archive material, in retrospect it seems very, very likely (especially given the timeframe) that it was all along actually part of his process in order to be able to better craft the sound design going into S3.

BTW, it would be a wonderful resource if your compilation was publically available, but no pressure!
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

AXX°N N. wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:35 pm
hopesfall wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:58 am Thank you both! I think I'll just save the images from the forum post.

It was especially great not only because it was a lull in TP attention since the last time it got a DVD reissue/new features, but because it went into such graphic detail on the music from a purely music geek standpoint. Being totally ignorant in that way, it really added not only to my appreciation of the old soundtrack, but equipped me with certain perspectives and language that helped me appreciate the sound design of S3; for instance, it let me trace a line from things like the slowed down American Woman (to the point it becomes a new song entirely) or the super-slow Beethoven played over the Woodsman encounters (to the point it's unrecognizable as anything but melodic drone) all the way back to the Slow Speed Orchestras of the old show.

Given that it was Dean Hurley who put these descriptions together and was (for quite a long time) trawling through the archive material, in retrospect it seems very, very likely (especially given the timeframe) that it was all along actually part of his process in order to be able to better craft the sound design going into S3.

BTW, it would be a wonderful resource if your compilation was publically available, but no pressure!
Wow, yeah, I never really considered that it may have been part of some kind of build-up to The Return. Whatever the reason, I'm so grateful for it. I listen to it often, just shuffling it to get lost in. Dean really did do a stellar job in curating it, I hope he knows how appreciated it really is.

Oh, I did put as many pictures as I could together. There's over 50 here, but I think one or two didn't end up getting posted in amongst all the excitement. 😂

Here's the link: https://mega.nz/file/1MkDhQDT#-1uuIz1xy ... qadka150mc

Admins: If posting the link publicly contravenes any forum rules, then I will gladly remove it.