David Lynch's next movie

Discussion of all things David Lynch

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

The giant
Roadhouse Member

David Lynch's next movie

Post by The giant »

Does anyone know if David is working on a new movie?
I'm gonna go out for a sandwich
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Re: David Lynch's next movie

Post by Mikeindustry »

Last we heard it's a documentary about... what... Catching the Big Fish, basically? It's been posted on Dugpa's info page. A documentary about his work with TM and his tours discussing TM.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Well i meant like a cinema movie like EH or FWWM. but thank you though. I'll have to watch that documentary.
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mikeindustry »

I hear ya...

I haven't heard anything, but who knows what the future holds now that he's embraced DV technology, you know?

I was the guy at the Rafael screening of INLAND EMPIRE who asked him if he would consider revisiting something like Ronnie Rocket, now that DV would make it affordable to film, and he kind of dodged the question, but a week later, in England, he mentioned Ronnie Rocket, so I like to think I planted a seed....
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

It would just blow my f'ing mind if he announced his next film as -- 'Twin Peaks: 25 years later'

Oh well. I certainly need a good wake-me-up don't I?
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
John Neff
Roadhouse Member

Post by John Neff »

Hey, Mikeindustry.
I was at the Rafael too, and had a great meeting with David, though he was more interested in where my lady was...
I may be having a screening of a new film there in March.
Do you live in Marin?
Send me a PM.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

Mikeindustry wrote:I hear ya...

I haven't heard anything, but who knows what the future holds now that he's embraced DV technology, you know?

I was the guy at the Rafael screening of INLAND EMPIRE who asked him if he would consider revisiting something like Ronnie Rocket, now that DV would make it affordable to film, and he kind of dodged the question, but a week later, in England, he mentioned Ronnie Rocket, so I like to think I planted a seed....
Haha, yeah. I'd wish he would revisit One Saliva Bubble. That film intrigues me.
Chaosmonger

Post by Chaosmonger »

I've always wanted to see Lynch do a documentary of some sort, ala Herzog, but this TM stuff he's on about lately kinda bores me. Doesn't it cost a bunch of money to start doing TM? Sounds fishy to me.
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mikeindustry »

I find Ronnie Rocket to be more pure Lynch than One Saliva Bubble... I'd like to see both, but I prefer Rocket.

I allmost feel like... like... One Saliva Bubble reminds me of On the Air - and following that logic, it might be better served being directed by someone else? Jack Fisk? Mark Frost?

Something like that.

Maybe it should be turned into a comic book or something....
garland

Post by garland »

Mikeindustry wrote:I find Ronnie Rocket to be more pure Lynch than One Saliva Bubble... I'd like to see both, but I prefer Rocket.
I was thinking the exact same thing, I would be much more curious to see Ronnie Rocket than One Saliva Bubble. It looks like Dark City, in my head. But Lynched up.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

What is Ronnie Rocket about? All I know is that it had to do with a 3 foot guy and electricity.
garland

Post by garland »

It was a project he was hoping to do after Blue Velvet, I believe.
Last edited by garland on Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by The giant »

thanks!
Mikeindustry
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mikeindustry »

Garland, to clarify - it was written after Eraserhead. The short version of the story (and the CORRECT and long version can be found in the new book Beautiful Dark) is that he spent some time trying to raise funds and among other sources, touched base with Francis Ford Coppola's Zoetrope Studios. Sadly, Coppola just ran out of money, but this interaction brought Lynch into the sightline of George Lucas who was looking for someone to direct his third Star Wars film.

Lynch wisely decided against it - noting that a David Lynch film is a DAVID LYNCH film - (ie, in retrospect, it really is DAVID LYNCH's Wild at Heart [as the title says], not Barry Gifford's Wild at Heart) - and that whomever was going to be on the helm of a Star Wars pic would be making a George Lucas film. (More or less...)

But being on the Star Wars Radar put Lynch on Dino DeLaurentis's radar - (or his daughters - and Elephant Man's success didn't hurt, but like I say - this is the sloppy short version) - and thus, Lynch was offered Dune. Part of the deal with DeLaurentis was that he'd get financiing for Ronnie Rocket, but when Dune bombed, that deal came off the table. In exchange, Lynch was allowed a much smaller budgeted movie, and in turn, made Blue Velvet.

In the wake of Fire Walk With Me, the idea again came up that he might revisit Ronnie Rocket - but, again, as with Dune, when FWWM didn't perform, it never panned out...

So... that's a really really sloppy version of that story, but puts it in the correct time frame, and adds context. Over the few years between, say, Eraserhead and Blue Velvet, a number of drafts of Ronnie Rocket came along - there are at least two major versions (same story, but in one it's more "real" and in the other, the activites are more "Lynch") and it's a hell of a read.

I would hope, with today's technology, CGI being what it is, and the cost of filming so much less thanks to digital, that Lynch would think, once again, about revisiting Ronnie Rocket. It's an amazing script - it's pure Lynch. In terms of writing - I think it's his masterpiece.

And, perhaps drifting off topic... Ronnie Rocket and One Saliva Bubble are easy to find, but what about projects like Lumarians, or Dream of the Bovine? Were those scripts completed, or just in half-baked stages? Anyone ever see any version of those, or others?
garland

Post by garland »

Interesting! I am going to have to get that book!