Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Panapaok »

Curious and curiouser...
Last edited by Panapaok on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm not sure I'm following what you guys mean about the nudity angle or what it might mean? There was nudity in Season 3.
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Only 2 things make me think that it’s not twin peaks.
1. No Mark Frost
2. It’s on Netflix

But on the other hand , Showtime has completely removed all the 15 sec recaps of all the parts from the YouTube channel
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

eyeboogers wrote:Sabriana Sutherland has been semi-attacking Frost and the role he played in the creation of season 3 on several occasions.
Really? What, where, when?
Jonah wrote:I'm not sure I'm following what you guys mean about the nudity angle or what it might mean? There was nudity in Season 3.

Ah, I was mostly reflecting on the bit of the female lead in her 30s, almost certainly a completely new character. From the sound of it, it made me think of a role that's akin to what Watts was for MD, or Dern for IE. The nudity stuff is just an additional bit of information. But, on that: because the nudity required is 'tasteful', I'm now imagining it's required for one of his moving paintings, maybe a Lynchian, Rene Magritte-esque surrealist dreamscape which explores the beauty of the naked female body.
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:I'm not sure I'm following what you guys mean about the nudity angle or what it might mean? There was nudity in Season 3.
There was that casting call thing picked up by a celebrity news site. The idea that I think Soolsma is getting at is that the actress would be one of the leads, and therefore it would be a new direction focusing on a new 30-ish character. It's just speculation. But yes, it could be just a minor part.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Soolsma wrote:I knew you weren't Reindeer.

OK, so on topic: An old tidbit, that of the casting call for a female lead in her 30s, requiring ''tasteful nudity'', becomes quite interesting in the wake of recent rumors that this might still be related to TP. This probably means that whatever story Lynch has to tell, it'll head into a completely unexpected new direction, possibly even more so to Peaks fans.

Also Lynch wanting Dern to shave her head still greatly tantalizes me.

@Jonah, I'm guessing that once official news of a completely new IP breaks it'll probably deserve it's own subforum? Probably we'll have plenty to talk about, including episode discussions. Surely looking forward to that aspect as well.

Do Netflix Originals that get weekly releases exist btw? Would be so strange to have such a massive, dozens of hours of Lynch just dropping on us.
It would be soooo crazy to get multiple hours of new Twin Peaks at once. I remember on the night of the premiere of Season 3, I thought my head was going to explode. It was just so much information.

Lynch asking Dern to shave her head has always suggested more Twin Peaks to me. Diane's red hair was clearly fake, purposely too red to be natural... like the blue rose, man made. Since we don't know the true hair color of the real Diane, a shaved head Diane may be the way she resets her identity. And as you pointed out earlier, Soolsma, a bald Diane would closely resemble Judy.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Just popping in to register my excitement about where this could be headed. When I saw that tweet then came on here it felt very much like the heady days of 2016/17 when we had this amazing thing to look forward to and speculate about.

I'm trying not to get too excited as there's still several things pointing to it not being Peaks but in this horrible year, it's nice to dream.

My mind wanders to the period last year when we got all those cryptic social media posts from cast members, the Hollywood Horror Museum tweet and didn't we also see a photo of Peter Deming in Snoqualmie not too long before lockdown.

I have my concerns about Frost not being involved. But then I remember that FWWM is my favourite movie of all time and remember we'd be in safe hands.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Yep, what latereg said. However, the word 'lead' was definitely used.

Oh BTW. For those skeptical about the rumors, I will mind you that nearly every piece of information that leaked in the pre-TPTR era turned out to be true. Except for maybe large parts of this one, from 2012:
Larger picture: https://ibb.co/0K4Rtt5.
(Ugh, I can't even add attachments to the board anymore. Also, I get a bunch of errors all the time, anyone else?)

Young female reporter huh? Might this have ended up in Lynch's box of ideas?

(I'm fully aware of the level of straw grasping of this post)
sneakydave wrote:I have my concerns about Frost not being involved. But then I remember that FWWM is my favourite movie of all time and remember we'd be in safe hands.
Same, and that is a very good point that I didn't consider yet since being bummed about Frost denying involvement.
Last edited by Soolsma on Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Soolsma wrote:Yep, what latereg said. However, the word 'lead' was definitely used.

Oh BTW. For those skeptical about the rumors, I will mind you that nearly every piece of information that leaked in the pre-TPTR era turned out to be true. Except for maybe large parts of this one, from 2013:
Larger picture: https://ibb.co/0K4Rtt5.
(Ugh, I can't even add attachments to the board anymore. Also, I get a bunch of errors all the time, anyone else?)

Young female reporter huh? Might this have ended up in Lynch's box of ideas?

(I'm fully aware of the level of straw grasping of this post)
sneakydave wrote:I have my concerns about Frost not being involved. But then I remember that FWWM is my favourite movie of all time and remember we'd be in safe hands.
Same, and that is a very good point that I didn't consider yet since being bummed about Frost denying involvement.
This leak always came out as fan fiction to me. Hope it’s something that Lynch thought about.

I do get the MySQL error lot of times.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

The Mark Frost departure does strike me as awfully bizarre. Even if he didnt want to write it, I would think he'd still stay on as Exec Producer.

Though he was not hands-on involved in TP FWWM and was off shooting Storyville, he still had an Exec Producer credit on FWWM, so it had his sanctioning, he was paid, if even ceremoniously, and Robert Engels came from the Frost orbit to step in. Engels was I believe an undergraduate student in a Warren Frost run drama program in the mid west, and was recommended to Mark. And I'm sure Mark encouraged him to take up the reigns on FWWM.

There have been rifts in the past. Mark Frost was the co writer on the first early 90's Mulholland Drive TV pitch. And I do remember him feeling kicked in the curb in some 2001 interview I read somewhere when it came out as a feature, he felt that it was his title, he wrote the car accident, and he thought he should have at least a 'story by' credit. I think even the Imagine Films 1999 pilot stage of Mulholland irked him, that he was cut out. But I guess he's graceful, and didn't want to go through WGA arbitration.

I remember there were two writers on Star Trek VI (Lawrence Konner, Mark Rosenthal) who had pitched some things around, but most of their material never made it into the screenplay, so Leonard Nimoy and Nicholas Meyer wanted their names off, but it went to some WGA mediator who determined they should get some 'story by' credit, and then Nimoy and Meyer later complained about it in their memoirs. I guess that's not in Mark's nature, and he's willing to stand down, who knows.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I never knew he was involved to that extent. I knew it grew out of an idea for Audrey, but not that he wrote any of it or that he would have liked a Story by credit.

He could still be credited as Executive Producer/Co-creator/Based on characters by on the new series without being involved. His tweet didn't say he wasn't going to be credited or didn't give his blessing or approval.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Hmm I recall an interview when Mulholland Drive came out where Mark called it incoherent or somesuch word and said Lynch is better with a cowriter, but I don’t recall hearing him ever be bitter about lack of credit. In the Bushman book, he takes credit for the title (saying that he lived on Mulholland Drive at the time, although Lynch also lives just off Mulholland Drive and I believe would drive it on a daily basis). He says it was going to be Audrey in Hollywood as we all know, but he doesn’t mention the car crash. Curious if you could track that interview down! He doesn’t say there was ever a pitch, just conversations with him, Lynch and Fenn.

The WGA tends to heavily favor the first writers on a project, even often if none of their work gets onscreen. I supposed it’s theoretically an incentive for writers to look out for one another and not take over jobs someone else is on? But it’s led to many absurd and infuriating results over the years.

I’m sure at the bare minimum Frost will have a “based on characters created by” credit. I think he has to, unless for some reason he asks them to remove it.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m sure at the bare minimum Frost will have a “based on characters created by” credit. I think he has to, unless for some reason he asks them to remove it.
I guess he could actually receive an executive producer credit, even without any creative involvement in the series. It wouldn't be a first.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Panapaok wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:I’m sure at the bare minimum Frost will have a “based on characters created by” credit. I think he has to, unless for some reason he asks them to remove it.
I guess he could actually receive an executive producer credit, even without any creative involvement in the series. It wouldn't be a first.
For sure. He could be an executive producer despite not owning the property anymore (like Sabrina). Given the strange way all this has gone down, it’s hard to know if he would want such an honorific title even if Lynch were inclined to offer. My hunch is no, but who knows!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hmm I recall an interview when Mulholland Drive came out where Mark called it incoherent or somesuch word and said Lynch is better with a cowriter, but I don’t recall hearing him ever be bitter about lack of credit. In the Bushman book, he takes credit for the title (saying that he lived on Mulholland Drive at the time, although Lynch also lives just off Mulholland Drive and I believe would drive it on a daily basis). He says it was going to be Audrey in Hollywood as we all know, but he doesn’t mention the car crash. Curious if you could track that interview down! He doesn’t say there was ever a pitch, just conversations with him, Lynch and Fenn.

The WGA tends to heavily favor the first writers on a project, even often if none of their work gets onscreen. I supposed it’s theoretically an incentive for writers to look out for one another and not take over jobs someone else is on? But it’s led to many absurd and infuriating results over the years.

I’m sure at the bare minimum Frost will have a “based on characters created by” credit. I think he has to, unless for some reason he asks them to remove it.
This article compiles some of the quotes from "Conversations with Mark Frost" as well as some info from other sources. It doesn't specify that the car accident was Frost's idea, but it states that the basic structure they had originally sketched out was kept for the ABC version. This doesn't even go into how Joyce Eliason went from being credited to being a full fledged cowriter on the ABC pilot to not even having a "Thanks to" in the feature version.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/04/mark- ... 202225331/
Last edited by eyeboogers on Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.