Season 4? Or is it over after this? Wisteria/Unrecorded Night? Something else? (Speculation thread.)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jonah
Global Moderator

Re: Season 4? Or is it over after this?

Post by Jonah »

Yeah or maybe the scene with Coop and Diane outside the red room. Maybe that was actually filmed outside but I think the trees and the puddle had a sort of heightened, artificial look.
(Even the Marnie scenes sort of worked in a surreal way, highlighting her alienation.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
enumbs
RR Diner Member

Post by enumbs »

LateReg wrote: I get where you're coming from and note the difference. But I think Lynch was going for a certain artificiality in that (those) scene(s), which lends the sort of weird ambience that you referenced. Which is possibly why enumbs posted it.
It was just a scene that came to mind considering all the talk of artificial exteriors. I generally like Lynch’s lo-fi effects, but this is my least favourite, probably because it does not take place in any kind of supernatural or dream context (although with Twin Peaks who knows?). I don’t think the effect is entirely deliberate, but I expect Lynch let it slide considering the inherently goofy nature of the scene. An odd thing is that the only other scene with a similar feel - the strikingly blue day-for-night scene - also occurs in Part 4. I remember wondering if Albert and Cole’s story would continue to display this kind of crude artifice, but it was mostly in keeping with the rest of The Return after this point.
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

Just came across this podcast interview with Balthazar Getty (posted in May, seems like it was recorded a little earlier?): https://soundcloud.com/deandelray/528-b ... or#t=22:14

He says he's "talking right now" about working with Lynch on something!

He also tells a fun Lost Highway story that I'd never heard.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Not a huge fan of Getty, but it's something, I guess!
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
kingchatterbox

Post by kingchatterbox »

Panapaok wrote:Not a huge fan of Getty, but it's something, I guess!
Yeah, me neither. He always came across to me as a spoiled brat (and he certainly doesn't come across any less spoiled in that interview...) But Lynch seems to like him. Not sure if this is evidence for Unrecorded Night being Twin Peaks related or not, but I thought it was interesting.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

enumbs wrote:
It was just a scene that came to mind considering all the talk of artificial exteriors. I generally like Lynch’s lo-fi effects, but this is my least favourite, probably because it does not take place in any kind of supernatural or dream context (although with Twin Peaks who knows?). I don’t think the effect is entirely deliberate, but I expect Lynch let it slide considering the inherently goofy nature of the scene. An odd thing is that the only other scene with a similar feel - the strikingly blue day-for-night scene - also occurs in Part 4. I remember wondering if Albert and Cole’s story would continue to display this kind of crude artifice, but it was mostly in keeping with the rest of The Return after this point.
The effect has always seemed deliberate in its artificiality to me, and even calls attention to that artificiality, imo. Whether he wanted it to seem realistic and then changed his mind after seeing the artificial way it turned out doesn't really matter to me because the aesthetic fits with the rest of the effects in the series (outside of the very realistic effects of Part 8). That said, on premiere night I was very much confused about all of it, and the driving scene especially stood out like a sore thumb. It was only later that I understood it to be intentional and of a piece with the rest. I think the vibe is also similar to some of the Vegas strip driving scenes.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

So since Balthazar Getty has been talking with Lynch in May, I’m guessing other actors would also have been contacted by Lynch.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

krishnanspace wrote:So since Balthazar Getty has been talking with Lynch in May, I’m guessing other actors would also have been contacted by Lynch.
If this is an original production, one wonders if this means auditions were already occurring before the March shutdown?

Or if it’s TP, one wonders if Lynch was VERY close to beginning production in March 2020, given how little notice cast members got on TR?

Very curious.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

This reminds of someone’s comment where it said that some actor (I think Ray Wise) asked Lynch during filming of the return why he had such a small role and Lynch said that he would be contacted for a future season
Stavrogyn
RR Diner Member

Post by Stavrogyn »

krishnanspace wrote:This reminds of someone’s comment where it said that some actor (I think Ray Wise) asked Lynch during filming of the return why he had such a small role and Lynch said that he would be contacted for a future season
I guess we shouldn't take this as more than a rumor, but I hope it is true. I really liked Ray Wise's role in The Return - it was short, sad, and poignant - and it would completely make sense if Lynch decided that in the new timeline Leland is still alive. It wouldn't be just bringing Wise back because they are friends and because of his Twin Peaks legacy, etc., etc. It might actually be interesting narrative-wise.
All those years living the life of someone I didn't even know - Knight of Cups (2015)
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Maybe that’s the Unrecorded night. When Cooper saved Laura , they were going together in the woods and Laura disappears. The next time we see Laura is in Texas. Maybe if unrecorded night turns out to be Twin peaks, I’m guessing it could be the story of that night and Laura’s future. Most of Lynch’s films have the theme of a woman in distress.

But the fact that Balthazar Getty might be involved does not make sense in my above prediction. His character was not in Twin Peaks in 1989. So if he is involved I’m guessing it has to be some continuation in the present time or it’s a completely new show
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I remember hearing Ray Wise was disappointed to only have two words. I also remember hearing an actor say that Lynch said or implied they'd have more to do in Season 4, but I think it was one of the new actors, unless it was both.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

krishnanspace wrote:So I was checking out Instagram stories and while scrolling through the stories, I came across the official Twin Peaks account. So since Festival of Disruption is going on, George Griffith has taken over Twin Peaks's Instagram account. George had a live video stream going on and one of the viewers asked him "Is there going to be a Season 4??????" to which he replied by taking a pause , looking away from the camera , thinking what to say and he finally says , "I can't talk about it right now".
The video is still available on the Twin Peaks Instagram story but I suspect it won't be available for much longer
Jonah. Also this^^
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

krishnanspace wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:So I was checking out Instagram stories and while scrolling through the stories, I came across the official Twin Peaks account. So since Festival of Disruption is going on, George Griffith has taken over Twin Peaks's Instagram account. George had a live video stream going on and one of the viewers asked him "Is there going to be a Season 4??????" to which he replied by taking a pause , looking away from the camera , thinking what to say and he finally says , "I can't talk about it right now".
The video is still available on the Twin Peaks Instagram story but I suspect it won't be available for much longer
Jonah. Also this^^
I can't find it now unless I'm looking in the wrong place or did they take it down?
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

Jonah wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:
Jonah. Also this^^
I can't find it now unless I'm looking in the wrong place or did they take it down?
This is from last year I guess. It was a live video so it’s not saved