Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote: I think the grief/mourning realism of the pilot is just what their heart was into at the time, dont think it was meant to be a criticism of how Columbo treated human life as disposable.
LOL he says that? I do think there’s a strong meta element to TR (and to a much lesser extent the original show), but it’s one of only several themes whereas from what I’ve read this guy thinks it’s the only theme. That is just hilarious, though. That’s like calling Hill Street Blues meta for trying to be realistic when most cop shows weren’t.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote: I think the grief/mourning realism of the pilot is just what their heart was into at the time, dont think it was meant to be a criticism of how Columbo treated human life as disposable.
LOL he says that? I do think there’s a strong meta element to TR (and to a much lesser extent the original show), but it’s one of only several themes whereas from what I’ve read this guy thinks it’s the only theme. That is just hilarious, though. That’s like calling Hill Street Blues meta for trying to be realistic when most cop shows weren’t.
I'm paraphrasing a bit. The Twin Perfect guy blathers for literally hours. He has some montages of TV violence and murder mysteries in there of network programs where someone is killed in the first 20 minutes, and isn't grieved that much, and the detective comes in figures it out. He tries to say that DL/MF were criticizing the audience for getting off/on/ comsuming violence, the culture, etc. and wanted to show that death hurts , and people have emotions.

He goes on and on in that video, it gets irritating to watch. he makes a few good points here and there, but really smarmy as a presenter.
Hester Prynne
RR Diner Member

Post by Hester Prynne »

JackwithOneEye wrote:
all the TV critcism stuff is interesting, not a way I would look at it. Jack Rabbits palace as a stand in for rabbit ear attena really a stretchl.
Yes - there were parts that I thought were pretty good, but you’d get to stuff like this, and it’s like huh? Then there was the part about the show really being about the bunny because the bunny represented sugar, and sugar was a representation of love but when Lucy ate it, it got rid of her gas, or he refers to it as wind, and wind represents mystery, so Lucy kills the mystery . . . or something like that :?: .

You are right - the explanations are way too long - the video is over 4 hours! I thought some of his main ideas were pretty decent, but it seemed like he wanted to assign meaning to EVERYTHING in the show, and I think that’s where a lot of his interpretation falls a part because he’s trying to use those to argue his main point. I think if he had just stuck to the main point and didn’t get into the weeds, it would have been better received - not as the literal meaning of the show, but one of many valid interpretations.

Having said all of that, I thought his interpretation of the ending of The Return was pretty good - especially the scene in the Sheriff’s office in Episode 17. Not necessarily sold on all of it, but it’s interesting to think of what the plot of a Season 4 would be given what he proposes at the end. Of course, if Lynch feels like the audience killed the show because we want what we don’t need, then why make more Twin Peaks in the first place? Why would he have made 18 new episodes of The Return - a different way to think of it I guess.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Jerry Horne wrote:Working on the board issues.
Thanks, Jerry. I like the festive colors.

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Hmm I recall an interview when Mulholland Drive came out where Mark called it incoherent or somesuch word and said Lynch is better with a cowriter, but I don’t recall hearing him ever be bitter about lack of credit.
It's a little more complicated, because Frost was referring to what he'd heard about the movie and the pilot, but he hadn't seen either one. This was posted in a thread here back in 2012:
https://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=2135

Luke: "Did you understand what David Lynch's Mulholland Drive was all about?"

Mark: "It started as a conversation David and I were having about a sequel to Twin Peaks. We wanted to take the Audrey Horn character, played by Cheryl, to Hollywood. I proposed Mulholland Drive, which I lived on, as a title. He sold it as a pilot to ABC and then convinced the French that if he shot 45 more minutes, he could make something out of it. I haven't seen it. I heard it was a mess. I knew that the pilot was a mess.

"David's strength and weakness is that he is often able to transcend story because he's such a master creating mood. His failing is that he's not a strong storyteller. He doesn't have a lot of interest in telling a story. He's not as interested in character as fragments of personality. He's a surrealist."

Luke: "He's got a great eye for hot looking women."

Mark smiles: "That was always one of his strengths. The mistake that people make about David is that they assume he's an ironist [saying the opposite of what he means]. He's not. He's a sincere simple guy. He doesn't work things out. He's not that good in logic. When people spend a lot of energy trying to figure out exactly what he meant by Mulholland Drive, I can assure you that he didn't know.
It's a little silly for him to have said that the film didn't have any coherent plot/meaning without having seen it, though we all have moods where we're a bit flippant, so I don't think we should place excessive weight on his attitude here. The plot of MD is actually pretty coherent and meaningful, though it takes a little effort to understand (and some things here and there are difficult to explain as anything other than vestiges of what was meant to be a series). Frost might have had to eat his words given the critical success of the film, illustrated, for example, by the fact that it's #28 on BFI's list of 100 Greatest Films of All Time:
https://www2.bfi.org.uk/greatest-films-all-time
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Ah, thanks for the clarification. It’s been years since I read that. Frost was a little kinder to Mulholland Drive in the Bushman book, saying that ABC treated Mulholland Drive even worse than On the Air (the implication, I think, being that MD deserved better treatment than it got). It’s still not clear whether or not he had seen it. But perhaps he did and changed his mind.

I’d still love to see this alleged interview where he claims he deserved a story credit and that he came up with the car crash, if anyone can produce a link. I’ve read every interview with Frost I could get my hands on over the years, and don’t recall ever seeing that.
JackwithOneEye
Great Northern Member

Post by JackwithOneEye »

Unfortunately I can’t remember where I saw the interview regarding the story credit , it may have been in 1999 , when it was gonna be a thing on ABC. ? Or might been around 2001 not sure .

I was a subscriber to print mags then like Entertainment weekly , where there were news updates that Helen Mirren and Marilyn Manson would play roles when Mulholland becomes a series etc
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

JackwithOneEye wrote:Unfortunately I can’t remember where I saw the interview regarding the story credit , it may have been in 1999 , when it was gonna be a thing on ABC. ? Or might been around 2001 not sure .

I was a subscriber to print mags then like Entertainment weekly , where there were news updates that Helen Mirren and Marilyn Manson would play roles when Mulholland becomes a series etc
I’m sure there’s tons of that stuff didn’t make it online. Ah well.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:Ah, thanks for the clarification. It’s been years since I read that. Frost was a little kinder to Mulholland Drive in the Bushman book, saying that ABC treated Mulholland Drive even worse than On the Air (the implication, I think, being that MD deserved better treatment than it got). It’s still not clear whether or not he had seen it. But perhaps he did and changed his mind.
Pure speculation again but...I think there's a 0% chance that Frost never saw Mulholland Drive, or that he didn't come around on it. Everything he said around the time before, during and after The Return, as well as the very nature of it, implies to me that he was familiar with Lynch's 2000s output, and made peace with Lynch's preferred abstract method of storytelling and structure. I don't think The Return is what it is without Frost having knowledge of at least Mulholland Drive.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Jasper wrote:
It's a little more complicated, because Frost was referring to what he'd heard about the movie and the pilot, but he hadn't seen either one. This was posted in a thread here back in 2012:

Luke: "Did you understand what David Lynch's Mulholland Drive was all about?"

Mark: "It started as a conversation David and I were having about a sequel to Twin Peaks. We wanted to take the Audrey Horn character, played by Cheryl, to Hollywood. I proposed Mulholland Drive, which I lived on, as a title. He sold it as a pilot to ABC and then convinced the French that if he shot 45 more minutes, he could make something out of it. I haven't seen it. I heard it was a mess. I knew that the pilot was a mess.

"David's strength and weakness is that he is often able to transcend story because he's such a master creating mood. His failing is that he's not a strong storyteller. He doesn't have a lot of interest in telling a story. He's not as interested in character as fragments of personality. He's a surrealist."

Luke: "He's got a great eye for hot looking women."

Mark smiles: "That was always one of his strengths. The mistake that people make about David is that they assume he's an ironist [saying the opposite of what he means]. He's not. He's a sincere simple guy. He doesn't work things out. He's not that good in logic. When people spend a lot of energy trying to figure out exactly what he meant by Mulholland Drive, I can assure you that he didn't know.

I remember very well the first time I read these quotes. I was so shocked. I must confess that I always thought that MF was somewhat otiose. But it was not until this interview that I thought that Frost's involvement might actually be a detrimental to the show's quality. If you speak so disrespectfully of what might very well be the greatest masterpiece in film history, how can you be trusted with an equal seat at the table? I've never understood why so many TP-fans always want to emphasize (a bit fanatically even) how both creators are equally important and lift each other to heights that are unreachable by one of them individually.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Hester Prynne wrote:
JackwithOneEye wrote: You are right - the explanations are way too long - the video is over 4 hours!
Why is that (necessarily) too long? If you enjoy something, more is usually better no? There is 18 hours of The Return, would we prefer 20 minutes?

Moreover, TwinPerfect is not verbose at all. On the contrary. I tried making some notes of his analysis, but that was basically impossible. There was no way making his analysis any shorter. The only reason that the clip is so long, is because he covers so much material and gives so much relevant evidence. If he had been verbose, he could easily have made a 15 hour clip with the same material.

I am not a fanboy, by the way. First, his presentation is a bit annoying to many. And more importantly, he is much too confident in his claims (with no room for any doubt whatsoever), especially in his claim that the meta-tv-angle is the ONLY (or nearly the only) theme in the show. And of course, some of his analysis is a bit farfetched and contrived. And of course there is also the paradox of analyzing something that Lynch desires to be 'experienced'.

Still, if we are fair and not judge the man on whether or not we like him, we just have to be impressed by the incredible amount and depth of his analysis, and the sublime connections between interviews with Lynch, his work and other supporting elements/arguments. Although one could have doubts concerning many of the details, his main claim/analysis is incredibly well researched and supported.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rhodes wrote:
Still, if we are fair and not judge the man on whether or not we like him /.../

With one necessary exception - Mark Frost.
Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Post by Rhodes »

Agent Earle wrote:
Rhodes wrote:

What do you mean? I like Frost a lot. I think he is easier to get along with than Lynch for that matter.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

Rhodes wrote: Why is that (necessarily) too long? If you enjoy something, more is usually better no? There is 18 hours of The Return, would we prefer 20 minutes?

Moreover, TwinPerfect is not verbose at all. On the contrary. I tried making some notes of his analysis, but that was basically impossible. There was no way making his analysis any shorter. The only reason that the clip is so long, is because he covers so much material and gives so much relevant evidence. If he had been verbose, he could easily have made a 15 hour clip with the same material.

I am not a fanboy, by the way. First, his presentation is a bit annoying to many. And more importantly, he is much too confident in his claims (with no room for any doubt whatsoever), especially in his claim that the meta-tv-angle is the ONLY (or nearly the only) theme in the show. And of course, some of his analysis is a bit farfetched and contrived. And of course there is also the paradox of analyzing something that Lynch desires to be 'experienced'.

Still, if we are fair and not judge the man on whether or not we like him, we just have to be impressed by the incredible amount and depth of his analysis, and the sublime connections between interviews with Lynch, his work and other supporting elements/arguments. Although one could have doubts concerning many of the details, his main claim/analysis is incredibly well researched and supported.

Ha. I was about to respond, only to realise we’d already had this discussion half a year ago:

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=4134
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rhodes wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Rhodes wrote:

What do you mean? I like Frost a lot. I think he is easier to get along with than Lynch for that matter.
Yeah. Your admiration for him and his work just shines through in every post you make. He's only the most grating, annoying, ne'er-do-well ingredient in the TP-making process.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Heh, over the years plenty of discussions on dugpa.com went in a circular fashion. I was already nearly getting buckled up for yet another lengthy 'bad blood lynch vs frost, yes or no' dispute.

>Twin Perfect. In terms of analysis of some of the meta aspects of the show, I think he at least did a lot better than that ridiculous, yet hugely popular, 'twelve rainbow trout' theory video that came out last year. Still, I've never been big on anyone trying to explain the show in a definitive matter.

Uh oh, here comes Earle. :lol: I'm looking forward to what you'll make of the upcoming project. Guess you must be happy Frost doesn't seem to be involved.

PS: Whoa board updates? I'm now a bookhouse member. Cool! Or has this been there for a while and did I miss it before.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."