Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

eyeboogers wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hmm I recall an interview when Mulholland Drive came out where Mark called it incoherent or somesuch word and said Lynch is better with a cowriter, but I don’t recall hearing him ever be bitter about lack of credit. In the Bushman book, he takes credit for the title (saying that he lived on Mulholland Drive at the time, although Lynch also lives just off Mulholland Drive and I believe would drive it on a daily basis). He says it was going to be Audrey in Hollywood as we all know, but he doesn’t mention the car crash. Curious if you could track that interview down! He doesn’t say there was ever a pitch, just conversations with him, Lynch and Fenn.

The WGA tends to heavily favor the first writers on a project, even often if none of their work gets onscreen. I supposed it’s theoretically an incentive for writers to look out for one another and not take over jobs someone else is on? But it’s led to many absurd and infuriating results over the years.

I’m sure at the bare minimum Frost will have a “based on characters created by” credit. I think he has to, unless for some reason he asks them to remove it.
This article compiles some of the quotes from "Conversations with Mark Frost" as well as some info from other sources. It doesn't specify that the car accident was Frost's idea, but it states that the basic structure they had originally sketched out was kept for the ABC version. This doesn't even go into how Joyce Eliason went from being credited to being a full fledged cowriter on the ABC pilot to not even having a "Thanks to" in the feature version.
I don’t see a link.

Lynch discusses the Joyce Eliason thing in Room to Dream, or his side of it anyway. He says Tony Krantz was insistent that Lynch needs a cowriter to keep him in line, and thus he was paired with Eliason. He says their conversations went nowhere and nothing of hers is in the film. How much you believe this is up to you obviously... I will say again that the WGA heavily favors original writers, so if Eliason had any desire to be credited she probably could have taken it to arbitration and won. The fact that she seemingly didn’t (or else that they found against her if she did) seems to corroborate Lynch’s version.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

It says she's co-producer so she was probably content with that. According to wikipedia, she does produce most of the works she writes, but I think a producer credit is sometimes given to a co-writer? I know Kevin Williamson wrote or rewrote most of the story for Halloween H20 (I think he also wrote some of the dialogue and script but not sure) and only has an executive producer credit, no "story by", while the original writers are credited for the script (maybe that went to WGA).
Last edited by Jonah on Sat Dec 12, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:It says she's co-producer so she was probably content with that. According to wikipedia, she does produce most of the works she writes, but I think a producer credit is sometimes given to a co-writer? I know Kevin Williamson wrote or rewrote most of Halloween H20 and only has an executive producer credit while the original writers are credited for the script (maybe that went to WGA).
She’s not actually credited anywhere in the movie’s credits as a producer, or anything else, though. IMDB and various other sources are wrong (although I think she may have been listed a producer in marketing/press releases?). The whole thing is very odd. Perhaps she asked to have her credit removed since she had so little to do with it?
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:It says she's co-producer so she was probably content with that. According to wikipedia, she does produce most of the works she writes, but I think a producer credit is sometimes given to a co-writer? I know Kevin Williamson wrote or rewrote most of Halloween H20 and only has an executive producer credit while the original writers are credited for the script (maybe that went to WGA).
She’s not actually credited anywhere in the movie’s credits as a producer, or anything else, though. IMDB and various other sources are wrong (although I think she may have been listed a producer in marketing/press releases?). The whole thing is very odd. Perhaps she asked to have her credit removed since she had so little to do with it?
Maybe she was credited as co-producer on the original pilot but the credit didn't transfer to the movie version?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

I have been optimistic there would be a season 4 since 2018, and even more so since a year ago when the HHM rumours broke out. And yes, I admit to being overly optimistic, bet then again, Hollywood-related rumours more often than not turn out to be true.

I am so thrilled that Lynch is making a new series! Whatever it turns out to be, it will be my most anticipated project in the upcoming future... But if it turns out to be Twin Peaks, well... mon dieu, mon dieu !

Regarding Frost's involvement: wouldn't he be at least credited as "created by"? That would seem fair to me, even if he wasn't directly involved with a hypothetical season 4.

P.S. Yes, I also get errors all the time.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Maybe she was credited as co-producer on the original pilot but the credit didn't transfer to the movie version?
Maybe, I don’t think so? The version online doesn’t have end credits, so it’s possible she would have been credited there: https://youtu.be/kcXt3ufaLgc

But she’s not in the producer credits in the opening credits (Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are, since the pilot was done for their studio...odd seeing Howard’s name during that iconic eerie opening car ride!).

Anyway, IMDB specifically says the 2001 (movie) version which she’s definitely not credited on. Who knows lol.
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

Metamorphia wrote:Might explain Frost parting ways too - on the one hand I can picture him being very much interested in the White Sands nuke testing stuff but everything else (frogmoths, the radio station, "this is the water and this is the well" etc) felt like pure Lynch. Especially since we know some of it directly comes from his memory of a mystical night in Yugoslavia in the 60s!
Could you tell me more about this "mystical night", please, or point me to a relevant link / book? I was not aware of this, and I am from Croatia, which was one of the federal states of Yugoslavia until the 1990's, so this surprised me quite a lot and would interest me very much!
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Jonah wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Maybe, I don’t think so? The version online doesn’t have end credits, so it’s possible she would have been credited there: https://youtu.be/kcXt3ufaLgc

But she’s not in the producer credits in the opening credits (Brian Grazer and Ron Howard are, since the pilot was done for their studio...odd seeing Howard’s name during that iconic eerie opening car ride!).

Anyway, IMDB specifically says the 2001 (movie) version which she’s definitely not credited on. Who knows lol.
Credited on wikipedia too and even a movie review lol.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Stavrogyn wrote:
Metamorphia wrote:Might explain Frost parting ways too - on the one hand I can picture him being very much interested in the White Sands nuke testing stuff but everything else (frogmoths, the radio station, "this is the water and this is the well" etc) felt like pure Lynch. Especially since we know some of it directly comes from his memory of a mystical night in Yugoslavia in the 60s!
Could you tell me more about this "mystical night", please, or point me to a relevant link / book? I was not aware of this, and I am from Croatia, which was one of the federal states of Yugoslavia until the 1990's, so this surprised me quite a lot and would interest me very much!
Search for "David Lynch", "Quinoa" :D
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

I just got around to watching Twin Perfect’s video recently, and it makes me wonder what a continuation would look like if you believe his interpretation of the end of The Return that the audience killed the show. I thought his main premise that the original Twin Peaks was a critique of television and a consumer driven audience was good, but I don’t know that some of his ideas branching out of the main idea are that solid when it comes to who and what certain characters represent - even though it made me see things I hadn’t noticed before after 30 years. If Diane is representative of the show in his take on events, if Dern’s bald for a role (which may be a different project), it makes me think of a baby - like a rebirth. A rebirth of the show?

Don’t know if the project’s Twin Peaks related or not, but it’s a nice gift to get before Christmas!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Hester Prynne wrote:I just got around to watching Twin Perfect’s video recently, and it makes me wonder what a continuation would look like if you believe his interpretation of the end of The Return that the audience killed the show.
I hope nobody does
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Soolsma wrote:(Ugh, I can't even add attachments to the board anymore. Also, I get a bunch of errors all the time, anyone else?)
I got this twice when I went to respond to your post:
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

User dugpa_dugpadb already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
This would happen once in a while in the past, but it's been happening a lot recently.

Apparently we've used up all of the storage space for images. A couple of months ago the site became unavailable because we'd used up all of the allotted bandwidth until the end of that month, so at least one of the problems seems to be that we need an upgrade.

I'd be happy to contribute to a collection for the upkeep of the site.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Working on the board issues.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I wouldn't call any of Sutherland's comments re: Season 3 an attack on Frost. It was a lot of discussion of division of creative labor, and it was something Frost generally backed up in his own interviews. Plenty of folks tried to take those comments that way over the last few years but I feel that's inacccurate.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Hester Prynne wrote:I just got around to watching Twin Perfect’s video recently, and it makes me wonder what a continuation would look like if you believe his interpretation of the end of The Return that the audience killed the show. I thought his main premise that the original Twin Peaks was a critique of television and a consumer driven audience was good, but I don’t know that some of his ideas branching out of the main idea are that solid when it comes to who and what certain characters represent - even though it made me see things I hadn’t noticed before after 30 years. If Diane is representative of the show in his take on events, if Dern’s bald for a role (which may be a different project), it makes me think of a baby - like a rebirth. A rebirth of the show?

Don’t know if the project’s Twin Peaks related or not, but it’s a nice gift to get before Christmas!

The Twin Perfect guy 's thoughts about Judy being closure and the ending... I wouldnt take too seriously. I cant remember if Twin Perfect guy ever mentions Bardo Thodol, but I think that's more the intent with the conclusion. DL likes spirituality, the quest for enlightenment, Cooper is highly intelligent, but too much hubris, wants to go above and beyond being a detective, and solve everything and can't achieve enlightenment, one with the universe etc.

all the TV critcism stuff is interesting, not a way I would look at it. Jack Rabbits palace as a stand in for rabbit ear attena really a stretchl. some stuff here and there with the meta for sure. but I think Laura removing her face in S3 is more to say she's achieved enlightenment/ accepted death than saying 'Im a TV character'

Frost loves TV, the fugitive, dont think TP ever meant to be a commentary on 'consumable TV violence', dont think either them have that kind of beef with violence on TV. I think the grief/mourning realism of the pilot is just what their heart was into at the time, dont think it was meant to be a criticism of how Columbo treated human life as disposable.